Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2016, 04:58 PM   #15

If you are looking for a neat way to make the trip take the Garden State Pkwy to the bottom and cross the Delaware bay on the Cape May/Lewes ferry it's about a 1 1/2hr trip. Call ahead to make reservations. There is no problem getting on or off the ferry. I've done it several times with my 43' and toad. Considering the tolls I save, and the gas I don't use, it's almost the same cost as driving. Also there is no traffic this way. Plus you get a nice boat ride.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2016, 05:00 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Agree, Tony, that's a nice way to do it if you're headed to Bethany Beach or Ocean City MD area. Just make sure you check the schedules - if you miss the last boat, it's a long night..

Old 04-20-2016, 06:02 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree with TonyDi the Cape May / Lewes Ferry is the way to go. You can check the fares and schedule at Cape May-Lewes Ferry Home. When you make a reservation you still have to get there an hour ahead of time but generally the RV's and any Tractor Trailers are loaded first in the center bay and you get off right away. The fare might seem to be a little steep but like Tony said it works out to be close to the same. Even more savings if you are going further south coming from the tolls in MD and DE on I-95 it is a nice trip through Delmarva and over the Chesapeake Bridge Tunnel bringing you to I-95 just above the NC border.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
If you are looking for a neat way to make the trip take the Garden State Pkwy to the bottom and cross the Delaware bay on the Cape May/Lewes ferry it's about a 1 1/2hr trip. Call ahead to make reservations. There is no problem getting on or off the ferry. I've done it several times with my 43' and toad. Considering the tolls I save, and the gas I don't use, it's almost the same cost as driving. Also there is no traffic this way. Plus you get a nice boat ride.

That's a very interesting idea. Not sure I can get there from home in one day to make the ferry, but maybe a night on the Jersey shore. Any idea of cost, is it just by length? (Been looking at their web site)
vettenuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:18 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
That's a very interesting idea. Not sure I can get there from home in one day to make the ferry, but maybe a night on the Jersey shore. Any idea of cost, is it just by length? (Been looking at their web site)
It is by length - towing a dingy you should be in the 45' to 60' rate which includes the driver - you have to pay for each passenger and the rate depends on the season. Plenty of campgrounds in Cape May County - for a quick list try this link Cape May County, NJ - Official Website
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:29 AM   #20

3 lanes sb open today on Delaware Memorial Bridge.

2014 Thor Palazzo 35.1
Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
bandorr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 03:21 PM   #21

I learned a long time ago that the best way to vaca with an RV is to book an extra day which when you factor the cost versus stress is reasonable. I leave early like 10 pm at night so the traffic is much lighter than during the day. I get to the site but late on the extra day I booked so I am there the night or real early the day of my actual trip. I keep the truck connected and get some sleep then setup camp and I have the rest of the day to have fun instead of being tired. It does depend on you and whether you care about traffic, etc.