Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2007, 04:48 PM   #15

Route 66 has a good alternate route -- or if you want just make it a loop.

BOL,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2007, 04:48 AM   #16
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Busskipper, welcome to iRV2.

If you downsize your picture, you can post it with the URL ending with jpg.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:43 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi, another nice campground is delaware seashore state park. It is on rt 9 just south of rehobeth beach and you can walk to the beach or be on the bay side. Fishing is good there too. Naturally as previously ststed assateague is great.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 05:05 PM   #18

Not sure of the spelling, but Kiptopeak is in Virignia, just north of the Bay Bridge Tunnel.

Nice campground.

If you want to make a little side trip off of 13, about 5-6 miles, take a look at Tom's Cove in Chincoteauge, VA. if they are still open for the season. We enjoy stopping there and watching the ponies in the meadows. Wide open no prblem with reception.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:45 PM   #19

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
When I go to WIlliamsburg from Dillsburg, just south of Harrisburg, I take 15 South into Virginia, then 66 East to 663 to get over to 95 on the other side of DC, or take 15 to 17 over to 95. I have found this to be an enjoyable drive.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:54 PM   #20

Mid Atlantic Campers
There is a large parking area right to the east of the Bay Bridge toll booths that allow FREE overnight parking. Or, try the Cherrystone CG, just up the road apiece.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 04:24 AM   #21
paz

Thanks to all for the suggestions of routes and campgrounds.

We decided to take the route down through Delaware and the Delmarva Peninsula. The only negative was somewhat heavy traffic on the local roads in southeastern PA and northern DE, but it was nothing like I-95.

We got to drive right past the Dover International Speedway where race fans were already gathering last Wednesday for this weekends races.

We stayed at the Assateague National Seashore since this was about halfway from Lancaster to Williamsburg. There is also a state park adjacent to the national seashore, but The state park was much more crowded, even on an off-season weekday. Our America the Beautiful Senior Card got us a nice, quiet site at the national seashore for $10.

The drive across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge was quite interesting. We could watch fishing boats here and there and freighters passing through the shipping channels as we approached the tunnels.

This was definitely not the fastest way to get from Lancaster to Williamsburg, but for us it was more pleasant and interesting than I-95.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 05:00 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Glad to hear you had a safe and enjoyable trip. We have done it numerous times, in fact we will be up that way next weekend.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 05:53 PM   #23

Mid Atlantic Campers
Hey Paz, isn't getting there half the fun, besides what's the rush

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 04:24 AM   #24
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jestme13:
Hey Paz, isn't getting there half the fun, besides what's the rush </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Right you are!
Old 10-01-2007, 04:10 PM   #25

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We must have crossed paths last week. We went from NC up across the CBBT up to Tall Pines Harbour.. about as far north in VA on the Bay as you can get. Nice campground. They have expanded quite a bit... you can park in the old section in the trees, or out in a newer section that is very big rig and satellite friendly. Next stop was Kiptopeke State Park. A great park just a short walk from a nice beach and fishing pier on the Bay. Close enough to the CBBT that we had several pictures with it in the far background. Then over to Williamsburg for a week of a lot of walking and history. Man.. this Monday morning back at work was a real bummer.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:19 AM   #26
paz

ncbounder, we did indeed cross paths because we spent 10 days in Williamsburg and left on Monday, probably a day after you did. I see by your location you are in Monroe, NC. We are staying fairly close to you in Salisbury, NC.

BTW, nice blog. I like the way you include campground photos. We usually try to do the same. Any information is helpful when you're trying to make campground reservations sight unseen.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:10 PM   #27

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks. I checked out your blog too... very nice. Looks like you are keeping yours more up to date than mine as of late. I still haven't completed our FLA trip this past May! But I will at least journal this trip to VA before I forget it. It drives me crazy when I can't remember the restaurants we ate at when we liked them so much.

I checked your current location. You must be up in Booneville or someplace near there, looks like you are right on Hwy 601. We live right on 601 a few miles north of Monroe. If you head by this way stop by for a visit, or at least blow the horn!

I am in the process of posting my Williamsburg pictures on dotphoto.com, so check back later on the blog.

Take care and drive safely!

Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote