Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2013, 01:52 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Question Cobourg to Orlando

OK so we are planning a trip to Orlando at the end of July. We plan to stay for 3 weeks a Disney's Fort Wilderness but as this will be our first major trip in our Class A HR SBT36 we are looking for any advice you could offer. We live in Cobourg which is approx. 1 1/2 hour east of Toronto and will be travelling with our two wiener dogs. We have driven to Disney before by car and have crossed at the peace bridge then via Eire, through West Virginia, South Carolina to I95 then on the I4. We plan to travel over 3 days and it would be good to do a little site seeing along the way. Any advice on route and overnight stays would be much appreciated for this nervous but excited newbie

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2013, 05:03 PM   #2

I guess the big one is going to be how comfortable a) you, and, b) your rig is with hills.

Hills that don't seem like much in a car suddenly get a bunch bigger in a Motorhome.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for your reply
We have very little experience as we only purchased the coach New in July last year. We have made several short trips local to where we live in Cobourg to get the feel of the coach but I can't say we have encountered any serious hills.
Our coach is a gasser 6.8L V10 Triton 362HP 457lbs/ft torque, GVWR 22000lb and GCWR 26000lb. We don't have a toad at the moment so not sure if this coach 'likes hills' or not.
Do you know if there is an alternative route with less hills?
Old 02-08-2013, 09:57 AM   #4

There is, but I doubt you'd like it. West to Sarnia and down I-75 takes you around the worst of the hills, but from Cobourg that's quite a piece out of your way.

My suggestion would be to either take a short 'experimental' trip first on a route that will take you up & down some good-sized hills, or just take it easy and enjoy the trip south.

I doubt you"ll have any problems, but you won't be breaking any speed limits on the up hills and learn you'll to go over the tops a little slower so you don't have to ride the brakes down either. You won't be setting new fuel economy records either.

I have a smaller class C, but my dad has basically the same coach as you. He swears the extra 250km, 150 miles (in his case) to go out through Sarnia and down I-75 is nothing compared to the extra fuel burned going up & down all those hills on I-77 / I-79. He says to him it's a lot more relaxing too. Having done both routes many times myself, I find I-75 a lot more interesting, there isn't the long, long stretches of nothing but fields & trees there is going the other route.

If time is no big issue, you could also go out past Kingston and cross at the 1,000 islands and go down I-81 to Washington, D.C. and then all the way down I-95. It's a more 'urban' route but offers some great side-tracking along the way. Out to the Delaware coast, the Chesapeake Bay bridge/tunnel is great, the OBX (Outer Barrier Islands), Myrtle Beach, Charleston, Savannah are all great scenery.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you for the advice

I just did a quick look on Google maps and there is not a great deal of difference (on paper that is). Going via Kingston adds approx. 30 minutes and 100km - via Sarnia adds approx. 60 minutes and 140km. We a planning to do this over 3 days. Both alternative routes sound interesting so we may do both, one on the outward journey and one on the return.

I will spend more time researching if there are any restrictions for our coach on either route.

Your advice is very much appreciated

(sorry to hear your dog passed - we had 3 go over rainbow bridge in the last 10 months)