Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-18-2016, 09:44 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 38
Question Cascade Loop in Wash and Hwy 101 in OR

Hi! I am in the stages of planning/booking our trip to the NW for a month long adventure. First trip for our new to us/used RV. We are heading out on Hwy 2, stopping for several days in Glacier then on to the Seattle area. Already have red bus tour booked!
I just booked 4 night's stay on Fidalgo Island, just N of Whidbey Island. Trying to decide if we drive through the Cascades on our way to campground or do that trip in our toad, leaving the RV to "rest". Has anyone taken that route while towing?
From there we plan to head south working our way down the Oregon coast on Hwy 101 towards the Redwoods. How is the road for towing a vehicle and finding campsites? I know it will be a slower trip down, but the pictures I see look so beautiful. I also know there are a lot of "dead zones" as far as cell service....would or has the conditions of that road caused you to not take the route? My husband is just wondering if we find somewhere to store the RV and drive that part of the trip in the toad?
Thanks for any input you knowledgeable people can provide.
Sincerely,
Dottedlines
__________________

__________________
Looking for "dotted lines"
dottedlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2016, 09:53 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,382
Daughter and her brood live in Sequim. I've driven 101 numerous times both in WA and OR. Yes, it's slow at times but I don't remember there being any real "show stoppers" as far as doing it with an RV. It is a very scenic trip.
__________________

__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:02 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 118
Didn't say when you plan on driving US 101 on the Oregon coast?

Hwy 101 along the Oregon coast is fine. Hwy 101 in WA and CA is fine for motorhome or trailer towing. CA Hwy 1 is not fit for motorhomes over 32 feet. We did fine in our 29 ft. Trek.

During the summer tourist season it will be slower because of the traffic - as least north of Newport. Plenty of camping spots. Oregon State Parks are wonderful and reasonable. If you go before Memorial Day you may get into many campgrounds during the week. Weekends start to book up. After Memorial Day, best to have reservations. Go online.
__________________
Al Z
2003 Monaco Safari Trek 2810
Coos Bay, Oregon
zekegb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 07:33 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 38
Thanks for the input, it will prove useful in convincing my "driver" to bring our "home on wheels" with us. We will be there in mid-July so we do expect traffic just about everywhere we go. Don't plan on being in a hurry, so that will work. We won't go any further south than the Redwoods, heading to Crater Lake and Yellowstone after that...can't wait!
__________________
Looking for "dotted lines"
dottedlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:56 AM   #5
Senior Member


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Satsop WA
Posts: 1,206
You will have no issues with the roads until leaving the redwoods towards crater lake.
I would suggest having reservations that time of year.

Look into a loop over be the redwoods called the "lost coast".
It's an amazing loop that will bring you out to Ferncrest(?) for dinner.

The route we took to Grants Pass was VERY tight in spots, but we went early on a Sunday morning.
Research that route to get better advice to cross.
Have fun!
__________________
2007 Alpine Limited SE
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 12:10 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
avid_dk's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SW Oregon
Posts: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post

The route we took to Grants Pass was VERY tight in spots, but we went early on a Sunday morning.
Research that route to get better advice to cross.
How long is the OPs motorhome. US 199 is restricted to motorhomes less than 40'. There are threads aplenty about the Redwood Highway or US 199. IMHO it is a lot easier to drive westbound than eastbound. There are a couple of pinch points where there is little/no room to maneuver. It is draw dropping gorgeous. The passenger will enjoy the scenery much more than the driver especially on your first trip through.

In July and especially if it is around the 4th be prepared for many others enjoying the scenery as well. It would be wise to plan your itinerary and book now for State park sites.
__________________

avid
2015 Bay Star 3103, 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:47 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Washington
Posts: 483
|ou have already done half of the Cascade Loop when you come across highway 2. If you want to do the North Cascades NP, you could follow SR20 from Newport, WA instead of following US 2. Either route is very scenic. I maybe missed what kind of RV you have but either route is doable with most anything that will handle reasonable ups and downa.

If you are set on following US 2, you could do a day trip and see parts of the North Cascades, like Diablo Dam. You could drive the whole loop in a long day but I don't think you would enjoy it.

We have driven 101 with a smaller camper than our current one but wouldn't he state to do it with the A. Just come down Whidbey Island and catch the Port Townsend ferry (reservations recommended but not absolutely required). Make time to visit Coupeville, Fort Casey (spend a night there), the Ebey Reserve.
__________________
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 02:17 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
You will have no issues with the roads until leaving the redwoods towards crater lake.
I would suggest having reservations that time of year.

Look into a loop over be the redwoods called the "lost coast".
It's an amazing loop that will bring you out to Ferncrest(?) for dinner.

The route we took to Grants Pass was VERY tight in spots, but we went early on a Sunday morning.
Research that route to get better advice to cross.
Have fun!
Tman59-Thanks! Looks like triptik is routing us on US199, I-5, Hwy 99, OR 234, OR 62; of course they don't take into account we have MH and a toad...wondering if we might be better advised to find a place near interstate to stay (ie Medford) and tour with the toad? We are heading to Tetons from there I think. The lost coast route sounds great, I will research that. We are hoping to stay in that area a couple of nights, any recommendations on campgrounds near Redwoods?
__________________
Looking for "dotted lines"
dottedlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 02:26 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid_dk View Post
How long is the OPs motorhome. US 199 is restricted to motorhomes less than 40'. There are threads aplenty about the Redwood Highway or US 199. IMHO it is a lot easier to drive westbound than eastbound. There are a couple of pinch points where there is little/no room to maneuver. It is draw dropping gorgeous. The passenger will enjoy the scenery much more than the driver especially on your first trip through.

In July and especially if it is around the 4th be prepared for many others enjoying the scenery as well. It would be wise to plan your itinerary and book now for State park sites.
avid_dk, I do not know what OPs stands for, but our MH is 32ft, plus we will be towing our car (two tires down) I will check for other threads re: US199; most likely leaving there around 26th of July; trying to time it all out now (this is hard!) We are used to not reserving and staying wherever we decide to stop, never was a problem in our tents and seldom a problem in our small TT. New adventures for sure! We were at Redwoods 25 yrs ago, but know that it will still be amazing to see. How lucky we are to see it more than once!!
__________________
Looking for "dotted lines"
dottedlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 02:41 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupevilleDF View Post
|ou have already done half of the Cascade Loop when you come across highway 2. If you want to do the North Cascades NP, you could follow SR20 from Newport, WA instead of following US 2. Either route is very scenic. I maybe missed what kind of RV you have but either route is doable with most anything that will handle reasonable ups and downa.

If you are set on following US 2, you could do a day trip and see parts of the North Cascades, like Diablo Dam. You could drive the whole loop in a long day but I don't think you would enjoy it.

We have driven 101 with a smaller camper than our current one but wouldn't he state to do it with the A. Just come down Whidbey Island and catch the Port Townsend ferry (reservations recommended but not absolutely required). Make time to visit Coupeville, Fort Casey (spend a night there), the Ebey Reserve.
CoupevilleDF- Thank you, just looked into going from Fidalgo Isl down thru Whidbey Isl to Coupeville to cross over to Port Townsend, too early to reserve, but that looks like a great way to get over to Olympic Nat'l Park and avoid driving through downtown Seattle towing. Thanks!
Re US 2; was trying to decide if we should pick up interstate in Spokane instead of staying on 2 and then after getting settled at Fidalgo Island, just take car up into Cascades, still mulling it over, but thanks for suggestions/options! We have a 2015 FR Sunseeker Ford Chassis 450 Class C 32 ft ( I think I have that written right)
__________________
Looking for "dotted lines"
dottedlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 06:24 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
avid_dk's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SW Oregon
Posts: 665
dottedlines,

OP means original poster. Regarding staying in Medford and toading from there. It is about a 2:45 drive from Medford to Brookings, OR just north of the Redwoods. A couple hour drive to Crater Lake National Park. Also worth seeing. If you are driving west on 199 you should be able to handle it. Observe the informational speed limit signs, they really mean it. There are some hairpin turns.

Summertime camping in popular destinations especially on weekends requires some advance planning. There maybe place you could find but the not the top locations.
__________________

__________________

avid
2015 Bay Star 3103, 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hwy 166 From I5 to Hwy 101 Glenn and Kathy Navigation, Routes & Roads 8 03-17-2017 12:28 PM
Hwy 101 to Hwy 1 S. Cal Celerator Navigation, Routes & Roads 10 02-10-2016 10:58 AM
Traveling the north Cascade loop,Spokane to Anacortes,October,rv and toad. gibbybill Northwest Region 14 12-17-2015 10:54 PM
Hwy 101 Eureka to I-5 Redbluff via Hwy 36? Wanabee FTer Navigation, Routes & Roads 6 08-26-2013 09:42 PM
Cascade Loop begete Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 6 05-08-2013 06:07 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.