Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2015, 06:45 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Central IN to Gulf Coast...flexible destination and trip

Hello!

My husband and I just started full timing. Our first big trip will be to head south in a few days...we are new at this and would like some input. What would be the most scenic and low stress route south for new RVers going from Indiana to the Gulf Coast! We can take our time with no deadlines to meet except for bad weather. I want to go to the Gulf Coast/south for the holidays and have researched a few places but wonder if there are some hidden gems to park at. It's not imperative to be near the beach. Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Slydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2015, 07:03 PM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
Well Stacy !
First is your Route -- I run down that way several times a year. Stay away from 65 -as its a mess and the roads are bad -- I take 74 to Cincinnati then south on 75 - nice clean roads all the way and great mountain views and clean rest areas. Plan your timing through Atlanta as that can be nerve racking at rush hours. From there you'll have smooth sailing all the way down to the East Cost of Sunny Fla.

Happy Trails

NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:52 PM   #3

If you are taking your time you might want to stop for a few days at the Hilton Head Island Motorcoach Resort. Beautiful surroundings, quiet, and if the weather is acceptable, bike paths. Bike baths everywhere, you can see the entire south end of the island by bike and never ride on a road with traffic.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:05 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Sounds like a great first trip. You say you are going to the Gulf Coast. From Brownsville Texas to Key West Florida is 1700 miles or so. What area of the Gulf Coast are you looking at?

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 04:28 AM   #5

www.floridastateparks.org/park/St-Andrews

oridastateparks.reserveamerica.com/camping/Topsail_Hill_Preserve_State_Park_Gregory_E_Moore_R v_Resort/r/campsiteCalendar.do?page=calendar&search=site&cont ractCode=FL&parkId=281250

You cannot go wrong with these places.

If you want to see some pretty countryside, take US 231down through Alabama.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:36 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
We're flexible...so I'm wondering if there are any suggestions for that rather long stretch.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:27 AM   #7

I would look into the Natchez Trace.

Natchez Trace Parkway (U.S. National Park Service)
halfwright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydog View Post
We're flexible...so I'm wondering if there are any suggestions for that rather long stretch.
If you come down through Alabama, that really is the best way to go to Northwest Florida Coast. It is a great drive from Montgomery down to Ozark where it gets a little crowded, not real bad. I think it is four lane all the way to Panama City, Florida.

If you want to see some really old Florida, take 98 east out of Panama City and go all the way to Perry Florida. It is mostly undeveloped coastline with fishing villages. Appalachicola is a nice little town.

Once you get to Perry, you can continue down 98 or you can go over to I75. 98 past Panama city is two lane but not crowded.

Cedar Key on Floridas north central coast is a nice little town.

Here is why I would like that trip. You are coming down thru the midwest which you are probably very familiar with. coming on through Tthe deep south is pretty nice but you are coming to Florida. I would speed on down to florida and really see some of its nice places that many tourists don't see.

If you want some fine oysters, go to Ouzts. Google
Old 01-22-2016, 03:39 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Well Stacy !
First is your Route -- I run down that way several times a year. Stay away from 65 -as its a mess and the roads are bad -- I take 74 to Cincinnati then south on 75 - nice clean roads all the way and great mountain views and clean rest areas. Plan your timing through Atlanta as that can be nerve racking at rush hours. From there you'll have smooth sailing all the way down to the East Cost of Sunny Fla.

Happy Trails
Chuck,
We are planning a trip down Florida way in March as well. I have traveled this way several times but never in our new (to us) 98 33' Sea Breeze. Being that this is spring break, I75 I know can be a mess. And, the mountain grades through Chatanooga are worrying me. I planned on taking 69 south to 24 then down 65 to have less grades to go up amd down. I plan on coming down through Alabama and swing over to I75 via Columbus. We HAVE to stop in Vienna GA at the nut farm for my DW. . Then hit I75 sount the rest of the way. Am I thinking correct that this would be less hilly? We are newbies as well and I don't want to witness a firey crash on spring break. Especially mine!!!
Old 01-22-2016, 05:41 PM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
Your Sea Breeze will do jus fine!
That's a good Rt - safe and relatively flat.
My alternate snow storm Rt is 65 to Birmingham to Dothan down to 10 to 75- cost an hour more if your timing .
Leaving here Feb 24 - down 75 from Cinci to Knoxville to Chattanooga on down from there.
But I have a 28 ft Race Trailer behind me .

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:48 PM   #11

Which area of the Gulf Coast? Creditable advice cannot be offered without knowing where you want to go. Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, all are Gulf Coast.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 03:18 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
We were flexible but on a whim came down to Elberta, AL to Lake Osprey RV Park. Loved it here, spent a month, took road trips to the west and east and had a lot to see and do down here. Thanks for all the input everybody! Now on to MS, LA and then to TX. I'm getting out my cowboy boots (This is Stacy posting, not Lee, he doesn't have any boots...yet)