Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2016, 08:55 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Colorado/Moab trip

Hey folks wife and I are planning a trip from Fort Payne Alabama to Silverton Colorado in sept. I plan to go direct to Memphis and catch I-40 west to Albuquerque and then 550 up to Silverton. We will stay there a week or so and swing by four corners on our way to Moab. Leaving Moab we are planning to go I-70 to Denver and down to Colorado springs so we can go up Pikes Peak. Leaving co. spr. we will take 25 I believe it is to Limon co. where we will pick up I-70 again on to St Louis, Nashville and home.
I have a 29' Four Winns class C with the GM 8.1 towing a jeep tj. Anyone know of any problems with my route or setup? Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2016, 09:16 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
It's U.S. 24 from Colorado Springs to Limon, not 25. Your route will take you over some beautiful roads, but they do have a few passes to negotiate. Pay attention to temperature gauge and downshift when temperature starts to rise. Higher RPMs will circulate coolant faster and make fan turn more too. Going downhill, again use a lower gear and use brakes to quickly drop speed by 10 mph, then take foot off until next need to slow by 10 mph. Stop and take photos to let RV cool down.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:19 PM   #3

You might want to google highway 550 and read about it. If you go north of Silverton on 550 it''s called the million dollar highway. also it can be cold at night in late Sept and maybe a snow flake or two
Old 08-25-2016, 07:48 AM   #4

Should be a fun trip, great time of year to travel. As stated, 550 is the pits north of Silverton, hairy at points. Have a good time, enjoy!
Old 08-25-2016, 08:31 AM   #5

Couple other options would be. Instead of going to 4 Corners between Silverton and Moab go from Silverton to Moab via 550 to US50 to I-70 then down to 4 corners then 160 across southern Colorado to Walsenberg to I 25 north to the Springs then US24 out to I 70 in Limon.
As mentioned 550 can be thought of as tough by many but you will see 18 wheelers as well as many rv's using it everyday with no problems. Yes you need to watch the road and not the scenery but it is really not that bad (though I live here and drive the mountains frequently). You will not be going 60mph the speed limit is substantially less than that anyway.
Or stick with original plan but on return from Moab take I-70 to US50 and take 50 across the state to Penrose just past Canon City and take 115 up into the Springs. Only one pass Monarch and it is not a big deal. that way you can avoid I 70 coming into Denver from Eisenhower tunnel down which depending on day and time can be a real pita traffic wise. You will also avoid the Denver traffic and the Springs traffic until you get right into the Springs.

Also whether coming or going from Moab to I 70 Take 128 either off of I 70(on I-70 I believe the sign says Cisco) or out of Moab If out of Moab when you reach the "T" intersection once up and out of the canyon the sign tells you to go left to I-70 however you can save eight miles and go right road is of the same quality). It follows the river up through the canyon. It is a beautiful drive. Is shorter in distance but not time, time wise it is comparable.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:22 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for all advice and avoiding all the traffic would be great but we kinda want to at least see Denver as we pass, this may be a once in a lifetime trip. I have watched vidoes on 550 and I think it is doable for me.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:53 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
U.S. 550 is a federal highway. It's very doable and worth the trip. Denver isn't too bad, just tune to local radio for traffic conditions. The E-470 highway around Denver is a very expensive toll road for RVs with toads. The worst area is right at the I-25/I-70 junction. (Malfunction Junction) You can get off of I-70, from east of Denver, go south on I-225 if you're heading south to I-25. Try to avoid I-70 into the mountains during evening rush, especially Friday.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:39 PM   #8

If you want to see Denver then 70 to 25 is the only way to see it.
C470 on the west side going south to 25 is toll free it is not e470 though the poster is correct on the toll portion is ridiculous. If you take c470 you will skirt the west and south side of town and not really see the city a few suburbs but that's all
Old 08-25-2016, 08:59 PM   #9

We have pulled our large 5th wheel a number of times on 550 from Durango to Montrose and vice versa. It is a worthwhile trip, especially when the aspens are turning. If you are going to Silverton, Ouray, often referred to as the Switzerland of America, is just a little further up the Million Dollar Highway and the San Juan Skyway is also worth the drive. And, of course, time permitting, a ride on the Durango-Silverton steam train is another option. There are no guardrails on the downslope side of the road so snowplows can push the snow off the highway so some folks get a little nervous.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 11:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverat View Post
Hey folks wife and I are planning a trip from Fort Payne Alabama to Silverton Colorado in sept. I plan to go direct to Memphis and catch I-40 west to Albuquerque and then 550 up to Silverton. We will stay there a week or so and swing by four corners on our way to Moab. Leaving Moab we are planning to go I-70 to Denver and down to Colorado springs so we can go up Pikes Peak. Leaving co. spr. we will take 25 I believe it is to Limon co. where we will pick up I-70 again on to St Louis, Nashville and home.
I have a 29' Four Winns class C with the GM 8.1 towing a jeep tj. Anyone know of any problems with my route or setup? Thanks
Plan sounds great! 4X4 Trails to die for - will just name drop for things along the way.Alpine Loop - Telluride - Lake CIty - Ouray - do not miss any of these.

When Leaving Moad drive out Rt 128 to catch I-70 - Great drive along the Colorado River - Glenwood Springs - hot springs and the Colorado River again - just beautiful - if time permits take the time to Catch Maroon Bells - SPECIAL - Look at getting of I-70 at exit 171 Minturn/RedCliff/Leadville and come into the springs on CRt 24 out of Buena Vista - Lots to see and do there and will be better than driving Through Denver(JMHO) - If this were my trip I would spend time in Buena Vista and the Collegites More like the Silverton area - just love it - Sorry but Pikes Peak does nothing for me, as we really love the wild and Beautiful spots in Colorado.

Enjoy the trip, you have te perfect set up.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 03:47 PM   #11

What he just said. Much more to see than Denver.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:46 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the info, we will probably bypass Denver if traffic is that bad but would still like to climb Pikes Peak just to say I have if nothing else.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:56 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Even I-25 and I-70 have toll lanes through Denver now, so watch the left lanes. They really rack you for toll. Toll is 2 axle vehicle fee then additional vehicle fee for every axle after that. For my tag axle MH and toad, I would pay 4 vehicles worth at each toll, and they are not cheap tolls either. The E470 if fixed value, the others adjust with traffic.

Denver's skyline is pretty. If you break down like me on I-25 in front of the stadium, you get to enjoy the view for several hours waiting for the heavy wrecker
Old 08-28-2016, 05:12 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
We did the Durango to Silverton train just a few weeks ago...
the back 2 cars were all Texans we found out...
riding on the 'caboose' could not have been better as were able to hang out on the back platform and literally hang over the side to take forward looking pics !!!

the first 2 hours was great - the last 90 minutes not so much --- and in our groups opinion Silverton was not worth the visit - maybe if you were going trail riding or whatever or in the winter, but we didn't like it - and took the bus back for different scenery.

And see you have a jeep - SO many places to go --> http://www.traildamage.com/trails/ Only went up to 12,000 feet on a goat path and had to turn around as the passengers got scared

DO a rafting trip - much fun !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3451671.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	475.7 KB
ID:	137431   Click image for larger version

Name:	DurTCapture.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	238.9 KB
ID:	137432  

Click image for larger version