Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2018, 02:55 PM   #1

Colorado National Parks Route

We are starting in Denver around September 9 and need to be in Albuquerque (Baloon Festival) on October 4. We are trying to plan a route to include Rocky Mountain National Park, Great Sand Dunes NP, Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP, Durango/Silverton, Mesa Verde NP, Moab (Canyonlands NP and Arches NP), and Capitol Reef NP. We drive a 31' Winnebago Vista LX (V-10 gas) and tow a Honda Fit. Questions:
1. Are there roads in here that pop up an Google Maps routes that should be avoided in the RV?
2. What would be the"best" route?
3. Is there enough time to do this many sites justice, or, conversely, are there other sites not too far out of the way that we should see?

Thanks,

Frank
fbutera is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2018, 06:47 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Frank,

I see that you haven't had much response to your post. You haven't told us anything about you and who "we" are. Do you want to drive to each park, drive through reading the signs, getting out and taking a few pictures then getting back in your vehicle and go to the next photo point or do you like to get a day pack on your back, whip the kids into line and take a hike? Whichever is you or some combination of the above has a lot to do with if and how you can accomplish this in a month. Colorado, Utah and New Mexico are big states. You are in for a lot of windshield time!

I will start with the roads to avoid that may show up on google. CO 82 between Aspen and Leadville is a NO NO! Don't even think about it! That is it for absolutely NO-NO roads.

If it were me I would leave Denver going west on I70 to US40 west. Near Granby take US 34 East to Grand Lake. Get an RV park there and use your car to tour Rocky Mountain NP. RMNP only has one main road so unless you plan on hiking you see what you see from the road. I wouldn't take the motorhome over US 34 from Estes Park to Grand Lake because it can be a little crowded, it could have snow and it is difficult to get our MH with toad off the road for sight seeing and picture taking.

From there choose a route of your choice to get to Moab and the NP's in Utah. After the Moab deal retrace your route back to Grand Junction and get US 50 east to Montrose. I would probably find an RV park somewhere in the Montrose/Ouray area and day trip from there to Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Depending on your MH mountain skills and your courage you can take US 550 from Ouray to Durango. This is a beautiful drive...you might enjoy it more in your car when you can stop at pullouts to enjoy the vistas. You might enjoy this more if you left your MH in the RV park and used your car.

Presuming you didn't drive the MH to Durango on US 550 then make your way to Cortes via CO 62 and CO 145. Turn east on US 160 to Mesa Verde. There is a nice campground in Mesa Verde. You will probably do quite a bit of driving in Mesa Verde in your car. It is hard to enjoy this park without doing some hiking!

From Mesa Verde head east on US 160 to Alamosa and Great Sand Dunes. Beware, Wolf Creek Pass just east of Pagosa Springs is a FORMIDABLE pass. The highway is wide, the curves are gentle but grade is STEEP and LONG. Practice your down hill driving so you know how to do this without over heating your brakes. Driven correctly your MH will have no problems...it will just be slow at times. Slow is good especially going down hill!

From Great Sand Dunes head south through Taos, Espanola to Sante Fe where you get I25 to Alb.

I've driven every one of these roads in a motorhome, most of them more than once and I would/will do it again.

Have fun. This is truly spectacular country.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbutera View Post
We are starting in Denver around September 9 and need to be in Albuquerque (Baloon Festival) on October 4. We are trying to plan a route to include Rocky Mountain National Park, Great Sand Dunes NP, Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP, Durango/Silverton, Mesa Verde NP, Moab (Canyonlands NP and Arches NP), and Capitol Reef NP. We drive a 31' Winnebago Vista LX (V-10 gas) and tow a Honda Fit. Questions:
1. Are there roads in here that pop up an Google Maps routes that should be avoided in the RV?
2. What would be the"best" route?
3. Is there enough time to do this many sites justice, or, conversely, are there other sites not too far out of the way that we should see?

Thanks,

Frank
First off in your rig you will be fine on most of the paved roads in Colorado that's are not restricted.

As you will be in Colorado during the Aspen season so when I get to a computer I'll put together a map for you.

So much more to enjoy and experience during your travels. Routes will be critical in helping you discover the state so I'll return and will give you a map and more insights.

Is this just a trip to check off NPs or see some of the State.

Will return later.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:51 AM   #4

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
Hi Frank,

You haven't told us anything about you and who "we" are. Do you want to drive to each park, drive through reading the signs, getting out and taking a few pictures then getting back in your vehicle and go to the next photo point or do you like to get a day pack on your back, whip the kids into line and take a hike? Whichever is you or some combination of the above has a lot to do with if and how you can accomplish this in a month. Colorado, Utah and New Mexico are big states. You are in for a lot of windshield time!
Thanks. To answer your questions, my wife and I are 67 and 66 years old, retired, and in good health. We like hiking, but keep it to around 5 miles per day max. We are also considering bringing bikes, but don't like "real" mountain biking nor riding on busy roads. I do like photography, but am not a fisherman nor kayaker. We like to keep drives under 6 hours/day and spend more than one night per stop (except on the interstates coming from and going home, where one nighters and WalMarts are fine). We prefer hook-ups but are OK with boon-docking if that is the only option. We have been to Colorado before, but not in our motorhome, and have seen Denver, Boulder, Vail. Aspen, and Steamboat.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Thanks.
To answer your questions, my wife and I are 67 and 66 years YOUNG

old, retired, and in good health.

We like hiking, but keep it to around 5 miles per day max.

We are also considering bringing bikes, but don't like "real" mountain biking nor riding on busy roads.

I do like photography, but

am not a fisherman nor kayaker. We like to keep

drives under 6 hours/day and

spend more than one night per stop (except on the interstates coming from and going home, where one nighters and WalMarts are fine).

We prefer hook-ups but are OK with boon-docking if that is the only option.

We have been to Colorado before, but not in our motorhome, and have seen

Denver, Boulder, Vail. Aspen, and Steamboat.
OK - lets see if I have it - Young - Will Hike - Carries a SLR Camera - stay a couple of Nights then break and re set - Prefer FHU's but do Wal*Mart and occasional BoonDocking - Have skied in Colorado but not really seen it.

September in Colorado - https://lynn.smugmug.com/Travel/Colo...pens/i-tsVRkXg

Stan Parkers Images - Colorado Photo Gallery by Stan Parker at pbase.com

Old Post of Mine on some of Colorado - https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...1.cfm#26550381

What i'd suggest is to start in Denver - get to RMNP - will be closing and Crowded with "Newly Weds and Nearly Deads" - Drive down Peak to Peak to Idaho Springs and I-70 to Rt 91 to Leadville or over Trail Ridge to Grand Lake then RT 9 down to Silverthorne and on to Leadville.

Then >>>>>>>>>>........................are we on the right track, if so let me Know, Got to go to the Beach - -
Old 08-08-2018, 02:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Then >>>>>>>>>>........................are we on the right track, if so let me Know, Got to go to the Beach - -
Yes, you are on the right track. Very helpful.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Yes, you are on the right track. Very helpful.
Beach was really HOT - so I'll try a few more Ideas/thoughts;

Dino National Monument - Steamboat is also an option for some of the early part of the trip - Yampa River SP - Steamboat Lake SP - Stagecoach SP - Golden Gate Canyon SP - Grand Lake - Rifle Falls SP are a few of the good spots on the Northside of I-70 that come to Mind.

I'm thinking that we might go out through the San Juan's and watching the Aspen Change and catching Mesa Verde as the last of Colorado as you head out to the Balloon Festival.

The Passes will be Critical - Maroon Bells will be great usually around the 18th to the 27th are prime to gone there.(The Bells are the most Photographed place in Colorado) Independence Pass is restricted and is a great drive - one year we drove it it was just changing on the 21st and 6" of snow on the 26th when we came back through, then the Collegiates were almost perfect.

The Collegiates are Unbelievable - during this time of year - But there is hardly a drive in elevation that does not have just some amazing beauty that will not take your breath away.

IMHO the San Juan's are just Special - I'd look to renting a Jeep to do Alpine Loop either from Silverton - Ouray or Lake City this was the drive My DW has said was the best I've ever taken her on! (We Drive Often on trails and spots few go - this was the Best.)

Take time to go to the Colorado Tourist Bureau to get a State Map as it will show the Scenic drives and that will help with route planning.

Map - https://binged.it/2OW4ZRc

5 days across - 5 days back - then a week getting to Ouray and the rest getting to The Balloons.

I've been on all these roads in my Signature Rig so if you are ok in the Mountains you should be fine.

Hope this helps,
Old 08-08-2018, 05:23 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hello again Frank,

I hope you have had suggestions that fit your model of a good trip!

I will caution you on at statement made by another responder. He suggest you drive Independence Pass. He may have been suggesting that you drive it in your toad and that would be fine. But...this is the CO 82 that I cautioned you on. The road is restricted to vehicles under 32'. You barely make it but that isn't all. Portions of the road are very narrow and meeting oncoming traffic is dangerous in a wide vehicle. Two sections of about 1/4 mile are a single lane and blind corners. Your motorhome will not fit with oncoming traffic! In addition there are often bicyclists who seem to think they own the road.

Independence Pass is a spectacular drive. I do it several times per year going to visit my kids. Just don't try it in your motorhome.

The later part of your trip will definitely get you into the fall color season. So some driving just to see the sights is in order.

From you description of your travel style it looks like you can pick several spots for multi day stays and tour in your car....perfect.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:10 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Frank

We'll keep an eye out for you. Coming thru Moab the end of Sept. Through Dolores, over to Durango and Ignacio. Then to the Fiesta, have to report to work, are you a navigator?
Stop by Chase Crew Hqs. and sign up for a crew. The BEST way to enjoy the Fiesta

Norm
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colorado, national