Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2016, 12:23 PM   #1

Colorado

Help, trying to go south from I70 from the Glenwood Canyon area. I tried route 24 with my jeep and would not like to drive it with my 39ft Phaeton. Can anyone tell me if route 91 is better suited for a large RV? trying to get down to route 160 towards Pagosa Springs. Thanks, Jeff
KTMONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2016, 12:57 PM   #2

Sorry, I don't see a 91 from I-70 on the maps.

To get to Pagosa Springs from I-70/Glenwood Canyon 24/285 to 160 west is the best way.

You don't want to take 82 and if you take 50 out of Grand Junction you definitely won't like 550 south into Durango.

You could take 50 to Ridgway then 62 to 145 past Telluride and south to Cortez but you'll still have a steep downhill on 145 - no worse than Hwy 24.

We've done all the roads mentioned with our 40' motorhome with no problem. I'd take 24 if I were you.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMONE View Post
Help, trying to go south from I70 from the Glenwood Canyon area. I tried route 24 with my jeep and would not like to drive it with my 39ft Phaeton. Can anyone tell me if route 91 is better suited for a large RV? trying to get down to route 160 towards Pagosa Springs. Thanks, Jeff
With your directions I'm lost..............

From Glenwood Springs I'd head down Rt 82 to Rt 133 on to Delta (more than likely this would require a few days as the stops in Maroon Bells - Marble - Redstone usually takes some time)

Continue to Montrose then on down Rt 550 to Ridgway - decision time - the Million Dollar Highway (Rt 550)? or Rt 62 to Telluride and Rt 145 to Cortez? (this will take a week as Telluride - Trout Lake - Dunton - Lizard Head - Rico are all fun then you are just a few miles from Mesa Verde - so why not) From Cortez just follow Rt 160 to Pagosa Springs.

So it seems that I must not be in the right spot as I cannot remember Rt 24 south off I-70 except at Minturn just outside Vail - and I love that drive al the way to Leadville - Buena Vista - Salida to Rt 160 to Pagosa Springs.

Still Rt 91 comes into I-70 at Copper Mountain - to Leadville and is a really Easy drive.

So what did I miss - where are you really? or are you Lost?

Hope this helped you out as all the roads I mentioned are beautiful drives and I enjoyed them in my Coach.

Best of Luck,

. .
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:48 PM   #4

Thanks Busskipper....now I see where 91 is - just a little bitty road. We've always used 24 off I-70 so don't know about 91.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Thanks Busskipper....now I see where 91 is - just a little bitty road. We've always used 24 off I-70 so don't know about 91.
We would use Rt 91 (excellent Road) as the easy escape from the Heat in Golden, couple of hours to drive up set up and Catch Dinner at Quincy's (Love the Steak) With Turquoise Lake and Independence pass, as a day drive to the Bells hard not to want to be there. (high of 75 low of 45, was 100 today in Maryland)

Son liked Rt 24, and he bought property in Red Cliff - the Green metal Bridge - and then just a Beautiful drive on up to Leadville. Two years ago we did it late September - Special!

My guess is the OP was in Vail and thought he was in Glenwood Springs.

Guess he will figure it out as he bumps around Colorado.

Busskipper
Old 08-13-2016, 08:16 AM   #6

CDOT info will clear up most roads and conditions.

Road Conditions, Speeds, Travel Times, Traffic Cameras, Live Streaming Traffic Cameras, Road Closures and Road Work Information provided by Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) a branch of Colorado Department of Transportation

As they say Picture is worth a thousand words

Tags
colorado