Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2011, 07:16 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question Coast Hwy- LA to Seattle?

We're leaving Texas July 11th for Huntington Beach, and from there we want to travel the coast highway in our 37' MH with toad.
We've heard that there have been some problems with the road and were wondering if there were any parts of hwy 1 we should avoid?
Please give me your personal experience and knowledge of this.
Ed

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2011, 09:13 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
The main problem we encountered was that there are very few places to stop for fuel or meals that you can fit into. Also, no "rest stops". We were in a 40' MH and really missed the convenience of the truck stops that line the Interstates. Even finding a place along Coast highway to just pull off the road to stop and stretch was tough. Good luck.

llmrealestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:14 PM   #3

Seattle's a LONG way from the Pacific Coast. There have been a number of postings recently about problems on 101 between LA and the Oregon border. You might want to do a search.

We planned to do a long stretch of 101 from Bandon, OR to Astoria and then across the Columbia bridge into Washinigton and up to Bremerton and a ferry home. We covered the OR coast as far as Lincoln City before a combination of rotten weather (it was October) and a back injury to me caused us to head for home from Lincoln City.

If you have the time, going all the way to Port Angeles on 101, then taking WA 20 to Port Townsend and crossing to Whidbey Island is well worth the trouble. Around our home town of Anacortes there are lots of places to see.

After you'r done you can go WA20 from Anacortes east to I-5 and south to Seattle. If you come to Anacortes, take advantage of the state ferries to visit some of the San Juan Islands (but take the toad, not the RV).

If you'd like more detailed information on our neck of the woods, send me a PM.

Frank
Old 07-05-2011, 09:43 PM   #4

California HWY 1 can be a real challenge for larger RV's especially south of Monterrey, CA. Personally, North of San Francisco I would NOT take my RV on highway 1 but I would not hesitate to recommend Hwy 101 all the way north.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:34 PM   #5

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

CHECK YOUR MAP FOR hWY 101. Here is a long winded suggestion. Hwy 1 from Santa Monica to Oxnard is managable (with my M?H and toad. Hwy 101 from Oxnard to Salinas ( you might want to stay places along the way and toad Hwy 1...Buellton (Flags RV park), Pismo Beach (Pismo Coast Village RV Resort), San Luis Obispo (Hwy 1 to Hearst Castle). When you get to Salinas Hwy 68, I think, over to Monterey and hit Hwy 1. Hwy 1 to Santa Cruz then Hwy 17 to San Jose (becomes I 880) stay on 880 to Oakland and take I 80 toward Vallejo where you want to take Hwy 37 West to Hwy 101. This by passes San Francisco where you really don't want to drive a M/H with toad as there are no Freeways or wide roads). You can stay North of S.F. and toad around the Bay Area. Stay on 101 all the way to Astoria Oregon. Again stopping along the way and toading Hwy 1 ( Bodega Bay, Fort Bragg, Etc.) Once into Oregon Hwy 101 parallels the Pacific. Consider staying @ Harris State Beach Park in Brookings, several other State Parks and private RV parks along the way and finally Ft Stevens State Park outside of Astoria. I usually head over to I 5 from Astoria so others would need to give recommendations on Hwy 1/ 101 up the Washington coast. Although I have done 101 from Olympia to Port Townsend and then surface Hwys to Bremerton to Tacoma and I 5 to Seattle.
It is a really fun trip lots of scenery and natural beauty.
PM me if you want more detail...IF you belong to the ELKS ther are many lodges with RV parking along this route.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:08 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' View Post
CHECK YOUR MAP FOR hWY 101. Here is a long winded suggestion. Hwy 1 from Santa Monica to Oxnard is managable (with my M?H and toad. Hwy 101 from Oxnard to Salinas ( you might want to stay places along the way and toad Hwy 1...Buellton (Flags RV park), Pismo Beach (Pismo Coast Village RV Resort), San Luis Obispo (Hwy 1 to Hearst Castle). When you get to Salinas Hwy 68, I think, over to Monterey and hit Hwy 1. Hwy 1 to Santa Cruz then Hwy 17 to San Jose (becomes I 880) stay on 880 to Oakland and take I 80 toward Vallejo where you want to take Hwy 37 West to Hwy 101. This by passes San Francisco where you really don't want to drive a M/H with toad as there are no Freeways or wide roads). You can stay North of S.F. and toad around the Bay Area. Stay on 101 all the way to Astoria Oregon. Again stopping along the way and toading Hwy 1 ( Bodega Bay, Fort Bragg, Etc.) Once into Oregon Hwy 101 parallels the Pacific. Consider staying @ Harris State Beach Park in Brookings, several other State Parks and private RV parks along the way and finally Ft Stevens State Park outside of Astoria. I usually head over to I 5 from Astoria so others would need to give recommendations on Hwy 1/ 101 up the Washington coast. Although I have done 101 from Olympia to Port Townsend and then surface Hwys to Bremerton to Tacoma and I 5 to Seattle.
It is a really fun trip lots of scenery and natural beauty.
PM me if you want more detail...IF you belong to the ELKS ther are many lodges with RV parking along this route.
Great advice right down to the suggestions on Flying Flags RV Resort and Pismo Coast Village. Be sure not to confuse highways 1 and 101. Highway 1 is the Pacific Coast Hwy and you need to be a bit selective on where you take your rig there.

To explore the Bay Area, I'd recommend Welcome to Novato RV Park! | Novato RV Park which is north of The City on 101 and near the ferry terminal if you are inclined to take the ferry in.

If you're interested in spending time in Napa Valley we spent a week here Napa Valley Expo last fall. It's all new and VERY nice.

Oregon has about the best state parks we've ever seen and we loved Cape Blanco State Park where we could walk out on the bluffs and watch whales splash around and take a hike along a cliffside trail which in spots tunnel through the trees to a lighthouse.

Lastly, if you're on a budget, try to cut back a bit before you get to California. Sticker shock can be a real pain.

Best of luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote