Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2011, 06:38 PM   #1

Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel

We are in Delaware and want to head down to Virginia's Historic Triangle. We are trying to figure out whether we can cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel in our 32-foot SeaBreeze, towing a car. Also, any recommendations for a place to stay around Williamsburg? We enjoy amenities, but prefer not forking out too much of our gas money!!!
Thanks for any tips!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2011, 06:43 PM   #2

In June we took the bridge/tunnel and we were towing the CRV. No problem but the toll taker had me puller over and turn off the refrigerator and hot water heater. I don't remember the toll amount but it was substantial. I was a pretty drive but I think a little confusing at the south end.

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:13 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
No problem ...you do have to turn off the LP at the tank in the bridge tunnels in VA.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:06 PM   #4

That's pretty much nation-wide. Over here we also have to turn the LP off at the cylinder when we go on the State Ferries. You'd think that, at the prices they charge, it wouldn't be necessary.

Round trip from Anacortes to Friday Harbor (about an hour each way0 is upwards of $120 for a 30' rig! We don't take the RV to the San Juan Islands, but we're close enough (about 3/4 mile from the ferry terminal) it's not a big deal. Going over for a day with the car isn't too bad. Also, we can walk to the terminal (15 minutes), do a quick round trip as walk-on passengers from Anacortes to Orcas Island, get an awesome ice cream cone within walking distance of the terminal there and come back on the same boat.

We can also go as walk-ons to Friday Harbor and spend four hours wandering town and come home again and we can get the local bus from the terminal back to within 100 yards of home.

Pretty spectacular.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:06 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Wow! talk about cool memories you guys resurected. I grew up in Virginia Beach and lived in a little duplex directly across from the toll plaza in Virginia Beach when they had the grand opening back in..................I don't remember........and didn't feel like googling it. I used to love going fishing on the pier at the first island. 4 miles off the coast and the fishing was great if you got there at the right time. Big chunk got knocked out of the bridge during a storm when a ship came loose from anchor. The spot where the break ocurred created a natural fish habitat. The bridge tunnel is rich with history.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:11 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
That's pretty much nation-wide. Over here we also have to turn the LP off at the cylinder when we go on the State Ferries. You'd think that, at the prices they charge, it wouldn't be necessary.
I have yet to find anyplace but the ferries where we have to turn off the propane here on the west coast. None of the tunnels we've been through require it. Never seen it in 55 years of RV'ing here and down to TX and AZ too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:20 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
We went thru the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnels, this past August, but the opposite way you are going. We left from Virginia Bch., went thru the tunnels, pulling our Saturn. We made a stop at "Chincoteaque, VA Isl." to see the horses and then on the the DC area, with no problems. We did have to stop and turn off the LP, after we went thru the toll booth, based on the signs posted. Nobody actually told us to do that.

Have a safe trip!
Old 12-06-2011, 12:50 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Nancy & Bill,
As to a moderately priced place to stay, forget it. Consider biting the bullet and chose a CG based on convenience.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:06 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
On the same trip as above,(post #7) we stayed at the KOA Williamsburg, just outside of the downtown area. I don't remember what the daily rate was, but I didn't feel that it was too high. Be sure to ask for a "Super Site". It's $10 more a night, but well worth it, with concrete pads, cable TV, 50 amp and water/sewer. Some of their sites can be quite muddy, if it has rained recently.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:11 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
To answer the first part of the OP's question here is a quote from the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel's website Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel -- GAS REGULATIONS regarding compressed gas in non-commercial vehicles. Even though it doesn't specify north or south bound I think it's a pretty safe assumption that this regulation applies in both directions. I hope this helps with your decision.

Quote:
COMPRESSED GAS REGULATIONS
For Non-Commercial Vehicles

Maximum capacity: (a) Not more than two non-permanently mounted containers having maximum individual capacity of 105 pounds water capacity or 45 pounds LP-Gas each, or one container having maximum capacity of 60 pounds LP-Gas, or (b) not more than two permanently mounted containers having maximum total capacity of 200 gallons water capacity LP-Gas when used as a motor fuel. Tanks must meet the approved standards of the Department of Transportation and are subject to inspection at toll plaza. They must be properly secured and valves closed while crossing the facility.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:53 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My x and I had to wait on the northend of the bridge parking area four hours one time until the winds died down..It sure was nice to have a place to lay down for the four hours..The trip through the tunnel itself it a real treat when meeting a 18 wheeler...Happy Holliday..
Old 12-07-2011, 11:13 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One way trip is $17.00 for two axles, dual wheels. A bargain considering the gas it takes to go around, plus you avoid Baltimore and Washington DC.
That wind thing can be a problem, we had to wait a full day on one trip down.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #13

No problem using the bridge-tunnel with your rig. As far as CGs, I recommend American Heritage over either of the KOAs and Anvil, even though it is the furthest north on I64 from the direction you'll be traveling. Newport News City Park is a bargain but no full hookups last I knew. If you have military affiliation, go to militarycampgrounds.us for the local CGs that are indeed a bargain.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:29 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ditto for American Heritage. Anvil has sites that are within 10-25 feet of a very busy train track. Nice park, but very noisy all night.