Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-19-2016, 09:32 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Cape Cod to Rose Parade

The DW and I are planning to attend the Rose Parade this year, well technically next year, departing Cape Cod December 1st arriving in Pasadena by December 28th. From Cape Cod we are planning 3 days of just driving south and west to get to I-40 and hopefully better weather, then head west. We have the first 3 days set, we do that several times a year, but from I-40 on I plan to drive every other day so I am looking for suggestions of where to stop, what to see along the way. We are not interested in the world biggest ball of twine, we will save that for another trip, but rather those must see things.

In 2014 we stayed in Memphis and Nashville on our way back from Alaska so we are set there, we also visited the Grand Canyon in July of 2005 on our way from Boston to San Francisco but think it would be nice to see it again in December so that is 1 stop on our list. I would also like to see Bryce and Zion NP's. Our itinerary will not be cast in stone, it will depend heavily on the weather, so I am looking for options. We know that at elevation we are likely to see snow in December, that is not a concern, but I don't want to get into a storm that leaves passes closed and us stuck for 2 days, so that is why I am thinking the I-40 route, with a detour to I-10 if the weather is bad. We are open to all suggestions, thank you in advance.

DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2016, 05:20 PM   #2

Things that we have enjoyed along I-40
  1. Oklahoma City .. the Memorial and museums
  2. Amarillo ... Palo Duro Canyon
  3. Albuquerque ... old town and petroglyphs
  4. Holbrook, AZ ... Petrified forest NP
It is about an hours drive from I-40 to Santa Fe ...the city has lots of interesting art and museum ... two nearby points are Los AlamosB and it you have never seen cliff dwellings Bandelier National monument is nearby

Others will give you more ideas

skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:37 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Cape Cod to Rose Parade

Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post
Things that we have enjoyed along I-40
  1. Oklahoma City .. the Memorial and museums
  2. Amarillo ... Palo Duro Canyon
  3. Albuquerque ... old town and petroglyphs
  4. Holbrook, AZ ... Petrified forest NP
It is about an hours drive from I-40 to Santa Fe ...the city has lots of interesting art and museum ... two nearby points are Los AlamosB and it you have never seen cliff dwellings Bandelier National monument is nearby

Others will give you more ideas

Skigramp, thank you. We are just about set. We are going to stop in Branson for 4 days, then push on to Oklahoma City forb2 days, Amarillo for 2 days then on to the Grand Canyon for 2 days (we were last there in 05).

Our decision now is do we go around the GC and on to Bryce and Zion for a couple days each and then on to Las Vegas for Christmas arriving in Pasadena by 12/28 or do we go straight from GC to LV. Any thoughts from those of you that know the area and the 2nd half of December weather?

We will do Santa Fe, Alamogordo, White Sands and Carlsbad on our way back
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:08 AM   #4

Check the elevation of the places that you visit in December ... higher elevations are more likely to get snow earlier than lower elevations. Remember that Flagstaff is at 7000 feet.

We travelled through Flagstaff the first week of November last year ... there was lots of snow on the ground ... I -40 was clear the day we were there ... but not the day before ... Bryce is much higher than Zion

skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 11:55 AM   #5

I can't tell you where to stop, but I can tell you when....

We used to do a lot of winter traveling (OK 01 December is not real winter even in Massataxes), but the real answer is that you have plenty of time so watch the weather. Carry provisions for about three days and it gets real bad, just hunker down and let the idiots go have their accidents and when the roads are clear, you can go.

We did this a couple of times before we had a self contained coach and it is one of the reasons that we do now.

Frank