Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2015, 09:07 AM   #1

Chicago to Niagara Falls

Planning a 2 nite stop near the falls then on to new england in hopes of some color

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2015, 05:39 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For Fall color you might want to take a look at the color map for Michigan.. Not as many miles out of your way.

Generally Chicago to Niagrar is just the expensive road, Which in Ohio where you can dang near shoot a laser end to end, it's cvalled a "Turnpike" and in PA where you can shoot that same laser perhaps a quarter mile before it hits a mountain they call it a toll road. .

But hang aNorth and I think you will find fall color peaking in parts of MIO right now and other parts latter in Sept and OCT.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:12 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fall Color

Since you mentioned wanting to take in some fall color... And since this appeared on my Facebook feed today...

Train Travel for Fall Foliage - Grand Canyon, Mount Washington - AARP
Old 09-11-2015, 09:25 AM   #4

Most prefer to stay at the KOA on Grand Island. It gives you easy access to the Falls and other attractions. Remember if you are going into Canada where the best views are, you will need either your passport or Nexus Card.

There's a lot to do and see here and the colors in Western NY can be pretty cool also. The Adirondacks are especially spectacular in the Fall. Enjoy your trip and safe travels to you.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:41 PM   #5

We just did this, but instead of going through Detroit, we went up to Port Huron and crossed Canada to the Falls. Couple of advantages, first the Canadian Loonie is cheap, you get one for $.76. Buy gas in the USA first. There are several campgrounds on the Canada side, again, about 25% cheaper (be sure to use plastic for the nexchange rate).

We intended to Canada in one day, but enjoyed it so much we stretched it out to 5 days. The Canuks were great too.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:45 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just watching, planning to go that way late 2016, but , maybe not Niagara this time. But if your going thru Canada, Port Huron was easy, stayed at the Koa, where the shuttle picks you up and takes you to the Niagara sites.
Where are you going to in New England?
How long are you?
Right now I'm planning on going thru the Adirondacks, probably stay at Tupper lake, then Lake Chaplain, White mountains, and Bar harbor.
So I'll be very interested on your trip, so post what you did and were you stayed and what you wish you avoided,
thanks
Old 09-29-2015, 12:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frutza View Post
Just watching, planning to go that way late 2016, but , maybe not Niagara this time. But if your going thru Canada, Port Huron was easy, stayed at the Koa, where the shuttle picks you up and takes you to the Niagara sites.
Where are you going to in New England?
How long are you?
Right now I'm planning on going thru the Adirondacks, probably stay at Tupper lake, then Lake Chaplain, White mountains, and Bar harbor.
So I'll be very interested on your trip, so post what you did and were you stayed and what you wish you avoided,
thanks
Go thru Canada and get yourself some Poutine... Yum Yum, good way to romance cardiac arrest..
Old 10-01-2015, 01:01 PM   #8

We just did this. We are from Illinois and visited my sister near Detroit. We headed up to Port Huron and entered Canada there, planning on camping just one evening on the trip across. We enjoyed it so much we wound up taking a week. We loved the Canadians.

Big tip is the campground at Port Dover. We got a spot overlooking the lake and we LOVED Port Dover.

The Canadian side of Niagara Falls was great. Be sure you have a nice meal in the restaurant (the one in the visitors center) that overlooks the falls.

Also, the exchange rate is great right now.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:16 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
We just made this trip. We took I-80 thru the Chicago area and I don't recommend it at all. We hit some serious craters in that road, one popped the right hand rear view mirror off breaking the snap parts that hold it in place on the mount. I would have lost it altogether if not for the heater wires. I pulled off the freeway as quickly as possible as I could not see back there without the mirror and fixed it temp with bungi cords. We have seen lots of miserable roads in the Midwest. I thought California roads were bad but they are mostly great in comparison with the possible exception of I-80 right in Sacramento. Makes me wonder where that toll money goes!
Old 10-08-2015, 02:46 PM   #10

DW has family in Canada so we go there several times a year. Crossing into Canada at Detroit is never an issue. Getting back into the US is a serious time waster. I know that part of this is because I am a well known critic of the administration, but it has never been good.

Yes, Michigan has colors. Go east at least this once.

Matt
Old 10-12-2015, 07:05 PM   #11

We just got home today, to East Central Wisconsin after visiting Niagra Falls. We too stayed at the Grand Island KOA. We took their tours, both Canadian side and USA side, and enjoyed seeing so much and having a local person tell us so much about the area.

This morning we left a KOA in Granger, near Elkhart, Indiana and took 80 West into Chicago. We reached Chicago about 9AM and got on 294 going North about 10:30. Not a single slowdown in traffic on either highway. Also we did not hit any bad road surfaces on 80 as an earlier posting mentioned his terrible experience.