Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2016, 08:24 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Coeur d'Alene, ID

We are in Bozeman now and making our way to Oregon. We have two options.... travel Gallatin highway to West Yellowstone then over to 84 thru Boise (been that way before and been to YS), or stay on I90 towards Spokane and down into OR. Pretty much same distance either way.

If we take the I90 route, what are must see, must do things in or around Coeur d'Alene? Or, anything else along that route?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2016, 10:51 AM   #2

If your stopping in the area; Coeur d'Alene; for a day or two , The Navy run RV park on lake Pend Oreille, and the, WW II, submarine training facility there make an interesting stop. It's been a number of years since I was there , so I can't comment on tours.

EDIT: Should mention , the facility name is pronounced Pon-der-ay ??, if you pronounce Pend Oreille the way it's written, the locals , look at you funny.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:51 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Coeur d'Alene, ID

In Coeur d'Alene you can get a fine breakfast at Jimmy's Down the Street.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:10 AM   #4

IMHO, you have nothing but beautiful country ahead of you no matter which way you choose to go. As WV to OR transplants in the early 70s we've gone back to WV nearly every year since the late 70s, although everything except last year were with a TC.

We've gone both of the routes you suggested, although it's been a while since we've gone through Spokane. We came back through YS and the Tetons and 84 last year as we have a number of times before that. A couple other routes we've taken over the years were to get off 90 near Missoula and down Rt 12 (history, scenic) into WA then into OR, and off 90 just past where you are/were to the Big Hole and follow the Salmon River until we got to 84. We haven't spent much time in Coeur d'Alene, sorry.

Have a wonderful trip.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:05 PM   #5

I agree with Dix39 ... US 12 is a beautiful route ... it is historic (Lewis and Clark), scenic (follows Lochsa River), there is a gigantic dam at Orofina, Nez Pearse historical site (Lewis and Clark), jet boat ride up the Snake River in Lewiston.

The Smoke Jumpers facility in Missoula gives interesting tours of their training facility.

We travelled it towing.

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:52 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
In Coeur d'Alene you can get a fine breakfast at Jimmy's Down the Street.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
That place was featured on one of the Diners, Drive-ins and Dives episodes.

Thanks to all for the great suggestions. We've decided to head up to Coeur d'Alene this trip. From there we will trek down to Redmond/Sisters, stopping in Kennewick to stay on the Columbia River.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:35 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
If your stopping in the area; Coeur d'Alene; for a day or two , The Navy run RV park on lake Pend Oreille, and the, WW II, submarine training facility there make an interesting stop. It's been a number of years since I was there , so I can't comment on tours.
Skip, couldn't find any listings for Navy Lodging/Campgrounds in Idaho, do you have additional information?

Thanks

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:03 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
Skip, couldn't find any listings for Navy Lodging/Campgrounds in Idaho, do you have additional information?

Thanks

Fred
https://parksandrecreation.idaho.gov/parks/farragut

Try Farragut State Park. Spent the Week end with the Kids, Grand Kids and Great Grand Kids. 21 of us.

History of Farragut State Park
Farragut State Park was the former site of Farragut Naval Training Station, a major training base of the U.S. Navy during World War II. The base was named after David Farragut, the first admiral in the U.S. Navy, the leading naval officer during the Civil War.
Knowing that President Roosevelt was seeking a location for a secure inland naval training center, Eleanor Roosevelt allegedly noticed the lake on a flight to Seattle. Ground was broken in March 1942, and by September the base had a population of 55,000, making it the largest city in Idaho. Liberty trains to Spokane ran three times daily. *At the time Farragut was the second-largest naval training center in the world.

Over 293,000 sailors received basic training at Farragut during its 30 months of existence. The last recruit graduated in March 1945 and the facility was decommissioned in June 1946. It was also used as a prisoner of war camp; nearly 900 Germans worked as gardeners and maintenance men. *In 1942, Lt. Commander Henry T. McMaster, supervisor of support services at the station, contracted photographer Ross Hall to produce group and portrait photos of all recruits and companies. Operator of a studio in nearby Sandpoint, Hall employed up to 15 workers in creating a photographic archive of more than 300,000 images.
From 1946-49 it was the site of the Farragut College and Technical Institute, which did not re-open in late 1949 due to financial difficulties. *The park adjoins the deepwater Lake Pend Oreille, where the Navy maintains a submarine research center at Bayview, the Acoustic Research Detachment. *The land was transferred to the state of Idaho in 1949 and became a state park in 1965.
Tour the The Museum at the Brig during your Farragut State Park visit.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:18 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Good choice,
I took this route (Hwy 90) many times in my semi (Mid 80ties) so couldn't stop. There is a lake on the west side of town (Coeur d'Alene) it always looked beautiful. I can't remember the name of said lake but if you have the opportunity to stay over night there will you let me know how your stay was. Before I leave this world I want to get back there to spend some time. Beautiful.
Have a great trip
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:19 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Good choice,
I took this route (Hwy 90) many times in my semi (Mid 80ties) so couldn't stop. There is a lake on the west side of town (Coeur d'Alene) it always looked beautiful. I can't remember the name of said lake but if you have the opportunity to stay over night there will you let me know how your stay was. Before I leave this world I want to get back there to spend some time. Beautiful.
Have a great trip
Tim
Tim, we will be staying for 4 days at Blackwell Island RV Park which is right on the Spokane River which appears to be at the northern end of Lake Coeur d'Alene. We are looking forward to it.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:00 PM   #11

Take a drive back East about 40 miles and check out the Cataldo Mission at exit 39. Constructed between 1850-1853. While in the area continue a few more miles to the Enaville exit and have dinner at The Snake Pit. Don't let the name scare you. Also in Coeur d'Alene on Sherman Ave, stop by Hudson's Hamburger. 4th generation is running it now, go in the back and check out the Hydroplane exhibit. Get there early avoid noon.
Rich49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:21 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Tim, we will be staying for 4 days at Blackwell Island RV Park which is right on the Spokane River which appears to be at the northern end of Lake Coeur d'Alene. We are looking forward to it.
Wow the rv park looks nice. I'm currently in the hospital, might have too stop there on the way home from sno-birding in AZ. Next spring. Enjoy your stay. Good rates too!!!!!
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote