Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2016, 05:29 PM   #1

Cassiar Highway, Canada?

I'm considering taking the Cassiar going north to Alaska in the next few days, but a person in the Montana park that we are at right now said it was in bad shape. I've been reading just the opposite from others. Has anyone been on it recently or this spring to give me an actual report.

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2016, 06:45 PM   #2

Highway 37 Stewart-Cassiar Scenic Route - Province of British Columbia

https://www.themilepost.com/highway-...assiar-highway

Stewart Cassiar Highway | Northern BC

Old 05-25-2016, 08:53 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
I'm considering taking the Cassiar going north to Alaska in the next few days, but a person in the Montana park that we are at right now said it was in bad shape. I've been reading just the opposite from others. Has anyone been on it recently or this spring to give me an actual report.

Thanks!
We did the Cassiar in Sept 2015 from end to end. It was in good condition with only a short stretch near Deese Lake that was gravel. Not more than 5 miles. The northern 20 or 30 miles is narrow and twists a bit, but is beautiful.
A great campground is at Kinaskan Lake Prov Park. Meziadin Lake Prov Park is also very good. Meziadin has water and electric, Kinaskan has no hookups, but the sites are very nice.
I have friends who just reached Whitehorse, but they didn't take the Cassiar. They've run into cold and snow along the way between Ft. Nelson and Whitehorse.
Have a great trip.
a.j.
ajpaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:30 PM   #4

The advantage of taking the Cassiar south at the end of your trip is the timing - you are much more apt to see the bears in Hyder later in the season.

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 05:16 PM   #5

Here are the current conditions on Hwy 37 Cassiar. You will find the same throughout the lower 48. We just drove through a few yesterday in Arizona.

There will always be maintenance and repair on any roads and the Alcan will be no different if you choose to take it north instead of the Cassiar. However, as stated above, the Cassier is best on your return trip if you want to see the bears at Hyder. Safe travels!

Highway 37 & 37A Road Conditions
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 07:37 AM   #6

We drove the Cassiar south in September 2015......it was a beautiful road and in great shape. It is a little narrow at the north end but freshly paved. You will always run into sections of the road being "repaired" during the summer months but just slow down and enjoy the scenery.
JohnR1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 09:07 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggenrock View Post
The advantage of taking the Cassiar south at the end of your trip is the timing - you are much more apt to see the bears in Hyder later in the season.
If at all possible don't miss the bears at Hyder. It was one of the many highlights of our trips.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:31 AM   #8

Thanks for all your replies. I've decided to take the Alcan up this morning and the Cassiar back in order to see the bears.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:46 PM   #9

So true abou the roads to and from Alaska!!! Just go slow and enjoy the journey! Lower 48 roads are a lot worse!
Old 06-02-2016, 01:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenmar View Post
So true abou the roads to and from Alaska!!! Just go slow and enjoy the journey! Lower 48 roads are a lot worse!
I've been on some very bad roads in the lower 48, but nothing comes close to what I just went through on the Alaska Highway the last couple of days, but particularly the last several miles beyond Destruction Bay. I forgot the distant, but it must have been 30 miles of dust, then mud, then dust again, etc. The washboard was as bad as I've ever driven through. There was no slow speed that the entire coach didn't shake very badly on much of it. When we crossed the border yesterday the dust inside our coach was in every drawer, and every surface. Several clothing items had to be washed. We spent several hours last night and this morning cleaning everything inside and out.

I had purchased padded material to protect my tow's windshield, head lights, grill, and radiator, but when we reached the first bad section or road, we didn't think it was going to be so bad, so I didn't install any of it. Then we were all of a sudden on the long bad section before I knew it and we didn't install anything. A person we spent the night beside the night before insisted that I remove my rear mud flap, but I didn't get that done either. End result, no damage to the coach (except for a couple new squeeks), or the pickup that I tow, except for dirt.

Having said all of that, our first full day in Alaska has been very exciting and the views specticular. We are in Valdez right now looking out on the bay, and watching the eagles. Hopefully much of the road construction will be completed before we return in 3 months. If not, the ferry is looking very good right now.

Tags
canada, ada