RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2019, 11:05 AM   #1

Colorado Mountain Travel

Could use opinions from those who’ve driven the route below. Our coach is in the signature, below, as well as what we tow.....

We’re taking rte 285 north to Buena Vista, from South Fork, and then traveling to Breckenridge.

Since we’ve never traveled this route, what should I expect? Will the coach handle the elevations and grades? I think the ISL 9, along with the engine brake, will do fine but I’m trying to get a feel from folks who’ve been there. The only pass I see is Hoosier, at 11,541’ 8%, and nothing else.

Or would it be best to travel 24, 91, 70, to 9 south to get to Breckenridge?

Thanks

Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2019, 11:36 AM   #2

Your route is just fine, stay right at Leadville and there you are!

Old 12-29-2019, 12:55 PM   #3

Thanks for the response, but I guess I should have been more specific.

Our “preferred” route is 285 to 9 north into Breckenridge. This will bring us through Hoosier pass. This is the route I’d like comments about.

Our secondary route is to the west of Breckenridge, 24,91,70 to 9 south.
Old 12-29-2019, 02:41 PM   #4

Nothing wrong with that route either, just more passes but a still nice drive.
Old 12-29-2019, 03:28 PM   #5

Hwy 9 doesn't have long stretches that are steep but going down the North side of Hoosier expect steep tight switchbacks. (10 mph) The traffic will backup behind an RV so please use the turnouts to let them by.
sanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 03:38 PM   #6

Not familiar with your routes but, in unfamiliar areas, refer to Mountain Directory
http://www.mountaindirectory.com/ There is a West and East coast version. Both available in Paper Back or downloadable. Listing paved roads with 4% or steeper grades, and details for both directions. Approx.: $25 for both. Been using them for 15 years.
Old 12-29-2019, 03:40 PM   #7

According to the 'Mountain Directory for Truckers & RVers' (highly recommended for you, by the way), Hoosier Pass Hwy 9 on the north side is 8% steep for 4 mi. with 10-20 mph hairpins all the way down.

Fremont Pass on Hwy 91 has a descent going north for 4% for 1.5 miles; then 7% for the next 3 miles; then 3 mi. of 5-6% until I-70.

Both passes are at that elevation and even I-70 has the same elevation and grades.

Your motorhome will have absolutely no issues doing either. Get into lower gear before beginning the descent; not in the midst. It'll be over before you know it!!

Busskipper - a regular here and an expert in this area should be chiming in shortly.

We've done 91 but not 9 with our 40' MH. However, we were in the mountains all the time so don't know what your experience is.

I hope you're not doing it at this time of year!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 04:59 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies.

We’ll be passing through this area this coming summer, July and August. I have plenty of experience driving mountains, but have never been to Colorado. The engine brake, on the Cummins ISL9, is awesome and I’ve used it many times. It will be fully engaged during any and all descents.

I’ll be getting a subscription to Mountain Directory for Truckers and RVers, both east and west, since others have mentioned it during my search of the Colorado area.

Main reason for this thread is to understand the roads, passes, grades, and anything out of the ordinary. It’s always been my experience to hear from others who have travelled these roads before me..
Old 12-29-2019, 07:36 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
You should do fine on that route. Beautiful drive but slow going down hill. Use your engine brake and lower gears and you should not have a problem.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:28 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Depending on where you are staying in Breckenridge, the route thru Leadville takes the same time if you are staying north of town. Both routes are very doable and equally scenic.
Old 12-30-2019, 06:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by snxwmxn View Post
Depending on where you are staying in Breckenridge, the route thru Leadville takes the same time if you are staying north of town. Both routes are very doable and equally scenic.
This is good to know. While planning campgrounds we decided to do both routes. One as we head North and the other when we come back South to our next destination.

Appreciate all responses!

Thanks

Tags
colorado, travel