RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2019, 10:21 PM   #15

I'm surprised that no one mentioned Boston. Absolute worst city I've ever driven in. I've driven in all the cities cited so far, and still say Boston is the baddest of the bad.

IBTripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2019, 08:40 AM   #16

Anything in Southern California

Melvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:23 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBTripping View Post
I'm surprised that no one mentioned Boston. Absolute worst city I've ever driven in. I've driven in all the cities cited so far, and still say Boston is the baddest of the bad.
X2 .... and I you do, donít make eye contact with other contestants (drivers), itís considered a sign of weakness.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:29 AM   #18

Must be I'm the only one who doesn't like, St. Louis? I hate driving around or through it. Once I get around St. Louis, I'm always relieved.
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:31 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
X2 .... and I you do, donít make eye contact with other contestants (drivers), itís considered a sign of weakness.

I have to agree with the Boston comment. We go through Chicago fairly often to go to our daughter's home in Cedar Rapids and Chicago is tolerable but the arrogance and selfishness of the driver's in Boston is the worst of anyplace I have been.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:34 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaTOne65 View Post
Must be I'm the only one who doesn't like, St. Louis? I hate driving around or through it. Once I get around St. Louis, I'm always relieved.
X2 for St Louis. If I could just get in a lane and ride it out it would be ok. It seems like you have to get way over to the right at the last second. Not good in large MH.

Retire 2020 GLW
okcnewbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:38 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
I'd like to avoid Chicago, but alas my fate is sealed by my location.

On the plus side, I think I'm conditioned to bad traffic because I don't mind driving through big cities. I think of it as a challenge. I just try to avoid rush hour.
MJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:41 AM   #22

I have to add Denver, especially on Friday and Sunday afternoon to the West of Denver. I think everybody there gets out of town for the weekends.
roygfleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:58 AM   #23

I agree with Denver. We drove through Denver this past summer. After we finally reached the outskirts and headed on north, looked at each other, and vowed "never again". What a nightmare. And we live in metro Phoenix....so we are both quite accustomed to driving in heavy traffic all winter. (YEP....the snowbirds have arrived)
GoneToTheDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:51 AM   #24

LA, Chicago, Vegas, Denver, minneapolis
Old 12-09-2019, 11:01 AM   #25

LA, SF/Oakland have been the worst I've experienced
tpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:43 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJoyce View Post
I'd like to avoid Chicago, but alas my fate is sealed by my location.
On the plus side, I think I'm conditioned to bad traffic because I don't mind driving through big cities. I think of it as a challenge. I just try to avoid rush hour.
As a person that was raised and grew up there, I can totally agree that you become numbified by the traffic and learn to just deal with it! This is what I do! I don't know why this is so hard for people to understand?? If you don't like big cities, stay far, far away, and plan your trip around them but that's not always possible. Just deal with it as it's not a life long dealing as having to live there.
TajMahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:03 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanda View Post
Chicago and anything within a 50 mile radius.
X2!
Old 12-09-2019, 03:07 PM   #28

I think this question could pretty well be answered by saying every city. I think one of the worst I have driven through is Montreal Quebec. They have a bypass around it. Take it if in the area. Dallas was pretty bad as well. The lanes were very narrow, and bridges had light bases sticking out. Driving at night has its own hazards. Visibility is reduced. Many tire shops and possible assistance places are closed if you need help. The possibility of hitting road debris is greatly increased. We have found that driving at night is not worth it. If you must pass through a city, try to time it after, or before rush hours.