Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
colorado springs, co. to fresno, ca.

I will be leaving July 22nd. Have 35' Allegro Bay Gas no tow car. I will be taking 4+ days. I travel 300-350 miles per day. Would like to drive on cruise control 65-68 mph.

I am concerned with the fires in Utah & Wyo. & heat & deserts. My dash
a/c went out so if I have to use gen & dual a/c's in RV. haven't had to yet. Also, I hear the climb out of Denver on I70 is steep & long & slow.& downgrades low gear can burn up transmission?

Old gramma here... need your help.

Considering... I25 north to I80 west then in calif down hwy 99.

also, I25 south to I40 then in calif hit hwy 99 in Bakersfield.

there is also out of Denver I70 west then down to St. George, Vegas to I40 etc.

Suggestions? Pro's Con's. ? where to stay?

We'll be friends until I'm old and senile, then we'll be new friends.

'97 Allegro Bay 35' Chevy, '98 Saturn Wagon, Blue Ox Aventa II, Patriot Brake
rvgrammady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum.

That climb out of Denver to the Eisenhower Tunnel at 11,100' is a dozy and I was sure glad I had an engine brake to help me down the other side. I'll let others with more experience share their views on alternate routes.

Be prepared for very bumpy highways in California. You'll be passing by my old house as you come west out of the Sierras and approach Sacramento. Wave for me.

Have a safe trip.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:15 PM   #3
Excel Owners Club
I'd sure consider I-25 to I-40 to CA-58 to CA-99 if you want to avoid the big mountain grades. Of course on I-40 you will have the big pull coming west out of Needles. More than likely be as hot as the edge of hell too. That hill can be avoided. From I-40 catch US-95 north, west of Needles. Go a few miles and turn left before the railroad crossing onto old US-66. Stay with that ribbon of asphalt around the mountain and back to I-40. I'll never understand why I-40 didn't follow that route instead of over the mountain.
Auto hauler is offline   Reply With Quote