Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2011, 08:40 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Carlsbad NM to Payson AZ

We are planing to travel from Carlsbad NM to Payson AZ in mid May. We enjoy traveling on 2 lane roads so long as they are not too curvy or steep. I would like to make the trip on US 285 up to Roswell then US 380 to I 25 then taking US 60 west to Payson. 40ft motor home with a toad, any comments?
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2011, 10:15 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Carlsbad to Payson

I'm sure you already know about the Alien Museum in Roswell. I always get a kick out of the Coke machine out front. The drive on 380 will slow you down a bit in spots as the gentle curves take you to Lincoln and Capitan, but they are not bad. There is an area called Valley of Fires after Carrizozo....an old lava flow.....on the left is a small campground with some hookups. From there, to I-25 there are millions of yuccas (I'm not sure if they are blooming yet) and a tiny spot called Bingham (yes, they have a rock shop). When you get to San Antonio, there is a cafe, which is across the street from the Owl Cafe, you can get (supposedly), the best green chili cheeseburger in the world....although I like mine better. West of Socorro, there are some nice pull-overs to stop for a break and a few miles further is the VLA (Very Large Array). There is a visitor center there....sometimes the huge dishes are spread out wide and sometimes bunched together. Pie Town has a couple of places that will sell you some overpriced slices of pie, but another nice place for a break. Eagar, AZ has a nice little RV park called Bear Paw. Call ahead since they have only a few spots saved for overnighters.....most of the spots are taken by semi-permanent residents, but the spaces are wide and long enough for big rigs. At Show Low you will probably take 260 via Heber......nice alpine area. Enjoy your trip.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:36 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We're the same size and just did a part of that drive in NM. I second the UFO Museum in Roswell. For a relaxing spot to stay try Bottomless Lakes State Park. If you want pics of the park I have some here: http://wheelingit.wordpress.com/2011...rk-roswell-nm/

If you have extra time and haven't been there take a detour off the 380 to the 70 and see White Sands. It's a totally unique spot and well worth the visit. Oliver Lee State Park is a great place to stay there. I've got pics of both White Sands and Oliver Lee on the blog (same link as above).
Old 04-24-2011, 11:24 AM   #4

In Arizona, I recomend taking 260 out of Showlow to Heber then down the rim to Payson. Going this way you will have two lane road from Heber to the edge of the rim then four lane down the steepest part of the drop. There is some road construction going this way but it beats the steep two lane uphill hair pins going the other way. I will NOT tow my tt down and back up the Salt River Canyon west of Showlow.

Take care and have fun. Joe
Old 04-25-2011, 09:55 PM   #5

I agree, the Salt River Canyon is a loooong way down and even longer up reqardless which way you approach it.
Poptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:32 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
I happen to enjoy Salt River Canyon - although we're only a 34-footer, I've seen much larger rigs; 18-wheelers take the route regularly and probably will slow you down a bit. It's gorgeous (pardon the pun) scenery. Do believe the speed limits as you approach and use 3d, or 2d gear.
F&D ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote