Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2016, 08:44 PM   #1

Question Cascade Loop in Wash and Hwy 101 in OR

Hi! I am in the stages of planning/booking our trip to the NW for a month long adventure. First trip for our new to us/used RV. We are heading out on Hwy 2, stopping for several days in Glacier then on to the Seattle area. Already have red bus tour booked!
I just booked 4 night's stay on Fidalgo Island, just N of Whidbey Island. Trying to decide if we drive through the Cascades on our way to campground or do that trip in our toad, leaving the RV to "rest". Has anyone taken that route while towing?
From there we plan to head south working our way down the Oregon coast on Hwy 101 towards the Redwoods. How is the road for towing a vehicle and finding campsites? I know it will be a slower trip down, but the pictures I see look so beautiful. I also know there are a lot of "dead zones" as far as cell service....would or has the conditions of that road caused you to not take the route? My husband is just wondering if we find somewhere to store the RV and drive that part of the trip in the toad?
Thanks for any input you knowledgeable people can provide.
Sincerely,
Dottedlines
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2016, 08:53 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Daughter and her brood live in Sequim. I've driven 101 numerous times both in WA and OR. Yes, it's slow at times but I don't remember there being any real "show stoppers" as far as doing it with an RV. It is a very scenic trip.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:02 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Didn't say when you plan on driving US 101 on the Oregon coast?

Hwy 101 along the Oregon coast is fine. Hwy 101 in WA and CA is fine for motorhome or trailer towing. CA Hwy 1 is not fit for motorhomes over 32 feet. We did fine in our 29 ft. Trek.

During the summer tourist season it will be slower because of the traffic - as least north of Newport. Plenty of camping spots. Oregon State Parks are wonderful and reasonable. If you go before Memorial Day you may get into many campgrounds during the week. Weekends start to book up. After Memorial Day, best to have reservations. Go online.
zekegb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:33 AM   #4

Thanks for the input, it will prove useful in convincing my "driver" to bring our "home on wheels" with us. We will be there in mid-July so we do expect traffic just about everywhere we go. Don't plan on being in a hurry, so that will work. We won't go any further south than the Redwoods, heading to Crater Lake and Yellowstone after that...can't wait!
Old 03-19-2016, 08:56 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
You will have no issues with the roads until leaving the redwoods towards crater lake.
I would suggest having reservations that time of year.

Look into a loop over be the redwoods called the "lost coast".
It's an amazing loop that will bring you out to Ferncrest(?) for dinner.

The route we took to Grants Pass was VERY tight in spots, but we went early on a Sunday morning.
Research that route to get better advice to cross.
Have fun!
Old 03-19-2016, 11:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post

The route we took to Grants Pass was VERY tight in spots, but we went early on a Sunday morning.
How long is the OPs motorhome. US 199 is restricted to motorhomes less than 40'. There are threads aplenty about the Redwood Highway or US 199. IMHO it is a lot easier to drive westbound than eastbound. There are a couple of pinch points where there is little/no room to maneuver. It is draw dropping gorgeous. The passenger will enjoy the scenery much more than the driver especially on your first trip through.

In July and especially if it is around the 4th be prepared for many others enjoying the scenery as well. It would be wise to plan your itinerary and book now for State park sites.
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:47 PM   #7

|ou have already done half of the Cascade Loop when you come across highway 2. If you want to do the North Cascades NP, you could follow SR20 from Newport, WA instead of following US 2. Either route is very scenic. I maybe missed what kind of RV you have but either route is doable with most anything that will handle reasonable ups and downa.

If you are set on following US 2, you could do a day trip and see parts of the North Cascades, like Diablo Dam. You could drive the whole loop in a long day but I don't think you would enjoy it.

We have driven 101 with a smaller camper than our current one but wouldn't he state to do it with the A. Just come down Whidbey Island and catch the Port Townsend ferry (reservations recommended but not absolutely required). Make time to visit Coupeville, Fort Casey (spend a night there), the Ebey Reserve.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 01:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
You will have no issues with the roads until leaving the redwoods towards crater lake.
I would suggest having reservations that time of year.

Look into a loop over be the redwoods called the "lost coast".
It's an amazing loop that will bring you out to Ferncrest(?) for dinner.

Have fun!
Tman59-Thanks! Looks like triptik is routing us on US199, I-5, Hwy 99, OR 234, OR 62; of course they don't take into account we have MH and a toad...wondering if we might be better advised to find a place near interstate to stay (ie Medford) and tour with the toad? We are heading to Tetons from there I think. The lost coast route sounds great, I will research that. We are hoping to stay in that area a couple of nights, any recommendations on campgrounds near Redwoods?
Old 03-21-2016, 01:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid_dk View Post
How long is the OPs motorhome. US 199 is restricted to motorhomes less than 40'. There are threads aplenty about the Redwood Highway or US 199. IMHO it is a lot easier to drive westbound than eastbound. There are a couple of pinch points where there is little/no room to maneuver. It is draw dropping gorgeous. The passenger will enjoy the scenery much more than the driver especially on your first trip through.

In July and especially if it is around the 4th be prepared for many others enjoying the scenery as well. It would be wise to plan your itinerary and book now for State park sites.
avid_dk, I do not know what OPs stands for, but our MH is 32ft, plus we will be towing our car (two tires down) I will check for other threads re: US199; most likely leaving there around 26th of July; trying to time it all out now (this is hard!) We are used to not reserving and staying wherever we decide to stop, never was a problem in our tents and seldom a problem in our small TT. New adventures for sure! We were at Redwoods 25 yrs ago, but know that it will still be amazing to see. How lucky we are to see it more than once!!
Old 03-21-2016, 01:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupevilleDF View Post
|ou have already done half of the Cascade Loop when you come across highway 2. If you want to do the North Cascades NP, you could follow SR20 from Newport, WA instead of following US 2. Either route is very scenic. I maybe missed what kind of RV you have but either route is doable with most anything that will handle reasonable ups and downa.

If you are set on following US 2, you could do a day trip and see parts of the North Cascades, like Diablo Dam. You could drive the whole loop in a long day but I don't think you would enjoy it.

We have driven 101 with a smaller camper than our current one but wouldn't he state to do it with the A. Just come down Whidbey Island and catch the Port Townsend ferry (reservations recommended but not absolutely required). Make time to visit Coupeville, Fort Casey (spend a night there), the Ebey Reserve.
CoupevilleDF- Thank you, just looked into going from Fidalgo Isl down thru Whidbey Isl to Coupeville to cross over to Port Townsend, too early to reserve, but that looks like a great way to get over to Olympic Nat'l Park and avoid driving through downtown Seattle towing. Thanks!
Re US 2; was trying to decide if we should pick up interstate in Spokane instead of staying on 2 and then after getting settled at Fidalgo Island, just take car up into Cascades, still mulling it over, but thanks for suggestions/options! We have a 2015 FR Sunseeker Ford Chassis 450 Class C 32 ft ( I think I have that written right)
Old 03-21-2016, 05:24 PM   #11

dottedlines,

OP means original poster. Regarding staying in Medford and toading from there. It is about a 2:45 drive from Medford to Brookings, OR just north of the Redwoods. A couple hour drive to Crater Lake National Park. Also worth seeing. If you are driving west on 199 you should be able to handle it. Observe the informational speed limit signs, they really mean it. There are some hairpin turns.

Summertime camping in popular destinations especially on weekends requires some advance planning. There maybe place you could find but the not the top locations.
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote