Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2011, 01:41 PM   #1

Colorado in the Winter

We're interested in taking the family on a ski trip to Colorado in our RV and wondered what advice all of you seasoned RVers might have regarding best places to take a large motorhome. We're thinking of the Breckenridge or the Telluride areas. We've only had an RV for a year, have never taken a winter trip in it and are from the deep south, where snow is almost non-existent.

We have a tag axle Monaco with 425hp Cummins ISL 1200 ft lbs of torque with ATC. How can we expect this thing to handle in icy or snowy conditions and can we pull a Yukon.

What say you, oh wise ones?
blyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2011, 02:37 PM   #2

If you are traveling on a clear day on clear roads you will not have any problems.However side roads will most always be ice/snow packed.I would not tow on snow pac.Drive the toad by itself.It gets cold hear and there will not be any place to get water and to dump.There is a campground in the Breckenridge
area(Tiger Run)for a place to park.I do not think that any hook-ups are in the offing.I have no knowledge of Telluride.I would not take a RV to the mountains in the winter,but that's just me-as a hunter I have had to drive in winter weather pulling a trailer-NO MORE.I store my trailer close to hunting area.Good Luck!
Old 07-26-2011, 03:29 PM   #3

I agree with Rich. Colorado in the winter and spring in the mountains can be real unfriendly, numerous things can happen to your plumbing let alone snow and ice on the roads including interstates. Snow plows a lot of time cant keep up with the snow. This year we didnt take our moho out on the road until late May. And then it was iffy.
Moho in Co. in winter not recommended.... How do I Know ? I have lived here for 40 years...
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:09 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
We went to Tiger Run before Christmas one year and pulled our Suburban. We lucked out on the weather, but had planned on unhooking the Suburban if it was slick. Going to Tiger Run would be alot easier because its just off of I 70 and they keep it open on the most part. Flew to Telluride once, would be a better drive in the summer. I 70 can get scary too, we went one year and the sun was shining on the east side of the tunnel and a snow storm blowing on the west side when you came out. Winter camping was new to us, didn't use our hook-ups, as we were directly across from the bath-pool house. You can buy or rent a heated water hose from them at the campground. The temps dipped to 20 degrees at night, we would take a electric heater for the front of the motor home next time. Tiger Run is a great place to stay and close to the ski areas. Great time skiing! Good Luck!
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:10 PM   #5

Doesn't Colorado still have "Chain Laws"?. My memory is if the chain law is in effect over a pass or otherwise high elevation road, you must have chains OR approved snow tires. I remember a roadblock where people were turned back due to a lack of these required items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donandmax View Post
I agree with Rich. Colorado in the winter and spring in the mountains can be real unfriendly, numerous things can happen to your plumbing let alone snow and ice on the roads including interstates. Snow plows a lot of time cant keep up with the snow. This year we didnt take our moho out on the road until late May. And then it was iffy.
Moho in Co. in winter not recommended.... How do I Know ? I have lived here for 40 years...
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:17 PM   #6

Doesn't Colorado still have "Chain Laws"?. My memory is if the chain law is in effect over a pass or otherwise high elevation road, you must have chains OR approved snow tires. I remember a roadblock where people were turned back due to a lack of these required items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donandmax View Post
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:40 PM   #7

In my younger years, I spent about 10 days in Colorado ski bumming each winter the last week of January ... one of the guys had a class C and we dry camped in it ... sleeping in sleeping bags (even when the overnight temps were in the single digits) using public restrooms all the time. Most years we would ski Winter Park, Keystone, Breckinridge, Copper, Snow Mass, Vail, and Aspen. We would plan our trips over the moutain passes when the weather allowed travel without chains ...

And in more recent times I have taken my own motorhome, with my wife, to Colorado (Breckinridge and Snow Mass) and New Mexico (Angel Fire) to ski. Angel Fire is a whole lot simpler with a motorhome because the elevation is lower and the roads to get there are "friendlier"

Here are my hints for skiing and staying in your motorhome
  1. Fill your fresh water tank and stow your hose ... use the on board water
  2. Dump your holding tanks and stow your hose immediately after dumping
  3. Bring trouble lights to put in the bays where you have fresh water connections and or water pump ... for me that is two bays
  4. Bring disposable wood (or similiar) blocks to put under your jack pads because the altenate thawing and freezing is likely to cause your jack pads to stick to the ground
  5. You will probably want to leave your skiis in a locker at the hill or in your toad because bringing snow into the motorhome will be a problem.
  6. Bring along a bag of kitty litter in case your drive wheels are on an icy spot
  7. And most importantly, if you encounter a storm coming or going, hole up until the roads are clear, sliding off the road with a big rig will ruin your day ... and most likely cost you a dozen or more lift tickets
I suggest that you try a lower elevation ski destination until you understand how this all works ... so my suggestion would be Angel Fire (Monte Verde RV Park) for the first year ... and after you have that mastered then you may be ready for Breckinridge ... and if you want it really simple you could stay in Sante Fe and drive the 20 or so miles to ski there.

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:29 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yikes, I do not go where there is white stuff on the ground with my RV. Driving conditions can be too dangerous.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:43 PM   #9

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman
Yikes, I do not go where there is white stuff on the ground with my RV. Driving conditions can be too dangerous.

Ken
Ken, don't you live in Texas? Isn't that where the white stuff comes in from the south?
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:17 AM   #10

Thanks so much, guys.

That's all great information. We are currently at Tiger Run and really enjoying it. It's a great RV resort. We're thinking we'll probably take 'skigramps' advice and try Angel Fire first. Always wanted to visit there, anyway.

You guys are so helpful.

Martin and Bonnie Lyons
blyons is offline   Reply With Quote