Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2012, 08:00 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cherokee NC to Gatlinburg TN

What is the best route from Cherokee NC to Gatelinburg TN? We are traveling in a 38 ft class A (gas) with a tode. This will be our first trip to the mountains. Don't want to scare my DW on her first trip. Thanks.

offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I have seen many long motor homes with tow on the mountains. I don't really want to drive over those mountains with my gas burner. I think I could do it. But, I figure it might cause slow traffic.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:58 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
The way we go is to get on 441 towards Waynesville which I believe turns into 23/74 to I40. Take I40 all the way to Exit 407. Then follow the signs to Pigeon Forge and Gaitlinburg. It's all highway and the trip over the mountains is not that bad. We've traveled that way many times in our 31' Class C and in our 37' Class A, both times towing. Hope this helps and hope you have a great trip. Safe travels.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:42 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have driven a gasser over the mountains but would not recommend it especially if the DW may not like curves and hills.

I probably would not do it again.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:42 PM   #5
doc

Appalachian Campers
Louisiana is pretty flat country and that trip over the top might be a little edgy for the Ms. It is sooooo much shorter to go over the top than over to Waynesville and west on I-40. The trip up the gorge on 40, with all the trucks, is nearly as scary as the trip over the top - and probably more dangerous when you consider the speeds involved as well as the size of the rigs on the road.
Over the top, you come out in Gatlinburg. Thru Waynesville you will have a long drive to Waynesville, the up the gorge and off at either a very crooked, narrow road with no shoulders or on up to Kodak and then down through Sevierville and Pigeon Forge just to get to Gatlinburg.
You know, if you take it easy and go slow and pull out often, over the top might be the better route for you. Let the traffic behind you pass by pulling over in the pull outs and maybe stop on top before heading on down. The air is always cool with a breeze up there.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the info, I might have to put my DW to bed and give her a sedative. I'll take a look at this route on google earth.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi offshore,
Consider having the wife drive the car and you the coach. From Cherokee to Gatlinburg is not that far when going over the mountain on route 441. I've done I44 and 441 several times. Either route has its benefits. However, since you are already in Cherokee, over the mountain with the wife driving or the coach towing is the only logical choice. Route 441 goes through the GSMNP. The speed limit is 35 MPH, you will not be the first vehicle in the line of vehicles going over the mountain. There is considerable traffic, during the summer.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
441 over the top....
Really the only choice.
It won't be too bad...
Old 07-11-2012, 03:24 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Now thats a great idea, let my DW drive the car and follow me in the MH. Now I have to take into account that this New Orleans girl is afraid of heights, when we drive on overpasses in the car she doesn't look out the window. I agree that 441 will be the best route, we'll just have to waite and see.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Been over that route a few times in our former 36' Southwind gasser towing the RAV 4. No big deal. Expect to slow down on the uphills and plan to use your gears to keep the same speed, or slower, on the descents. DO NOT RIDE YOUR BRAKES. Depend on your engine braking and lower gears. Pump the brakes firmly for enough time to reduce speed to below your target speed and lower the gear one more to hold the speed. That way you will still have brakes when you need to stop.

DW and I have driven many grades that are far worse than anything you will encounter on that route with patience and pullout to permit our disciples to pass. (we call them disciples because they are calling on G-d to permit them to follow us).