Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2014, 09:15 PM   #1

Cody, WY East to I-90, Sheridan

What think you of Rte. 14 from Cody to I-90 / Sheridan in a Journey 39W w/ CRV?

Would you prefer Cody to Greybull --S. on Rte. 20 to Worland--and E. on Rte. 16 to Buffalo?

Make any difference West to East or East to West?

Thank you,
Ron

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2014, 10:24 PM   #2

There are actually three good routes. In addition to the two that you mentioned, it is also possible to take 14a through Lovell, and then merge with 14 at Burgess Junction. All three are probably a little easier west to east, but not significantly so. Which route you want to take will depend on how comfortable you are with mountain driving.

Of the three, hwy. 16 is the easiest to drive, but it is also the least scenic. If you take 14, stop and take the short walk to the falls at the Shell Canyon visitor center.

My favorite route is 14a. However, it is the steepest of the three. If you do go that way, you should stop and see Bighorn Canyon National Recreation Area which is a little known gem. The scenery is spectacular. Bighorn sheep and wild horses are often found right along the road. The campground is free, but there is a small charge for electric hookups.

If you want a real adventure, forest road 26 intersects 14 a little east of Shell Canyon. It is steep and unpaved, but is in decent condition. It winds around, changes name to Red Grade Road, and finally hits hwy. 87 which will take you to I90. Of the several camp ground along FR 26, my favorite is Dead Swede C.G.

Have a good trip.
Joel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14a.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	61353   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bighorn Canyon NRA.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	61354  

Name:	Sheep.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	61355  

J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:23 AM   #3

I suggest you avail yourself to "Mountain West Directory for Truckers and RV"

The entry for 14A discusses 10 miles of 10% grade

The entry for 14 discusses 18 miles of 5 - 7 % grade

I have travelled 14 east to west ... it is doable but you need a lot of caution ...

A friend travelled 14A west to east in a Monaco ... he said it was really a challenge getting up ... he would not do it again

I have climbed a 10% grade in Utah but it was only a little over a mile long ... 2nd gear ... and the temperature gauge was climbing

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post
I suggest you avail yourself to "Mountain West Directory for Truckers and RV"

The entry for 14A discusses 10 miles of 10% grade

The entry for 14 discusses 18 miles of 5 - 7 % grade

I have travelled 14 east to west ... it is doable but you need a lot of caution ...

A friend travelled 14A west to east in a Monaco ... he said it was really a challenge getting up ... he would not do it again

I have climbed a 10% grade in Utah but it was only a little over a mile long ... 2nd gear ... and the temperature gauge was climbing
The first photo in my post above is of a sign near the junction of 14 and 14a pointing out the 10% and 7% grades on those two roads. I have driven both with no problem, but my 5er is not real heavy, and my diesel truck has pretty good torque.

When climbing a steep grade, there are way of avoiding overheating:
1. Go slow and stay in a low gear.
2. Turn off the air conditioning.
3. If needed, open the windows and turn on the heat.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:58 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We did the Cody to Greybull --S. on Rte. 20 to Worland--and E. on Rte. 16 to Buffalo, no problems and a beautiful drive.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
There are actually three good routes. In addition to the two that you mentioned, it is also possible to take 14a through Lovell, and then merge with 14 at Burgess Junction. All three are probably a little easier west to east, but not significantly so. Which route you want to take will depend on how comfortable you are with mountain driving.

Of the three, hwy. 16 is the easiest to drive, but it is also the least scenic. If you take 14, stop and take the short walk to the falls at the Shell Canyon visitor center.

My favorite route is 14a. However, it is the steepest of the three. If you do go that way, you should stop and see Bighorn Canyon National Recreation Area which is a little known gem. The scenery is spectacular. Bighorn sheep and wild horses are often found right along the road. The campground is free, but there is a small charge for electric hookups.

If you want a real adventure, forest road 26 intersects 14 a little east of Shell Canyon. It is steep and unpaved, but is in decent condition. It winds around, changes name to Red Grade Road, and finally hits hwy. 87 which will take you to I90. Of the several camp ground along FR 26, my favorite is Dead Swede C.G.

Have a good trip.
Joel
I like the highway 14 route and the Bighorn Canyon National Recreation Area is a great, well-kept secret. Horseshoe Bend CG is in beautiful scenery with some pull-throughs and electric.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_3940.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	517.9 KB
ID:	61581   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3963.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	283.0 KB
ID:	61582  

Old 04-28-2014, 09:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post

Have a good trip.
Joel
Here's some Highway 14 pics:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_3900.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	270.1 KB
ID:	61586   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3901.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	340.7 KB