Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Congested Cities You'd Least Like to Drive Your RV Through?

To respect the moderator's request to not continue to hijack avid_dk's thread here on "the best time of day to drive through Seattle...," I thought I'd just start another thread (if that's okay to do) pertaining to driving an RV through heavily congested cities as somebody mentioned that Atlanta has worse traffic than Seattle.

Being a Seattle native, I know first-hand how badly congested the Puget Sound corridor can get. It's one of the reasons why I no longer desire to live in the area full-time. On the most recent surveys/studies, Seattle continues to rank in the top ten nationwide for traffic congestion as has been the case for quite a few years.

Atlanta is in the top ten some years on some studies but Seattle always seems to be somewhere in the top ten most congested cities every year. Atlanta didn't make the top ten this year in Tomtom's Worst Cities for Traffic. Seattle is number 5 ...click here

1. Los Angeles
2. San Francisco
3. Honolulu
4. New York
5. Seattle
6. San Jose
7. Miami
8. Chicago
9. Washington
10. Portland

Seattle has always been notorious for congestion going back decades because of factors such as it's geographical shape and lack of passenger rail transportation (until 2009). The Seattle area had suffered from voters turning down the building of freeways and a passenger rail system from the 1960s and only recently has started to really kick into gear to expand the rail system in the region. So they've been way behind other cities because of their infrastructure.

Now being retired and driving my motorhome and/or car around the country, one thing I know for sure, I just don't like driving in congestion anymore!!! Any major city can be a pain and every time I get stuck in congestion, I think to myself, "jeez, this is worse than Seattle!!" ...but I'm sure in reality, it's not.

I recently drove though the Salt Lake City corridor on I-15 and got stuck in congestion and swore that Salt Lake has the worst congestion in the country. One of my home bases is outside of Las Vegas and I swear every time I drive through Vegas that it has the worst congestion and the worst drivers in the country. The last time I drove through Sacramento, I told myself, "never again!" I've only been to Atlanta twice and both times, it wasn't too bad so I can't comment on those who think Atlanta has the worst congestion. And since I mostly stay in the western states, I really can't comment all that much on driving in the DC, NY, or Boston areas but only to say I'd never want to drive my RV in those cities nor any east coast city.

I know we all will have a different opinion of what city or metro area in the country has the worst congestion as it is partly subjective. This thread will be in vain as I'm sure it will turn out to be a "Michelin vs all other brands" or "Ford vs Chevy" debate. But what city or metropolitan area would you least like to drive you RV through?

theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2015, 09:12 PM   #2
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was born and raised in LA so I know how bad it gets there. When people there ask how far something is the answer is always in time, not miles. Living in the midwest now, Indy is not bad depending on where you are going. I used to travel through Chicago on my way to Wisconsin and found another route around Chicago that was 100 miles farther but and hr shorter in drive time. On a recent trip back from Hilton Head I decided to drive all night long to avoid the heat and traffic so that is my answer for traffic jams. I work nights so being up all night is never an issue for me.

Rick and Mimi
1989 Class C Fleetwood Tioga, 26 ft on an E350 Frame
Toad: 2000 Dodge Dakota 4x4.
RBeau1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:06 PM   #3
Chicago would be the worst for us....did it once with a RV.

We always prefer getting off the interstates and traveling secondary roads. This way, you avoid any congestion anywhere.
Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:17 PM   #4
Well the hardest one for me would definitely be Honolulu.
Bob, Sherron & Kinsey (Goldendoodle)
2009 Tiffin Phaeton 40QSH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:18 PM   #5
SLC has been on the top of my "Awww, crap, we gotta go through there again?"

It has gotten better as their lane shifting construction gets incrementally completed.
Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:39 AM   #6
Lanny, Retired GySgt USMC
2016 Vilano 365RL
2016 F350 CrewCab 6.7 Powerstroke DRW
Lanny1763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:46 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
The northeast corridor: DC, Baltimore, Phila., NJ, NYC, Boston. It's all chaos!
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
2015 Kia Soul
cenfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:20 AM   #8
Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Would never consider taking a MH into Boston or NYC. Having to drive in both for work with a car was bad enough.
1996 Damon DayBreak 2500 454 P37 Chassis
NRA Benefactor, NRA, OSBI Certified instructor,
Lifemember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 04:39 PM   #9
Newmar Owners Club
St Louis. Not because of the roads or quantity of vehicles, but for the rude behavior of the drivers. Blocking lane changing, very slow to very fast driving and passing on the shoulder, just to name a few. Need to change lanes, do not activate your turn signal. That is the red flag for a local to ensure you are not able to make a lane change. Busch beer trucks or 4 wheelers, it matters not.

How bad is it? I'm planning a trip now that will add 200 miles to the route just to avoid St. Louis. Once fooled, twice a fool. There will not be a third time.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:34 AM   #10
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Wash. DC Beltway!
Hal & Ginny Miller '04 Beaver Santiam PRT40
'04 Saturn Vue - US Gear Brake - Blue Ox tow
4 "girls" (3 Irish Setters - Retriever)
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:46 AM   #11
Monaco Owners Club
Dallas. Wouldn't think of going through there without a GPS route active. Signage is poor and confusing, then with the amount and speed of traffic its a real nightmare.
2001 Monaco LaPalma
Workhorse W-22
Chevrolet 8.1L
Mageksl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:56 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Not just Dallas, but all of the DFW metroplex !
The thing I love about the metroplex is the 'suicide lanes' - they just go away with very little warning.

but in reality, we do have a lot of interstates, but with doubling population in a decade - what do you expect ?

I work from home and I STILL hate the traffic

I guess, though, it's all relative to what you are used to... the 'older' cities that have not managed to keep up with the infrastructure changes needed and the population growth are probably the worst.

BUT, we are still MILES (or kilometers ) ahead of the middle east and europe!
If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:01 AM   #13
iRV2 No Limits Club
1. Dallas

2. Boston
Camping Rig: 2006 Outback 27 RSDS--
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
Full time since June 2006
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:04 AM   #14
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
Wash. DC Beltway!
4 in the morning, it's not too bad.

Larry & Cheryl Oscar, Louie, Ranger & Henry (our Springers)
2010 Allegro RED 38QBA "Harvey"
2009 Honda Element "Towster"
PushedAround is offline   Reply With Quote