Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2014, 09:41 PM   #1

Chicago I90 toll route

Going west through Chicago. What do I need to know or are there any tips regarding the toll plazas on I90. Do I really have to stop for them all. Looks like a pain in the a**. Looks like some kind of pass card is available but we will only be taking this route once for now. We will be heading through Michigan going to South Dakota.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2014, 10:07 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Yep you need to stop and pay the tolls. It is rather costly since they charge by the axle. The traffic through the City is tough and not for the faint of heart. Probably best to time it either late at night or mid day.

teddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:31 AM   #3

Drop down to i80 then take i39 north to i90. Only 1 toll in IL that way I believe. Also, lots if construction on i90 in Chicago right now.

Or take i80 to Omaha and then i29 north to i90. No IL tolls.

Either route I listed will add less than 20 minutes. When you figure toll stops and Chicago traffic.
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:04 AM   #4

"Drop down to i80 then take i39 north to i90", that is the way I go. There is still a section of toll on 80 between i94 and i57. The right hand lane is for oversize vehicles.
Illinois figured out how to get every single person traveling on the interstate to pay a toll.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:32 PM   #5

Going around the lake, thru Indiana, illinois, up thru Wisconsin, is the biggest mistake you could ever make, unless ABSOLUTELY necessary. Stay North, thru the U. P. to Wisconsin, then pick up I 90... It is not just the tolls. Traffic is so congested, and nerve-racking... Avoid it like we avoid Atlanta....
Old 05-27-2014, 10:24 AM   #6

Thanks for all the input. I may take I80 to I39. It will add a few miles to our trip but may save some stop and go traffic and tolls with the trailer.
The route though the U.P. will be much quiter for sure but does add a lot of miles on our trip. Without the trailer it may not be so bad but with the extra gas and extra time I may have to grin and bear it to go under Lake MI. We need to be in South Dakota first. On the way back we will be coming from Alberta so we can stay north further and cross under Lake Superior and over Lake Michigan.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:13 PM   #7

There is a way to completely avoid the tolls, but you absolutely do not want to do it around either the morning or evening rush hour. Mid-day or later at night will work well.

On the south side of the city, I94 will merge with I90, so you will be driving on I90/I94. On the north side of the city, I90 splits off. Keep right and follow I94 toward Milwaukee.

In the northern suburbs, U.S. hwy. 41 merges with I90. In the town of Northbrook, I90 exits right. Don't take it. Rather, stay on U.S. 41. Just before the Wisconsin line, and after the last toll plaza, hwy. 41 merges with I94 again. Hwy. 41 is not a true expressway, but is a good 4 lane road with somewhat limited access. You will see about 8 stop lights, but they are all timed to favor traffic on 41 as opposed to the cross roads. You won't have to stop for very many.

South of Milwaukee, take the I894 bypass west. It ends at I94 which you take west, where it again merges with I90 near Madison.

This route will take a little longer, but there will be no tolls.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:45 PM   #8

I would get an I Pass which works anywhere EZPass is used. You get the transponder, set up the account, put so e money into the account, and there is no monthly fee. We rarely use ours but it is so much easier to just drive thru instead of having to go thru a toll plaza. You can get an I Pass even though you are a resident of another state. We are SD residents.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpharley View Post
I would get an I Pass which works anywhere EZPass is used. You get the transponder, set up the account, put so e money into the account, and there is no monthly fee. We rarely use ours but it is so much easier to just drive thru instead of having to go thru a toll plaza. You can get an I Pass even though you are a resident of another state. We are SD residents.
The I-Pass is indeed worth getting if you will be using toll roads. At many toll plazas, you don't even need to slow down. An additional benefit is the 50% discount when using I-Pass.

You can get the transponder at many of the toll road oasis (full service rest areas) or at any of the Jewel supermarkets in the state. See locations at Jewel-Osco Store Locator

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:07 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I went through that area a few years ago and it seemed like I'd just get up to speed and would have to stop again to pay another toll.

I think there was one where you just had to pay 50 cents. Would hate to live there and have to drive those roads to work.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I went through that area a few years ago and it seemed like I'd just get up to speed and would have to stop again to pay another toll.

I think there was one where you just had to pay 50 cents. Would hate to live there and have to drive those roads to work.
If you where a regular you would have the transponder pass. That would be real easy. Not so easy for us visitors. Stopping for 50 cents.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:04 PM   #12

50 cents ?? It sure has been a long time !!! m/h pulling toad, around $2.80, [each toll] with I pass. Double if CASH..