Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2018, 11:44 AM   #1

Colorado Travel

I am thinking about traveling HY 50 and 550 south from Moab Utah through Ouray to Durango, CO. I have a 31ft class C and tow a Subaru. What are the road conditions like?
WarrenJudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2018, 12:29 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

The route is not too bad until you get to Ouray, CO. It's a bit more challenging from there to Silverton. Million Dollar Highway is beautiful, but you'll be watching the road. Just use lower gears for downgrades rather than ride the brakes.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 03:49 PM   #3

As mentioned from Ouray to Silverton and even beyond to Durango though it gets better from Silverton some people freak out no guard rails, thousand foot drops all that stuff swear they will never drive it again. Road is good, has pull outs if needed fairly frequently. Speed limit is between 25 and 40 for the most part. Yes you will need to watch the road but shouldn't you be anyway, you want to gawk at the scenery pull over. All types of trucks and rv's drive it everyday. I personally find it no issue whatsoever outside of its spectacular beauty it is not much different than any other mountain road in Colorado except for its undeserved negative reputation as a dangerous road.

Brakes, exhaust brake and low gear are your friends on the downhills
Old 05-18-2018, 03:57 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryG20 View Post
As mentioned from Ouray to Silverton and even beyond to Durango though it gets better from Silverton some people freak out no guard rails, thousand foot drops all that stuff swear they will never drive it again. Road is good, has pull outs if needed fairly frequently. Speed limit is between 25 and 40 for the most part. Yes you will need to watch the road but shouldn't you be anyway, you want to gawk at the scenery pull over. All types of trucks and rv's drive it everyday. I personally find it no issue whatsoever outside of its spectacular beauty it is not much different than any other mountain road in Colorado except for its undeserved negative reputation as a dangerous road.

Brakes, exhaust brake and low gear are your friends on the downhills
I agree, the road and drop-offs don't bother me, but I used to drive a 15 passenger van with teachers on Wyoming dirt roads. Some loved it, some had white-knuckle death grips on the grab handles or person next to them. I think we've given plenty of information to the OP, the road is used by many larger vehicles than a Class C, but it's not the vehicle capabilities, but the driver's comfort and his passengers he needs to consider.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenJudy View Post
I am thinking about traveling HY 50 and 550 south from Moab Utah through Ouray to Durango, CO. I have a 31ft class C and tow a Subaru. What are the road conditions like?
Depends - some love it, some hate it

I'm in the LOVE IT Group,

But you need to just be aware that some people are just not up for it - .. - So suggest you drive it in the Toad first to be sure it's for you - The alternate Route (RT 145 is also a beautiful drive through the Mountains just not in the edge of those mountains.

IMHO the San Juan's are one of the Last Wild and Beautiful spots in the US - so set aside enough time to see and Experience it. Hike it _ Bike it - Drive the 4X4 trails, truly one place you will never forget.

Best of Luck,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:48 PM   #6

We are also lovers of the Million Dollar Highway 550 from Ouray to Durango. The rest of 50/550 is a piece of cake.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:28 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Some people love the Million Dollar Hwy. I do when I'm in my Jeep. I'm not fond of it when I'm in the MH.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
colorado, travel