Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2017, 05:24 AM   #1

CO/UT/AZ trip ideas?

We're new to MH travel, so looking for some travel/sightseeing advice for a CO/UT/AZ trip in a 35' class A gasser. Departing Jacksonville, FL September 4, seeing friends on Lake of The Ozarks for a few days, then I-70 west, arriving Denver around September 14th. Need to be in Phoenix for a family reunion by September 29th, so we'll have about 2 weeks between Denver and Phoenix. I-10 back to FL, home by October 17.

Any advice on what to see and what to skip between Denver and Phoenix? Bryce Canyon is on our list and we're happy to get off the interstate, UT Hwy 89 looks interesting. We've been to the Grand Canyon (not in an RV), so might skip that for better suggestions. Due to DW's arthritis, hiking is out, but short walks are fine. Expect to settle for commercial campgrounds since my initial research shows getting a walk-up site in a National Park is doubtful at best and everything at Zion and Bryce is already reserved.

Still deciding on taking a toad vs renting a car once we get out there. Since we intend to hit the high spots and can use the park shuttles to get around, I'm leaning toward not taking a toad. Open to opinions here, too.

Thanks for the help. Steve
StephenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2017, 09:02 AM   #2

You have lots of options between Denver and Pheonix. First drive north on 25 to Loveland and drive through the Rocky Mountain National Park. Come out the other side and pick up I-70 by Silverthrone (or make a day trip to RMNP from Loveland). In Grand Junction there's the Colorado National Monument. Next is Moab, UT to see Arches, NP.

You can across 70 and down 89 to visit Bryce and Zion. You can find someplace between the two and visit both from the same campground.

Stay on 89 and head towards Kanab then east to Page. Stop at the north rim of the Grand Canyon.

After page head towards Flagstaff, pick up 17 which takes you to Pheonix.

I only hit the highlights of places to see along the way.

Hope this helps! Enjoy your trip!!!!!
Old 03-30-2017, 09:13 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A few suggestions:

Durango, Colorado (Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad)

Monument Valley

Bryce Canyon National Park (already mentioned)

Zion National Park

Canyonlands National Park

Arches National Park

Meteor Crater

Mesa Verde National Park

Rocky Mountain National Park
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:15 AM   #4

Depending on your route, Arches National Park in Utah is really cool.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 12:30 PM   #5

If you're ready for a stop at Flagstaff, Bonito national forest campground is very unique and beautiful. It's at the entrance gate of Sunset Crater Nat'l Monument a couple paved miles off Hwy 89 just north of Flagstaff. From there is a loop road through the national monument with some Indian ruins to check out.

Before Phoenix from Flagstaff you might consider visiting the Sedona area. We always stay in nearby Cottonwood at Dead Horse Ranch State Park.

Also, from Denver if take I-25 south you could check out Taos, New Mexico and Santa Fe. The Hatch chili peppers will be in season and they'll be roasting them on the street corners to purchase. The restaurants will also feature them. Santa Fe Skies is the place to stay and you can do a day trip to Taos.

With your timeframe I'd suggest skipping Rocky Mtn. Nat'l Park and head south to the other national parks in Utah. Rocky Mtn. is a zoo and if you're not hikers there are better places to go to use your precious days.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 04:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenW View Post
We're new to MH travel, so looking for some travel/sightseeing advice for a CO/UT/AZ trip in a 35' class A gasser.
Departing Jacksonville, FL September 4, seeing friends on
Lake of The Ozarks for a few days, then

I-70 west, arriving Denver around September 14th.

THINK ABOUT RT 50 TO SALIDA,CO, might just be more fun! IF DENVER is a must then Just head up. Bing Maps https://binged.it/2ogxlvi

Need to be in Phoenix for a family reunion by September 29th, so we'll have about

Could you get just a few more days?

2 weeks between Denver and Phoenix.

Two weeks will work to just drive by these locations with little time to just STARE and MARVEL at the BEAUTY, but there is just so much to see and do in these areas

I-10 back to FL, home by October 17.

How about November 17th or Thanksgiving.

Any advice on what to see and what to skip between Denver and Phoenix?

I love it all, so SKIP Denver, just get into the mountains and Enjoy the Sights.

Don't Miss - Buena Vista and the Collegiates - Independence Pass (in the Toad) - Leadville - Turquoise Lake - Red Cliff - Aspen/Maroon Bells - Marble - Red Stone - Black Canyon of the Gunnison - Ouray - Silverton - Telluride - Trout Lake - Mesa Verde - Monument Valley - Phoenix. (Just put in a way points on the Map)

See why you might need more time. Look this over for the Last Week of September just past Telluride - https://lynn.smugmug.com/Travel/Colo...pens/i-tsVRkXg

The Aspen are changing during this time - IMHO this is a BIG BUCKET LIST ITEM!!!!! So plan accordingly.

Bryce Canyon is on our list and we're happy to get off the interstate, If we were able to add a couple more weeks you might be able to see Utah - October and November are great Months to be there. Home just in time for Christmas.

UT Hwy 89 looks interesting.

RT 89 could expose you to Antelope Canyon - Page and the North Rim would all be fun on the way to Zion - Bryce - RT 12 - Capital Reef - and Goblins with Escalante and Kodachrome just as drive throughs. Then drive over to Moab before heading south to Canyon de Chelly on the way to Texas/Carlsbad and Home

We've been to the Grand Canyon (not in an RV), so might skip that for better suggestions.

North Rim - You've now added a MONTH or TWO right!

Due to DW's arthritis, hiking is out, but All of these spots are GREAT DRIVE THROUGHs so just take more time and not have to drive out without the proper REWARD!

short walks are fine.

MUCH OF WHAT i HAVE SUGGESTED WILL WORK WITH JUST SHORT WALKS

Expect to settle for commercial campgrounds since my initial research shows getting a walk-up site in a National Park is doubtful at best and everything at Zion and Bryce is already reserved.

Still deciding on taking a toad vs renting a car once we get out there.

IMHO TAKE THE TOAD.

Since we intend to hit the high spots and can use the park shuttles to get around,

I'm leaning toward not taking a toad.

IMHO TAKE THE TOAD.

Open to opinions here, too.

Thanks for the help. Steve
Tried to insert as much random info as possible -you NEED MORE TIME.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:12 AM   #7

In trying to keep the OP short, I left out a couple of items that affected the great replys so far:

1) Denver is not a stop, just passing thru on I-70 coming from Missouri. I only mentioned Denver as where I expect to be two weeks before the Phoenix family reunion.

2) We've been all over southern Colorado, including 4 Corners, Mesa Verde, Durango, Silverton, Gunnison, Monarch Pass, Cripple Creek, Pikes, Peak, Pueblo, Colorado Springs, etc., which is why we aren't going back this trip.

3) I realize two weeks is not enough time to see Western CO, UT and Northern AZ. We are trying to add a few more days or a week. We have to be home in Florida by October 17th or 18th, so there is some flexibility.

4) We may add some time after Phoenix, but intend to hit New Mexico and Southern TX highlights. Still working on that.

5) Looks like the Arches Nat Park is out. Campgrounds closed due to road construction thru November, according to their website.

Keep those ideas coming and thanks again for the great ideas.

Steve
StephenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 08:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenW View Post
In trying to keep the OP short, I left out a couple of items that affected the great replys so far:

1) Denver is not a stop, just passing thru on I-70 coming from Missouri. I only mentioned Denver as where I expect to be two weeks before the Phoenix family reunion.

2) We've been all over southern Colorado, including 4 Corners, Mesa Verde, Durango, Silverton, Gunnison, Monarch Pass, Cripple Creek, Pikes, Peak, Pueblo, Colorado Springs, etc., which is why we aren't going back this trip.

3) I realize two weeks is not enough time to see Western CO, UT and Northern AZ. We are trying to add a few more days or a week. We have to be home in Florida by October 17th or 18th, so there is some flexibility.

4) We may add some time after Phoenix, but intend to hit New Mexico and Southern TX highlights. Still working on that.

5) Looks like the Arches Nat Park is out. Campgrounds closed due to road construction thru November, according to their website.

Keep those ideas coming and thanks again for the great ideas.

Steve

1. If Denver is just a drive through have you thought about Heading out RT 40 through Berthoud Pass - Rabbit Ears Pass - Steamboat - Stagecoach SP - Steamboat Lake SP - Yampa River SP - Dinosaur NM - Flaming Gorge - then South in Utah to see - Arches may be a little difficult but will still be worth the time/effort - CanyonLands - Rt 128 - Goblins SP - then on to Capitol Reef - Rt 12 - Escalante - Kodachrome - Bryce - Zion - North Rim - Page, just to throw a few names out there.

2. I've seen SouthWestern Colorado also, But Never Enough - will always go Back! Just Love the San Juan's.

3. True you need more time, but even if you do not take the proper amount of time at each stop, at least drive by to see if you might have an interest on the next trip. Just soooooo much out there to see and do.

4. After Pheonix think about - Canyon de Chelly NM - Carlsbad NP - Neat little state Park just past White Sands - Oliver Lee Memorial State Park - Hill COuntry - River Walk - Just soooo much........

5. Plenty of other CG' in and Around Moab, so you could still drop by.

Just a couple of thoughts,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:41 AM   #9

My suggestions would be the
1. RMNP from the east entrance. We stay at Chatfield SP in Denver, but may be hard to get into this late especially on the weekend.
2. Grand junction - Grand Mesa, Colorado Natl Monument, fruit and wineries - nice KOA there
3. Moab - Arches and Canyonlands Nat Parks. We stayed at Portal
4. Southwestern Utah NP's
We've always towed and would not want to be without the convenience of having a car along.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote