Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2011, 10:38 AM   #1

Corpus Christi to Galveston, Texas

We will be in Corpus Christi in early December and want to drive the coast to Galveston. I have a 5th wheel and was wondering if HWY 35 is okay to drive? will there be any ferrys to take?

Thanks, Tom

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
No Ferrys.

We live in Texas City, TX, about 14 miles from Galveston. We just made the trip to Corpus and back using Hwy 35, with exception. The exception for you would be to pick up highway 332 over to Surfside, and then take County Road 257 also known as "The Blue Water Highway." There will be a small $$ toll. I have made that trip with a 1 RWD pulling a Montana 3400RL, and the MH, 40' towing with no problem. The Blue Water Highway is a narrow two lane road but I had no problem keeping it between the lines.

An easy way to get to the Blue Water Highway would be to take 35N to 36S to 288N to 332 to Surfside. There are many other ways to get there looking at the map and none of them are a problem. About 99% of the roads in Texas are good. (IMHO)

Do you have a campground in mind?

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:11 PM   #3

Wayne, Thanks for the info. We are looking at staying at Galveston Island State Park. What do you think?

Thanks, Tom
Old 10-22-2011, 07:30 PM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Water/Electric only. There are two independent areas for camping. The main area in front of the Dunes has 3 areas within itself. It's just a short walk across the dunes to the ocean. The other area is across the highway (FM-3005) and is more secluded but I don't believe they have the "cabana" like the main side area. I think the cost is $25 a day. There are plenty of campground around this area within 20 miles of Galveston, but you'll do well at the State Park.

Do spend a day on "The Strand," in Galveston. When you are on the strand and notice that the streets are seventeen inches or so below the store sidewalks, it's because the Island properties were raised that much after a hurricane many years ago.

Up the road using Hwy-146 when you leave Galveston is The Kemah Boardwalk. It's just another nice day of walking around shopping for souvenirs that cost to much.

I don't know how long you'll be in the area, but the Johnson Space Center Houston is worth a day trip, an it is only 25 or so miles up the road from Galveston. I say 25 from Gal. but the state park is another several miles down the highway from "The Galveston Seawall" Mileage is incidental in Texas. It's how long does it take type of traveling. People in Houston think nothing about driving 150+ miles to the Austin area for a night of partying.

There is good food all over the place. Here in TC we have Grand Prize BBQ, and some nice Mexican restaurants.

The biggest shopping mall in the area is the Baybrook Mall and from the park is about 30 miles up I-45.

Happy trails. If you have any specific questions about the area - give a holler.

Give us a shout (send me a PM) when you get there and when you may have some free time. We can drop in for a sit down chat.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:31 PM   #5

Thanks for the great info. Will PM when we get there. Sounds like lots to do around the area.

Tom

Tags
texas