Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2015, 10:33 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cross Country trip this summer -Route recommendations needed

We will be doing a cross country trip this summer and I would like feedback for route's to take.

Multi stop trip. First leg from Lincoln o Hemingway will be a quickly as possible and we will most likely not do any site seeing since the goal is to pickup my father-in-law so he can see the country (might not be back again due to his age and health)

Lincoln CA - home base

Hemingway SC - first stop to pickup my father-in-law who is flying in from Italy to my brother-in-law's place.

Richmond VA - Father-in-law has a few friends there he'd like to visit

Washington DC - site seeing trip to the nations capital.

Hersey PA - wife loves chocolate so we plan on staying there a few days

Niagara Falls - going to stay at Jellystone Niagara Camp Resort

Krum TX - visit with my brother for a few days before heading back home. Might check out the Grand Canyon

I looked at possible routes to Hemingway SC and the two possible routes:

A norther route on Interstate 80 that goes through Salt Lake City, Cheyenne, Kansas City, St Louis and Nashville.

A more southern route on on interstate 40 that goes south in California though Bakersfield then east through Flagstaff, Albuquerque, Amarillo, Oklahoma City, Memphis, Birmingham and Atlanta.

Any feedback on either route?

I am leaning towards the northern I80 route since it might be more scenic and possible a cooler than going through the southern states.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance
rdrv831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2015, 01:41 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Start by asking your Father-in-law if there are any special sights, interests, or locations he would like to see or visit. You're going through a number of states that have sights and attractions to see. Lots of civil war, country music and western history there to include Route 66 which parallels I-40. Maybe first identify what is available to see and set/plan your route to it. Don't be afraid of making detours off the main highways.
Do some google searches - Things to see/do in (state/city).
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:26 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
Start by asking your Father-in-law if there are any special sights, interests, or locations he would like to see or visit. You're going through a number of states that have sights and attractions to see. Lots of civil war, country music and western history there to include Route 66 which parallels I-40. Maybe first identify what is available to see and set/plan your route to it. Don't be afraid of making detours off the main highways.
Do some google searches - Things to see/do in (state/city).
Thanks for the reply

We already have, visit friends in VA, Washington DC, Hersey PA, and Niagara falls. On the way back we will be staying at my brothers horse ranch in Krum TX for a few days then maybe off to the Grand Canyon

Was looking for a recommendation for getting from California to SC either via I80 or I40. Which route would be better for scenery since we wont be stopping much other than to sleep, gas up and eat. Going to shoot for a 4 days or less to get to Hemingway SC.

thanks again
Old 02-10-2015, 06:08 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Cherry Hill Park is the Closest Campground to Washington, DC :|: Cherry Hill Park

This seems to be the go-to place for touring DC.
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:35 PM   #5

Don't remember name but stayed in a nice CG at Fredericksburg , Va to see DC. They had a shuttle to take you to train for trip to DC. Made it easy
brabono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:13 PM   #6

Streets and Trips shows 2825 miles between Lincoln, CA and Hemingway, SC. That is a lot of miles to travel in 4 days ... so you will only be seeing things our the windshield as you pass along ...

When we travel cross country we have a hard time averaging more than 50 mph when we allow for eating, resting, and refueling ... so 700 miles a day would translate into 14 hours of travel for us ... maybe you can average 60 mph ... that is still almost 12 hours of travel per day.

I-70 through CO is much more scenic that I-80 through WY ... but it will be slower because you have to pull up at least 3 passes and take your time coming down ... there is only one pass on I-80 ... the highest elevation on I-80 is less than 9000 feet ... you will be at about 11000 feet twice on I-70

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:44 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brabono View Post
Don't remember name but stayed in a nice CG at Fredericksburg , Va to see DC. They had a shuttle to take you to train for trip to DC. Made it easy
There are KOAs in both Fredrickburg VA and Millersville MD that have a shuttle to public transit. We stayed at both last year. They were ok.
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:44 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post
Streets and Trips shows 2825 miles between Lincoln, CA and Hemingway, SC. That is a lot of miles to travel in 4 days ... so you will only be seeing things our the windshield as you pass along ...

When we travel cross country we have a hard time averaging more than 50 mph when we allow for eating, resting, and refueling ... so 700 miles a day would translate into 14 hours of travel for us ... maybe you can average 60 mph ... that is still almost 12 hours of travel per day.

I-70 through CO is much more scenic that I-80 through WY ... but it will be slower because you have to pull up at least 3 passes and take your time coming down ... there is only one pass on I-80 ... the highest elevation on I-80 is less than 9000 feet ... you will be at about 11000 feet twice on I-70
Thanks for the feedback.

From Lincoln CA to Hemingway SC we just want to get there as quickly as possible but have some scenery to look on the way. The site seeing will be done on the east coast (Washington DC, Hersey PA, Niagara Falls, etc).

thanks
Old 02-11-2015, 09:47 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by brabono View Post
This is what we are looking for since i won't have a car. Found a few places near Washington DC that offered shuttle service. if you can remember the CG and did you like your stay.

thanks
Old 02-11-2015, 10:00 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gas is cheapest in WY (I80 route). Real nice RV its at Cheyenne right off I80 that has parts and everything--can't remember the exact name but it has America in it's name. About 80 miles into Nebraska is the corporate HQ of Cabela's with an awesome store and they are RV friendly Good steak house there too. Into Iowa there is a big Bass ProShop which is also RV friendly right off I80. I80 in Iowa close to Ill border is the largest truck stop in the USA as well as the Trucker museum. On a clear day you can see the Chicago Skyline from I80/294 when going by Chicago--you can also go into the city and take the Skyway from Ill to Indiana. I294 just over the Indiana line from ILL is another Cabela's Right off I80 in Indiana is the RV capital of the world with all the manufactures in the Goshen/Elkhart area along with the RV Museum. Also it is Amish country so lots to see and EAT!
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:26 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi rdrv831,
When at the Hershey stop, consider Gettysburg, PA. Because you live in CA and you are so close to Gettysburg it would be sad for you to miss it. Artillery Ridge is the CG to stay at. Minimum 2 days is needed. On your way to the falls, consider the Binghamton, Johnson City, Endicott, NY area. There are 5 carousels, original to the early 1900's there. They are all wonderfully restored and maintained. They are also free. It'll take a day to find and ride all 5. That will not matter when finding the carousels you'll have a Spiedie for lunch and then go to Consol's for an Italian dinner that will bring tears to your FIL's eyes (original Italian family restaurant).
Go to https://plus.google.com/108329040586...ut?gl=us&hl=en for the best Spiedie place in the area.
Go to Consol's Endicott Location | 101 Oak Hill Avenue Endicott, NY 13760 (607) 754-7437 for Consol's Italian restaurant.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:00 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Totally agree with GaryKD, don't miss Gettysburg or Eisenhower Farm and home. Also, on the road up from DC to Gettysburg you go by the National Fire Protection Training Institute and the National memorial to Firefighters is on the grounds.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:19 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
We like Cherry Hill Park for RV campground when visiting D.C. Bus takes you 5-10 minutes to College Park Metro station for access to D.C. Bus runs regularly all day long. Have stayed there several times.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:19 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Heavens,
You half to stop in Minnesota and drop a few lines. Up Northern Minnesota is something that should not be missed.
I hope you consider it,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote