Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2015, 03:58 PM   #1
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Columbus OH area to Assateague National Seashore MD

Route has me going out I-70 around the south side of Baltimore via state highway 100, sate highway 2, southward on highway 50 to little highways 376 and 611 onto Assategue Island.
Any better ideas or suggestions? While 376 and 611 are not marked as RV friendly on Good Sam's atlas but since they are the only roads onto the island, they must be fine..

Rod

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2015, 04:48 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I-70 to Rt 29 South (only a Short distance) to RT100 East to I-97 South to Rt 50 East.

On the shore Take RT 113 south (only a short distance) to 376. This road is a nice road and easily bypasses all the Ocean City traffic. Then right onto 611

cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:36 PM   #3
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc8375 View Post
I-70 to Rt 29 South (only a Short distance) to RT100 East to I-97 South to Rt 50 East.

On the shore Take RT 113 south (only a short distance) to 376. This road is a nice road and easily bypasses all the Ocean City traffic. Then right onto 611

Thanks cc8375. I-97 south to avoid highway 2.

Rod
Old 08-30-2015, 10:17 PM   #4
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm heading south out of Assateague island on highway 13 to Virginia beach, Va.. Highway 13 crossed the bay via a bridge.
How is that drive? OK for MH travel?

Rod
Old 08-31-2015, 07:37 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Yes.......... have traveled several times. The Ride across the Bay Bridge Tunnel is unlike any other. It was once considered a 8th World Wonder. We have seen Dolphins while crossing and LARGE USN ships.

The Overlook has a restaurant which is very nice. If you plan to stop there..... when you are leaving the Tunnel slow down as you come up the hill. The turn is tight and comes on you quick. So I slow down to let cars behind me know I am turning.

The parking lot is big for parking but you may have to Unhook the toad to turn around in the parking lot. A U-turn is required to head back to Va. Beach. Sometimes I unhook when I get there and / or when leaving. It is Worth the Stop.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ches...lzbCznhKbUg%3D
Old 08-31-2015, 08:09 AM   #6
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
So why does this bridge take a dive into a tunnel(s)? I can't find anything out on that.

Rod
Old 08-31-2015, 12:24 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
The Bridge has a tunnel for ship crossing. the bridge it self sits low to the water. Propane is allowed thru tunnel, just turn it off before entering.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pict...huK_L2yhPEU%3D
Old 09-03-2015, 02:05 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Actually, there are two tunnels on the CBBT - going south, the last one is only a couple of miles from Va Beach and dry land. It's the one with the restaurant/gift shop/fishing, etc. But as noted, when you're going SOUTH, the entrance is just as you come up out of the tunnel, and you have to make a sharp RIGHT turn to get into the place. It's tricky getting turned back around to head south again.

Pic is what the parking area looks like from back where the restaurant is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013_07_15_5154_web.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	105691  
Old 09-03-2015, 02:29 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The Navy demanded tunnels rather than a bridge to insure the Fleet wouldn't be lock in by collapsing a bridge. Plus a bridge would be pretty high (think Golden Gate or Verrazano–Narrows Bridge) to clear the top of an aircraft carrier. CBBT is just one of 5 under water tunnels around here. All are to insure the warships can get out.

We were at Assateague this past July. Horses and deer walking around like we weren't there.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:08 AM   #10
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Leaving Assateague we are heading to the Outer Bank.. Is the length of that area easily navigated in a 38' MH with toad?
Looking at Sands of Time as they take Passport America.. Spots are $24-27 a day..

Rod

Tags
national