Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2015, 03:11 AM   #1

Charleston, SC

In light of the tragic shooting in Charleston last night, would it be advisable to avoid it for the next few days?.
lkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2015, 06:15 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
No, that would be a over reaction to what has happen! It was a targeted attack not a random act?..
WReeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:19 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Charleston is a Historic town, and thus a Tourist Trap.. I do not see them doing anything the can to offend tourists.. I would avoid the scene of the crime if I had plans to visit it (Which I do not) but otherwise I would not make many changes.

IF you are catholic.. Visit Daniel's Island.. There is a school gym there which on Sundays becomes a Church.. pastor Fr. Gregory West.. is the pastor.. Say Hi from me.. Mention RV and he will likely remember me from St. Paul the Apostle.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:09 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Charleston is a Historic town, and thus a Tourist Trap.. I do not see them doing anything the can to offend tourists.. I would avoid the scene of the crime if I had plans to visit it (Which I do not) but otherwise I would not make many changes.

IF you are catholic.. Visit Daniel's Island.. There is a school gym there which on Sundays becomes a Church.. pastor Fr. Gregory West.. is the pastor.. Say Hi from me.. Mention RV and he will likely remember me from St. Paul the Apostle.

We are only a trap for people like you! We are considered one of the best destination to travel to.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:57 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I should have made it more clear.. As a "Tourist Trap" The police will work overtime to insure the safety of tourists.. This is a good thing. And yes, I agree Charleston is a very nice town and on my wish list to re-visit.

Now in same news: Suspect in custody.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:08 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We really like Charleston and Savannah as well. Probably shouldn't cruise the bad parts of town for a while. We will be there in late Winter of 2016.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:23 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
What happen was a crazy person that had a lot of hate in him. He was not from Charleston, outsider making charleston look bad!
Old 06-18-2015, 04:30 PM   #8

There is no need to avoid our beautiful city. We are shocked by what has happened and covet your prayers.
02camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:46 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No, you drive your own destiny. By passing the great city of Charleston would be a shame. I never let headlines make my plans. There is so much history in Charleston, you would be missing a great opportunity.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:56 PM   #10

I loved the beaches at Charleston but i have to admit it's not the best place to find work. I lived there during the 9/11 incident and it was hell trying to find work. I lived over in Summerville, at Wood Oak MHP on Miles Jamison Rd. Used to shop over in Goose Creek, also Worked at ASI inc. On Central Ave.
GregNMiaFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:59 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WReeder View Post
We are only a trap for people like you! We are considered one of the best destination to travel to.
THought I replied.. As a historic town..one that I very much wish to re-visit.. You have a lot of things a tourist,Such as myself, may well find attractive.. And since generally speaking folks know where tourists flock there will be many a vendor around those attractions selling stuff that tourists tend to buy.

I do like to find the other parts of the city myself, but I like to find the Attractions as well.

Another advantage of a "Tourist Town" is that the Police are swift to respond when something bad happens.. And in this case the Suspect (I know he is the shooter but I'm trained to say "Suspect" till the term CONVICT applies) is currently enjoying the hospitality of the local JAIL, and the entire department of justice, Local, State and FEDERAL are all gearing up to show him our appreaction for his actions.. May he spend the rest of his life in a small metal cage with no hope of release (A fate quite frankly.. Worse than death).

Since he is in irons.. I suspect the counter response will be to testify against him and a conviction will be obtained in an orderly fasion.. Some folks may be upset over the lack of a death penalty.. but seemy last paragraph's ending.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:47 PM   #12

Well I appreciate everyones sentiments, but I didnt want to start a fight. We decided to go to savannah instead, and will check out charleston on the way back north. Our concern was that there would be a big influx of CNN types, vigils, the circus around the shooters return, etc. The focus there should be on healing, not tourism at least for awhile.
lkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:10 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I was there this spring and would go back tomorrow!
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:18 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
I have lived in the Charleston area all of my life, and would not change it if I could! The people in general are friendly and kind. They will say good morning, thank you, and yes mam! And we are the home to Sweet Tea, and Firefly. We also have a place called the Tap Room that sell the most Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer in the World...