Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2014, 12:24 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Condition of I-40

What is the condition of I-40 from the Memhis, TN to Flagstaff, AZ now adays? Last time I was out that way I-40 from Oklahma City to the Texas boarder was so rough that I thought it was going shake my coach apart. The posted speed limit was 45 and I couldn't run much over 20 with out fear of my coach coming apart. Roughest road that I can ever remember being on...
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2014, 12:31 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
From Albuquerque to Flagstaff is fine...just traveled that part of your route.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:43 PM   #3

It's all good from OKC all the way through to Alburquerque too, lots of new. I remember when it was pretty shoddy though, there was more construction than not. There is a narrow strech on the West side of OKC (Yukon) that is pretty tough at rush hour, skinny, skinny 2 lane with a barrior on one side and a drop off on the other than demands all of your attention for about 3 to 5 miles. Other than that it is about as good as it gets.
YZF571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:49 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hang on to the fillings in your molars going through OKC!!
Old 07-17-2014, 09:22 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
In May we took I-40 from Nashville to Barstow, CA. Some good and some bad but just like all the other interstates. I doubt you'd do any better on I-10 or I-80. If I remember correctly heading west from Flagstaff was not good.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:38 PM   #6

Carolina Campers
I took I-40 from Winston Salem, NC to Williams, AZ recently and never found it any worse than going north to NV, UT, CO, KS, TN, etc. They are all fairly good.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:03 AM   #7

Travelled I-40 from Memphis to Ft Smith Arkansas last month. The part from Memphis going west for about 65 miles is probably the most dangerous highway I have ever driven. They are in the process of repaving that portion and they have much of it locked down to 2 lanes. The worst part was the concrete barricades on the sides. Felt like I was going to hit one and extremely nervous about it the whole time. Being passed by an 18 wheeler with barricades on both sides was terrifying to me. There mirrors were literally 4-6 inches from my rear view mirrors. If I had to do it again, I would find another route. Once you get about 65 miles west of Memphis, the interstate is in great shape for the remainder of Arkansas. I will not do that 65 mile section of highway again, ever!!!!
jlabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:21 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heartland RV Club
It was ok west of Amarillo in February, wasn't the best road ever, but not the worst, I got off in Nevada and went to Vegas.

New Mexico was a pain for the first 100 miles, I had a major head wind, MPGs were bad. There was a few good grades to go up and down, but I had no trouble with em.
F239141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:23 AM   #9

Thanks for the heads up. I will sniff out an alternate to that section of I-40. Concrete barriers with the big black tire swirls are scary. Not long ago we were channeled into a single lane between concrete barriers and came up on a recently deposited "road alligator". No room to do anything but hope it didn't do undercarriage damage as we passed over it. Although it was stretched out flat, you never can be sure it won't roll up like a big ball when hit by your tires.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote