Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2012, 09:28 AM   #1

Question Chesapeake Bay Tunnel Bridge

Not sure if this is the right Forum for this question, but…
We are planning a trip down thru Maryland and Virginia and are planning to cross the Chesapeake Bay Tunnel Bridge. Our MH is a 45 ft Coach and we are pulling a Stacker Trailer that is 13 ft 6 inches high. Has anyone had any experience or issues with the height restrictions for the Chesapeake Bay Tunnel Bridge? I know they measure your rig as you go thru the tolls – Our Stacker is 13 ft 6 in plus or minus an inch based on how the automatic level system in the MH has the rig set at the time.
How strict are they at the Chesapeake Bay Tunnel Bridge? Any room for leniency?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2012, 10:16 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
As you probably already know, the height restriction IS 13'6" Being at that height, (+-1") you better call the authorities. According to Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel -- GATED LANES they turn around "15 vehicles per day" so they are serious about it.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #3

Fabman, I have drove empty Tractor and Trailers through the tunnel and they tend to bounce quite a bit especially on a spring suspension. I have never had a problem. A bridge or tunnel has to be able to clear a commercial vehicle height which can be 13,6. If your stacker is over height, you might consider having it made legal for other bridges and tunnels also. Where I live we have a bridge over I-40 that is only 13,7. If a TT is over 13,6 and hit's something and there is damage, the driver is responsible for the damage. Believe me I know the hard way.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #4

First as stated by others, get the hight legal. We traveled that way last year on way to Outer Banks, our DP is 13' to top of dish dome. We scraped the radio antenna all the way thru. In addition that route was built before trucks, bus, and rv's were 102 wide. So when you see an 18 or chater bus comming the other way you better be real good at holding your lane and hope they can too, or its a new l/s mirror when you get out. And don't even think about stopping at the rest area 1/2 across, you will never make the turn with that unit. DW made the whole passage in the back bedroom, too close for her, LOL. Have a safe trip.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #5

Anyone try an Alternate route instead of doing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge? How about route 50 all the way in to Annapolis - Are there any bridges along that rout that may give me issues? I contacted the William Preston Lane Bridge people and I have no issues there.....how about all of route 50?
Old 05-14-2012, 10:00 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Personally, I wouldn't go through the bridge/tunnel in my rig. I am confident in my driving skills, I am NOT confident in the oncoming bus driver's skills. Besides, the scenery in a tunnel sucks.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:07 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
The tunnels are only in the two shipping channel areas. I've seen nuclear subs both times I've used the bridge/tunnel. I wouldn't try it with an RV at max height. Route 50 is an interstate quality HW for the most part. Don't try it on Friday, that's when all the shore birds are heading for Ocean City. Once across the Bay bridge, head north on US 301.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:22 AM   #8

Fabman take dream believers word. We used it southbound last year narrow lanes and bumpy. We are 13' 4" and the radio antenna is scraping most of the way through the tunnel.
CHCam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:24 PM   #9

Oh I am taking his advice....that’s why I am looking for an alternative route. We / I actually did do the Chesapeake tunnel last year but I did not have the stacker at that time. That’s why I’m so paranoid this time. BFlinn - thanks for the info on RT 50.... We are actually going the other way...East to West....on Sunday 5/20.....hopefully not allot of travelers then...

Anyone else know of height / clearance issues going RT 50 westward?
Old 05-15-2012, 07:13 AM   #10

Fabman I looked in my truckers road atlas and 50 is good. You could turn south on 301 and take it to I-95. You might want to invest in this Motor Carriers Road Atlas less than $20 bucks and it gives you every Roth a legal truck can travel. 13' 6"" is the maximum legal road height as you probably know.
Safe Travels
Old 05-15-2012, 07:15 AM   #11

Damn spell check that should be " road" not Roth.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:41 AM   #12

I thought I read somewhere that there are now restrictions governing vehicles with onboard propane tanks from using the tunnels.
I'm not sure about this, but I do remember reading something about it.

Dan
Old 05-15-2012, 07:52 AM   #13

They, Chesapeake, require that you turn off the propane tank at the toll both.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:53 AM   #14

I lived in the VA Bch area a couple of years ago and traveled through the tunnels with our fifth wheel many times. At the checkpoint before tunnel entry, they check to see of your propane tanks are turned off. At least, this was our experience every time we went through the tunnels.