Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2017, 12:13 PM   #1

Chaco Canyon

Would very much like to visit Chaco Canyon this year, but the logistics seem daunting and we're wondering what is the best way to do so.

It is remote, and access from north or south sounds difficult [we travel in a motorhome w/ toad]. I don't think the park accommodates motorhomes. SO...if you were to visit Chaco Canyon for a couple of days, what route would you take to get there, and where would you park your motorhome?

Best to just make it a day trip?

Thanks,
Ron
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2017, 01:48 PM   #2

There is a station near the east entry road that allows parking for a fee as I remember. Have a B so drove into the campground but as I was researching Chaco found a site mentioning parking outside. Look around on the net and I bet you can find that or another spot.

Very interesting place and not overrun with people as the road puts them off.
Twin Bridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 02:42 PM   #3

There were MHs there when we went a few years ago. Unless they have improved the access roads it is a very, very, rough, slow ride in for about 25 miles. We came in from the north and left in another route. There was no water (except could fill container for drinking), or any other services except a little store Take ant spray. Awesome place especially at night since you are very close to the ancient ruins. Good tours well worth the effort to get there.
Melvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:34 PM   #4

We made this a day trip ... stayed at an RV park in the Bloomfield area and drove to Chaco Canyon in our tow vehicle.

There is a campground there ... all we saw were small trailers and pickup campers. The ranger led guided tour was excellent.

The last (it seems like forever) miles of the gravel road was washboard the day we visited.

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:53 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I think they have a 40 limit for RVs, but I wouldn't drive my coach there.

When we visited, we owned a 20' travel trailer. The road in from the south was by far the worst washboard road I've ever driven and it beat the heck out of both our TV and TT. We went out via the north road and it was little better. I'd make it a day trip although I think it'd be awesome to stay there over night. I wish the road were better.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:13 AM   #6

When we visited there in 2006, I don't recall any problems with the road. We stayed in Farmington and made it a day trip, so we came in from the north. We were driving my 2003 Honda Accord Coupe, so maybe I just didn't notice.

After living in the west for 40 years, washboard roads don't seem that remarkable - I just adjust my speed to compensate as best I can. I drove places Montana, Wyoming, Utah and Colorado in a couple of 1970's era Toyota Corollas where my primary concern was not disemboweling the car - a rough washboard was the least of my worries.
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:50 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We parked the coach and spent a couple of nights tenting. I wouldn't subject my house to that road coming in from the north. Bad enough with the car.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:12 AM   #8

Send a message via ICQ to Waterview202
Been there several times like said road is very rough, park at a close campground and drive toad in.this is a park worth the effort.