Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2014, 09:52 PM   #1

Cape Cod Mass To Walt Disney World FL

Hi All,
The family and I are planning our first long haul from Cape Cod to Walt Disney world for April Vacation. On the was down I am going to take the Tappenzee Bridge, but not sure (other than south) which route to take from there. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best route to take, I have heard to stay away from 95, but is that still the case? Any and all info will be greatly appreciated. I do have a Garmin Dezl, in hope it will route me away from low bridges. Also thinking of coming back through the blue ridge parkway or Skyline drive for a slower paced drive home.
HethaBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2014, 07:48 AM   #2

It would be nice if you can jump on 75. We've done both 95 and 75 from OH and 75 is the easiest on the engine.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:26 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HethaBeth View Post
Hi All,
The family and I are planning our first long haul from Cape Cod to Walt Disney world for April Vacation. On the was down I am going to take the Tappenzee Bridge, but not sure (other than south) which route to take from there. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best route to take, I have heard to stay away from 95, but is that still the case? Any and all info will be greatly appreciated. I do have a Garmin Dezl, in hope it will route me away from low bridges. Also thinking of coming back through the blue ridge parkway or Skyline drive for a slower paced drive home.
I would come off the cape and pick up 495 to 90 west to 84 west in Sturbridge...stay on 84 to Newburgh,NY and take 87 SOUTH to 287 southwest..45 miles...to 78 west to 81 west ...stay on 81 to Windchester,Va..take I-66 for 25 miles to VA rt 17 around Warrenton,Va to I-95
then straight down 95...stay on 95 thru Richmond as traffic only heavy for maybe 10 miles ..then right down to I-4 in Fla to Disney
A little longer than straight down 95 but so much easier....give me a shout if any questions..Chuck
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:02 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I like I/495 to I/90 to I/84 to I/81 (Scranton, Pa) to I/77 (Wythville, VA) to I/26 (Columbia, SC) to I/95 to I/4 to exit 67.
If the weather is bad I get off I/84 the first exit in PA and take 209 to 33 to I/78 to I/81 just above Harris burg. There is more traffic but you avoid all the PA mountains.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:09 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
I like I/495 to I/90 to I/84 to I/81 (Scranton, Pa) to I/77 (Wythville, VA) to I/26 (Columbia, SC) to I/95 to I/4 to exit 67.
If the weather is bad I get off I/84 the first exit in PA and take 209 to 33 to I/78 to I/81 just above Harris burg. There is more traffic but you avoid all the PA mountains.
COUSIN,i have used those all 3 of these and like them as well,but I thought going out to 77 was a little too far for Disney.....and after Richmond, really clear sailing
the 209 route is good but somewhat slower..will take if plan on staying @ tri-State for the night...all good routes...Chuck
Old 01-29-2014, 07:13 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Cousin,
sorry for the double post but....the trouble with going 84 to 81 in Scranton is...there had been on going construction going down 81 around Hazelton the past cpl years...and the roads thru there have been horrible...Chuck
Old 01-29-2014, 08:02 PM   #7

I would agree with chuckster52 WE do this same trip every april for the last three years and doing out 4th this april. Cant wait!!!
mfd538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:28 PM   #8

Quote:
We formerly lived in CT and have used every route possible and this is far the best, no tolls (heading south) and lots of good campgrounds along the way. Just be sure to have your breaks checked before getting on RT 77. LOL
Dave
Budski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:08 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budski View Post
We formerly lived in CT and have used every route possible and this is far the best, no tolls (heading south) and lots of good campgrounds along the way. Just be sure to have your breaks checked before getting on RT 77. LOL
Dave
Yes, just went thru the northern part of this route twice this winter, once on the way back from FL via Atlanta, once on my way to Newmar. On the way to FL I took I495 - I90 - I84 - I91 - I95 - NJTpk - I95 ... there was no comparison.

I was reminded once again why I don't go through NYC and NJ, especially on the turnpike! Road conditions were really bad all the way thru CT-NY and northern Jersey, at least with the I84 - I81 route I only had really bad roads thru parts of CT and NY. Traffic was OK, but I was going thru NYC at Midnight on a Friday night!

The road construction in PA is still going on but there were two lanes , a breeze compared to one lane with Jersey Barriers on each side like I found in Ohio, not to mention the road under a RR bridge that had two lanes of 6" deep potholes I encountered on my way to the plane at Midway!

The I84 - I87 - I78 - I287 route is something I'd also consider, though I haven't taken it to date. If you go this way I'd be interested in hearing about the road conditions on I87 - I287 - I78 compared to conditions on I84 in western CT thru Newburgh NY.

My personal favorite is a combo of Cousin Ed's route and chuckster52's, I495 - I90 - I84 - I81- I66 - US17 in Warrenton - I95 in Fredericksburg - I4 - Mouse. No tolls going south, only one bridge toll in NY going north, fairly predictable traffic and not too bad weather-wise. If you're worried about weather/construction on I81 in the mountains, you can always take Cousin Ed's alternative that avoids them.

If you feel adventurous you can cut a few miles off by taking I81 to US50 east from Winchester VA to US17 south to I66 then continue on US17 to Fredricksburg. US50 is a 4 lane with red lights for a couple of miles. then US17 is a fairly nice, straight country road through to I66.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:13 AM   #10

Best part of being retired is no route is to long or short for that matter, try route 58 from Bristol TN to Martinsville VA. My wife still isn't talking to me----yes life IS good

Dave
Budski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:31 PM   #11

Oh My Thank you all! I guess I have some thinking to do! I did like reading this one from Luv2go the most "My personal favorite is a combo of Cousin Ed's route and chuckster52's, I495 - I90 - I84 - I81- I66 - US17 in Warrenton - I95 in Fredericksburg - I4 - Mouse. No tolls going south, only one bridge toll in NY going north, fairly predictable traffic and not too bad weather-wise. If you're worried about weather/construction on I81 in the mountains, you can always take Cousin Ed's alternative that avoids them. "
Old 01-30-2014, 09:09 PM   #12

When are you heading down? We are going to be at fort wilderness friday april 25 until the following friday. We will leave NH around the 23rd maybe earlier seeing we got the two weeks off.
mfd538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:10 AM   #13

Oh shoot you will be checking in when we are checking out. We are leaving the 17th and hope to be there by the 18th or 19.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:39 PM   #14

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are planning to go down the first week of April will let you know how the roads are! We live 30 miles north of Newburgh, NY so was really interested in these routes. Thank you!!!!
Plus going to the Cape this summer now I have a good route there.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote