Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2012, 11:54 PM   #15

We have camped and cooked out doors in Alaska for a long time and have never had an issue with bears. Guess part of the reason is that they knew we were also hunting and would take a bear if it came into our camps. Keeping a good clean area is one of the things that is 'stressed' about being in know areas of bears. While there are many good camping areas they are not always the same places the bears stay in. We camped of the Richardson highway once and watched 26 bears from our camp and never had a issue with them getting into our stuff.
As is been said already "Alaska gets in your system' and there is no getting it out. I have only been here 42 years and could not imange living any place else.

R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2012, 12:51 AM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddintang View Post
I don't mean to be dumb, my wife may disagree, but, what are warning signs of bear activety? Also thanks for input.
It isn't dumb at all.

Bears range around a bit but they tend to hang about places where they have been successful in the past. The worst kind is the one that has gotten used to humans and human food.

Bear activity can be many things. Scat like someone mentioned is one. Tree scratchings or demolished rotten logs are also signs. Foot prints, or even human "warning signs", the ones that say. Alert, Bear in Area.

Again, it is important not to get too paranoid about bears. For the most part, they will leave you alone unless they get curious or something smells good. They don't see real well but their nose is like radar. Loud noises, pot banging, pepper spray can all chase a bear off but there is no guarantee. They don't have too much to fear in the woods so sometimes they can be a bit obtuse about being asked to move on.

In most cases, if you do have a bad bear interaction, you are paying for someone else s sins. Someone who has thrown out garbage or left food for them to find, basically taught them that humans might mean food. One time while camping in Denali National park, I was aroused from my nights sleep by the sounds of angry voices. In the site next to mine, some very nice foreign tourists had thoughtfully left the remains of their dinner, their cook stove and what not on the picnic table. Mr. Ranger upon discovering this appalling lapse in judgment was so angry that he fined them and kicked them out of the park. In their defense, they looked like they came from a place were bears were not part of their reality and probably had no idea what they had done. Nevertheless, that is small comfort to the bear who may end up getting destroyed because they have become a nuisance and threat.

The bottom line, go enjoy and don't worry about it too much. Just take some the steps that have been mentioned in this thread and the likelihood of anything bad happening with any wildlife is quite small. You are probably going to be a more risk from other drivers on the road. It sounds like it will be an awesome voyage of discovery!

Old 04-30-2012, 01:12 AM   #17

Almost all of North America is bear country.

Bears avoid humans at all cost. Just don't interfere with them.

My Dad and I caught 2 Arctic Grayling about 1/2 mile from camp when we were in the Yukon Territory. We cleaned the fish and walked back to camp through the woods along the stream. Mom met us at the trailer door and said that a bear with a cub had walked through camp a short time ago. Dad and I looked around and asked Where? She points down and said Right here in front of the door. I watched them through the screen.
According to the hype, my Mom should have been mauled or killed because there was hand lotion in the trailer. And fruit, and meat, and deodorant.

I went to Lassen 2 years ago hoping to see a bear. Did I? Nope.
Were there constant warnings and signs? Yes.
Same thing at Crater Lake.
At CL I asked a Ranger about the bear situation and using the bear box for food. She said that I should be more concerned about the campground critters getting into my stuff than the bears. There were bears around somewhere but nobody had seen any.

I talked to a trail crew at Lassen on the way to the Devil's Kitchen. One guy looked at my air horn and asked if that was my bear horn. I said Yes. He says that if I see one it will only be its butt disappearing into the brush.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:10 AM   #18
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I read that the guy killed by a bear last year in Yellowstone had seen this mother bear and cubs several times, yet continued to camp there. It seems wise to leave an area if it belongs to bears. Also, he ran but his wife rolled up into the fatal position. She survived. Sadly, the bear probably did not.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:21 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddintang View Post
We are going to Alsaka this year and I have tried to read everything I can find about making the trip. However, I have not seen anything about cooking out in Alaska. I understand that boondocking is readily available, but if you want to cook out, what are the chances of drawing some sort of wild life(bears and such) to the smell of your grill? How do you cook out with out the three bears( not to hot, not to cold, mines just right). Do I need to worry about this at all?
Thanks,
Puddintang
you can carry a shotgun through canada into alaska if you have the proper permits. you need a permit to reimport a shotgun into the us also.
it would be a shame if you had to use it.

Form CAFC 909 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:12 PM   #20

best advise i have heard for bear country is take someone with you that is a slower runner.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Wear "bear bells" if hiking in more remote areas. I always carried two metal hiking poles for hiking I would chank together every few minutes to make noise.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:35 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverfever View Post
best advise i have heard for bear country is take someone with you that is a slower runner.
Doesn't work, bears cache kill.

Saw a grizzly on the North Slope kill 3 musk oxen calves, knocked each one down in turn then went back to pick them all up. This allowed her to kill all rather just one.

So the old story about tripping your buddy doesn't really work. Given that information I still plan on tripping whoever is with me.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:42 PM   #23

Ya know how to identify grizzly bear scat?
It smells like pepper and has bells in it!! Bwaahaahahahha!
Old 05-01-2012, 02:50 AM   #24
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Bear info website

Center for Wildlife Information- Be Bear Aware, Grizzly Bears, Black and Brown Bears, Polar Bears

okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote