Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2016, 04:09 PM   #1

Cody WY Day Drive

Just for anyone visiting Yellowstone. If you get tired of the crowds in the park, you might try this loop:

Starting in Cody, head north on hwy 14. Stay left on 294 to 120. Take 120 to Belfry, Montana then left on 308 to Red Lodge. From there take 212, the Beartooth Scenic Highway. Now you have the option of taking the 212 to the NE entrance of Yellowstone, or after you come down off the pass, take 296 (Crandall Road) over Dead Indian Hill and back to 120 and back into Cody.

Here's some inspiration:

Highway 294:

Gardiner Lake near the top of the Beartooth Pass:

I wouldn't recommend this drive towing a long TT or in a large MH. Lot of up and down and switchbacks, but if you are camped near Cody, it makes a great day trip.
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2016, 04:47 PM   #2

Totally agree! It's a gorgeous ride.... without a RV. Very nice pics!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 05:45 PM   #3

We did the Cody-Cody loop in the other direction and it was awesome.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:52 AM   #4

This looks great!

From the NE entrance to Yellowstone, can we get back to Fishing Bridge Campground without backtracking or having to leave the park?

Thanks!
McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 12:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGarrett50 View Post
This looks great!

From the NE entrance to Yellowstone, can we get back to Fishing Bridge Campground without backtracking or having to leave the park?

Thanks!
No problem (except it will be a little slow depending on park traffic). Enter at the NE entrance, then continue to Tower Junction, then turn left and go south through Canyon Village and on to Fishing Bridge.
Old 12-03-2016, 01:07 PM   #6

Thanks for posting.

We'll have to try the Beartooth Scenic Highway the next time we're up north on our way back to OR from the aviation event at Oshkosh ,WI. We usually use hwy. 14/16 into the east entrance, then to the Tetons and down the Snake.

IMHO, it's difficult to avoid beautiful scenery in that part of the country, it seems to be everywhere, just some places a little better than others.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:28 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
If I'm coming from the Midwest and planning to enter thru Yellowstone's "East" entrance are there any campgrounds between Cody and the East entrance that are private campgrounds or ones that have at least electric service? This will be about May 12-15 time frame or later. I know for the most part we will be dry camping inside the park for 10-14 days, so I figure since I'll be driving across the country for 3 days to get to Wyoming, I would like to have a planned stopover to make sure I'm set for the next 10-14 days of dry camping.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
If I'm coming from the Midwest and planning to enter thru Yellowstone's "East" entrance are there any campgrounds between Cody and the East entrance that are private campgrounds or ones that have at least electric service? This will be about May 12-15 time frame or later. I know for the most part we will be dry camping inside the park for 10-14 days, so I figure since I'll be driving across the country for 3 days to get to Wyoming, I would like to have a planned stopover to make sure I'm set for the next 10-14 days of dry camping.
Although I haven't camped there, I see several on various websites and on Google Maps between Cody and the Park. Go to the AllStays website and click "Wyoming" then "Cody" or "All Wyoming RV Parks" and you get quite a list, with contact info.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:07 PM   #9

Quote:
If I'm coming from the Midwest and planning to enter thru Yellowstone's "East" entrance are there any campgrounds between Cody and the East entrance that are private campgrounds or ones that have at least electric service?
Yellowstone Valley RV is one RV park between Cody and the east entrance. It's in a pretty setting and is quiet and yet close enough to do things in Cody.

Cody, WY Campground Reviews - Best of Cody Camping - RV Park Reviews
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:09 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Beautiful country! OUR country!
2015 Winnebago Minnie 2101DS travel trailer & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts of WindyNation solar (parallel) with MPPT controller, 2 Trojan T-125s, TALL flagpole and a great attitude…SoCal based. Perfer USFS, BLM, COE, USF&WS, NPS & state park campgrounds.
LarryW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:40 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I did a Google Map search and the Yellowstone Valley RV came up. I kind of bulked at the $60 a night price. Also notice there was a WY .state Park just west of Cody. called North Fork with some electric sites.

I guess I have to wait till the reservation system comes back up for Yellowstone campgrounds. She said maybe Wed.

If having my first night in YS on May 17th, is that too early as far as the weather? The Madison Campground is at 6800' so can it get into the 20's at night?
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:34 AM   #12

Quote:
I did a Google Map search and the Yellowstone Valley RV came up. I kind of bulked at the $60 a night price. Also notice there was a WY .state Park just west of Cody. called North Fork with some electric sites.

I guess I have to wait till the reservation system comes back up for Yellowstone campgrounds. She said maybe Wed.

If having my first night in YS on May 17th, is that too early as far as the weather? The Madison Campground is at 6800' so can it get into the 20's at night?
In May, some parts of the park may not even be accessible yet. In some years it is still winter then. That is something which is impossible to predict this far in advance. It could be a lovely spring, or it could be winter right through Memorial Day.

I would be prepared for chilly weather, but it would be unusual to have to worry about anything in your RV freezing up even if it gets into the 20's at night. Daytime should be 50's at least in late May. From the Yellowstone NP Lodges website:

Quote:
Spring Weather

Spring (April to early June) can be a magnificent time in Yellowstone. At the same time, spring is the transition from winter to summer, and as such can offer a sampling of each. Snow, rain, or extremely warm and pleasant days can all occur within the week. With this in mind, we suggest springtime visitors be prepared for the variety of weather patterns that can accompany the springtime “transition.”

Average daily temperatures can range from highs of 40’s – 50’s (5-15°C) to 60’s – 70’s (15-25°C.) Overnight lows can fall to near zero (-20°C) but often are in the 30-40 degree range.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:47 AM   #13

Although there is no electric, there are several FS campgrounds along the way between Cody and YNP as well as a large FS dump station with water. I can't pinpoint these for you because we seldom plan in advance where will stay, I can only say we have used these several times and they are there. Perhaps someone else can pinpoint them?

Prices are about $14.00 for camping (half that with the "old timers card") and a recommended donation for dumping and water.

We boondock most of the time and filling and dumping are most important to us, electricity comes from the generator while stationary and alternator while driving.

Have a wonderful trip.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:44 PM   #14

We've stayed at a FS site Crazy Creek just outside the park. Most of the FS camp grounds in the area have been outstanding. Plus they aren't as crowded as inside the park.
Jimbow is offline   Reply With Quote