Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Colorado Roads

Taking a trip this summer to Colorado.... Was wondering if anyone has ever taken CO Hwy 50 from Pueblo to Grand Junction in their MH??? I'm interested in something scenic and on the map this looks interesting with numerous camping spots off the main highways....

But - don't want to get myself into a road I'd have issues in with a 40' MH....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Its a awesome drive you will have no problems,

Old 11-29-2012, 01:48 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
I was hoping that would be the case..... Thanks.... Any suggested CG 's ??
Old 11-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
Taking a trip this summer to Colorado.... Was wondering if anyone has ever taken CO Hwy 50 from Pueblo to Grand Junction in their MH??? I'm interested in something scenic and on the map this looks interesting with numerous camping spots off the main highways....

Further to this
From San Francisco to steamboat via i80 then hwy 50
I was looking at this rather than boring old 80
I'm glad this came up
Any advice
Old 11-29-2012, 05:04 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

As far as CG's go. I would recommend using www.rvparkreviews.com. There are usually lots of reviews that can be helpful in planning your trip.

Good luck
Old 11-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #6

Quote:

Hi Ernest, US 50 runs from the Atlantic to the Pacific. We live just of US 50 in southern Indiana. From Tyler, I would run I-20 to Ft Worth, 287 thru Amarillo & on N to Dumas, 87 west to I-25 at Raton, NM. From there you could go N to Walsenburg, Co, then 160 W to ?? several choices, 285 N to US 50, west to Montrose then south on 550 through Telleuride, Ouray and Silverton. Drive on to Durango or take the Narrow gage steam train From Silverton to Durango. Round trip is most of a day. If you do this the economy rail cars, the gondola is the best and cheapest. Do not wear your "sunday go to meetin white shirt" you will get some soot. This is a great trip. Hiway 550 is a little narrow and alot steep & crooked. If you are not real comfortable with that, you may want to leave your pusher and take your toad and an over nite bag, maybe even a 2 nite bag. If you drive this you will not get to see as much as your family, driving will be a full time job. In all my travels I have not been on US 50 between Montrose & Grand Junction. The map shows it to be flat and open. If time permits; think about going to Moab Utah. Canyonlands National Park & Arches National Park are only about 5 miles apart off hwy 191. This is worth while. Leave your MH in Moab, take the toad. Capital Reef & Bryce canyon are also very much worth while.

If mountains are your think. I-70 between Grand Junction and Denver is great. Berthold Pass north of Idaho Springs. The list goes on and on. Be certain that your Pac Brake or Jake Brake are in good order. Your on vacation, take your time off the passes, down shift 2 to 4 gears, let the engine do the work, save your service brakes for emergencies. There are many options. old trucker
Old 11-29-2012, 06:54 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Trucker, thanks a ton for your insight.... I'll sit down with my map and plot out what you suggest and see how it looks... We're no strangers to Colorado... Been there 6-8 times but never on Hwy 50.... So, will probably check it out..
Old 11-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
You don't want to miss the drive from Canyon City to Salida.It runs along the Arkansas river in the canyon. We have a place west of Salida in the Mayesville area. The canyon is the prettiest part of our drive from NW Oklahoma. The road has several curves but it is wide and easy to travel.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #9

A Local

We live not far off of Hwy 50, and therein lies the problem in trying to help: we drive to places, and don't camp there! A couple of observations...

Much of the original version of 'True Grit' was filmed just outside Montrose CO, so you can't hope for better Scenery. You'll go right by the ~3,000' deep Gunnison River Gorge; a real stunner.

When I Recon for an outing these days in my lil Travel Trailer, I use 'Google Earth' and 'fly over' areas to have a good look at them. Indeed, I could see individual Campsites around 'Lee's Ferry', south of Page AZ and Lake Powell, to check out exactly what I was in for.

I just saw the Google Earth Camera Car driving on Hwy 50 ~2 months ago, so the views on 'Google Earth Street View' should be of even better detail.

Using the Icon at the bottom of the Google Earth Page, you can move it over various spots and read out Elevation. This tells you what sort of elevation changes you're in for, and the elevation of a particular Campground or RV Park. Road conditions, off the main Roads, can also be seen in advance. You can get a sense of where a 40' can go. Items like Telephone Poles or Fence shadows can provide relative 'sizing' of Terrestrial Objects, like Turnouts.

Enjoy!
Old 12-02-2012, 10:08 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
We drove 50 in the coach a few years ago. We left the interstate at Colorado Springs and took 115 to Penrose then west on 50. Between Gunnison and Montrose there are numerous campgrounds along Blue Mesa Reservoir. Both state campgrounds and private. The Arkansas River is very scenic as nwokhunter said. After the river canyon it is a steady climb to Monarch pass at ~11,300 and a steady descent down the other side.
Just drove this in a car and Blue Mesa was really low. Maybe because it was in the fall.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2889379858.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	29889

This was one of the state park locations, Stevens Creek, along Mesa. No hook-ups.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
We live in Montrose and drive Hwy 50 to Colo Springs/Pueblo all the time. Beautiful drive, no issues for the motorhome. 50 north to Grand Junction is flat and wide open, 550 south to Ouray/Durango is very slow but if you are comfortable with mtn passes and narrow roads this is a drive not to be missed. Be forewarned some sections have no guard rails and can make the passenger very uncomfortable. There is a wealth of things to do and see in the area from the Black canyon of the Gunnison to 4 wheeling, the train, fishing, hiking etc. You can't go wrong if you like the mountains.