Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2015, 07:59 PM   #29

"It occurs to me that the difficulty may lie somewhere other than with the cities."

Unless you HAD to drive into the centre of a large city, why would you bother. What has any large city got for the average RVer?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2015, 08:16 PM   #30

JFXG I agree with you 100%.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:10 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
"It occurs to me that the difficulty may lie somewhere other than with the cities."

Unless you HAD to drive into the centre of a large city, why would you bother. What has any large city got for the average RVer?
In theory, I agree. However, there's no practical way sometimes than to go through a metropolitan area.

I go through the SLC corridor a lot and unless I want to go way out of my way, I have usually have to go through congested areas.

Same with the Puget Sound area of Washington state. If you wanted to go to Vancouver BC, for instance, and were coming up from California, you'd have to come through the very congested (remember, 5th on the list) Olympia-Tacoma-Seattle-Everett corridor and unless you'd be willing to go way out of your way or go through at night, there's really no way around it.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:17 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm headed from Austin through Dallas tomorrow. Then through Oklahoma on way to NW Ark. Sould be a good test my cabinets are secure. My molars are loose from last trip. JD
Hogbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:38 AM   #33

I think the most difficult thing for me is knowing what lane to be in. DW helps with paper map, and Google maps directions in the iPhone helps too. Trying to change lanes at 60+ feet in traffic is not my cup of tea.
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:01 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Well if you haven't travelled though infamous Montreal in the summer you would be in for a treat. There are four seasons there, fall, winter, spring and construction. Nowhere on planet earth is there a greater concentration of pylons. I would bet that if I were to use google earth, the screen would be illuminated orange.

Steph and Eden

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 08-19-2015, 10:49 AM   #35
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Here's an RV in Brooklyn. This guy had to be lost, but he does have a NY tag.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1501.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	279.1 KB
ID:	103864  
Old 08-19-2015, 11:01 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It seemed like forever driving through Salt Lake City two months ago on Interstate 15. They had a lot of road construction going on.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:15 PM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
Here's an RV in Brooklyn. This guy had to be lost, but he does have a NY tag.

Thank you, Pushed!! You reinforce my point! This guy's on Woodhaven blvd in Bkln, a pretty main thoroughfare. Definitely heading somewhere on a main road. Why must he be lost just because he's driving a MH in Brooklyn? The traffic lanes are just as wide, the traffic lights work the same, the signs are in English. He's familiar and you're not. Your profile says you're from Ambler- suburban Philly. Not as dense as Brooklyn but certainly not farm country either, and you drive your coach in and out without concern. You're familiar with the area. ;-)

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS 40, FL, 3126, '04 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:08 AM   #38
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Thank you, Pushed!! You reinforce my point! This guy's on Woodhaven blvd in Bkln, a pretty main thoroughfare. Definitely heading somewhere on a main road. Why must he be lost just because he's driving a MH in Brooklyn? The traffic lanes are just as wide, the traffic lights work the same, the signs are in English. He's familiar and you're not.
John, your point is well made, except that I am familiar with NYC and other cities. I just found it amusing and wondered what he was doing there as there are only truck a few routes into each of the boroughs, and he was way deep into Brooklyn. He definitely wasn't looking for a place to camp!
Old 08-21-2015, 02:45 PM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I second the folks who have nominated the east coast megaplex - from abut Richmond, VA north to the other side of Boston, the cites are, for the most part, horrible to drive in - yeah, buses go through them all the time, but the guys driving them generally don't OWN them, so if they cut a corner a bit sharp and take out a mailbox or a light pole, who cares?... The non-main streets in cities like Baltimore and Philly, both of which I've had the dubious pleasure of driving my old 34' Bounder in, are narrow and designed for horse & buggy, not Winnebagos or Newmars.

in Comparison, the downtown streets in MOST, not all, cities out west are far wider and easier to navigate. I drove the Bounder around in SLC in 2012 and was happy as a clam, even with all the light rail corridor construction.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:32 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminJersey View Post
.......in Comparison, the downtown streets in MOST, not all, cities out west are far wider and easier to navigate. I drove the Bounder around in SLC in 2012 and was happy as a clam, even with all the light rail corridor construction.
Salt Lake might not be the most typical example. When the Mormon pioneer settlers were laying out the city grid in the 19th century, it was stipulated that all the main thoroughfares (about every 3-4 blocks, both N-S and E-W), had to be wide enough for a full team hauling a freight wagon to make a U-turn. Those main streets remain extra wide to this day.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:33 AM   #41

Tiffin Owners Club
Boston is worst to drive in
Old 11-22-2015, 10:37 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Atllanta. Haven't found a decent way to bypass it going SE to NW. Seems everything goes right thru the middle.

Dick1142 is offline   Reply With Quote