Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2009, 07:44 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Chesapeake Bay Bridge

I'm assuming Motorhomes and trailers that have onboard propane tanks aren't allowed to cross this bridge due to the tunnel. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Also, if not, what's the best or only way, traffic wise, to get around Washington DC in a motorhome pulling a toad? We'll be heading north on I-95 and want to get over to Easton, Maryland? Are there any ferry's that can handle large vehicles?

Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2009, 07:49 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
You can cross --- when you stop to pay the toll, they'll ask you if your propane is turned off.

It's a fun trip!

Old 07-28-2009, 07:55 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
RV's are permitted to use the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel at Norfolk as long as you turn the propane off.

The Chesapeake Bay Bridge at Annapolis has no restrictions.

There are no ferries.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:22 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi Bob,

I'd just like to add that the CBBT is an easy way to get to the eastern shore without having to go anywhere near D.C. But.... besides the propane requirement watch the weather. The CBBT has very stringent wind / weather restrictions on any kind of RV,camper, towed vehicles and even cars with cargo carriers. Here's a website that might help make your travel plans. http://www.cbbt.com/. Good Roads to YA.
Ol'Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob (WA0MQE) View Post
I'm assuming Motorhomes and trailers that have onboard propane tanks aren't allowed to cross this bridge due to the tunnel. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Also, if not, what's the best or only way, traffic wise, to get around Washington DC in a motorhome pulling a toad? We'll be heading north on I-95 and want to get over to Easton, Maryland? Are there any ferry's that can handle large vehicles?
Bob,

Not sure what you really are doing but, the Bay Bridge or the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel are two very different things! The Bay Bridge is on Rt. 50 and connects the west and east shore of the Chesapeake Bay. The Bridge and Tunnel connects the southernmost portion of Maryland (on the eastern shore) with Norfolk VA. You can travel on either with propane tanks but on the Bridge and tunnel (via Norfolk VA) they have a checkpoint to be sure your propane is turned off. On the bay Bridge (west shore to east shore via Rt 50) you just pay a toll.

If you will be coming up I95, you will use either 495 or 301 to pass Washington DC and get onto Rt 50 to the Bay Bridge to Easton. It is best if you time your travel so that you are not trying to pass 495 during rush hour (about 6:00 to 10:00 AM or 3:30 to 7:00 PM on weekdays) as this is very difficult during these times. If you cannot do this, an alternative is 301. The trade off here is traffic lights but they may be preferable to 495 which is pretty much a nightmare!

If you are looking to travel through Norfolk VA via the Bridge/Tunnel to MD Rt. 13 to Salisbury you would then travel west on Rt 50 to Easton. The only bad part of this route would be the area around Norfolk. As I said, try to time your passage so that you are not there during rush hour. That said, rush hour in Norfolk is a joke compared to DC and Rt 13 is a very nice rural drive to Salisbury. The bridge/Tunnel is a very interesting drive on a good day and a bad day is when the wind is up and the weather is bad. Just slow down and you will be fine.

Hope this helps and if you have specific questions, feel free to ask. I have travelled both routs and my comments are based on personal experience. As they say, 'Your mileage may vary'!

BugSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote