Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2016, 07:09 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Cross the US. Spokane, WA to Syracuse, NY

Planning a long trip to be on the East Coast for Fall. Starting on I-90 to Minneapolis and then maybe I-35 to I-80/I-90.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! =)

Thank you

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2016, 07:16 PM   #2

How soon , will you be leaving ?

Old 08-09-2016, 07:41 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Get an EzPass. They are free; you just have a credit card on file and they bill it. It really makes the toll roads much better!
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:46 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
How soon , will you be leaving ?
Sep.t 1st...returning Oct 15th
Old 08-09-2016, 07:47 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
Get an EzPass. They are free; you just have a credit card on file and they bill it. It really makes the toll roads much better!

Great advise! Thank you
Old 08-10-2016, 10:26 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cross the US. Spokane, WA to Syracuse, NY

X jaywalker..... X2 on the EZPass. It will start being useful in Illinois, and good all the way to Syracuse-- which is good because I-90 will be a toll road all the way from around Chicago to Syracuse. If you don't already have one you can stop at a rest stop as soon as you enter Illinois and get set up with an IPass. It's interchangeable, and usable anywhere EZPass is accepted. That's what we did coming east.

Question: do you plan to smell the roses across the country, or are you strictly in travel mode until Syracuse? If travel mode, there are plenty of overnight spots available, both campgrounds and big box retailers all along the way.

There are a number of places you can cut south to get on to I-80. I-29 down to Omaha, I-35 to DesMoines, or stay on I-90 to Rockford and continue south on I-39 to catch I-80 near LaSalle. Also, there are several US Highways that will take you south, and we've found that the US Highways in big farm country are usually good, well maintained double-barreled roads. Do not go any closer to Chicago than Rockford-- with the following exception: about 10 miles east of Rockford on I-90 is the Belvidere Oasis- a big rest stop where you will find an IPass office where you can get yourself all set with an IPass account. If you do this here, afterward head back west and take I-39 south. That's the way we got ours, as it seemed to be the most convenient way.

Just east of where I-39 joins I-80 at LaSalle there are four campgrounds: Hickory Hollow, KOA, Starved Rock SP, and Cozy Corners. Might be a convenient stopping point-- about an hour and a half will see you past Chicago. We've stayed at all four, and would return to any. Caveat: Cozy Corners was the most friendly and homey, but very rudimentary.

Coming through the Chicago area on I-80 you may encounter some traffic between Joliet and Gary, depending on the time of day. I've never seen bad stop n go there, but it would be prudent to try to avoid rush hour there.

Last time we came through- about two years ago- the Indiana Toll Road was starting to get a little rough.

The Ohio Turnpike has RV overnite spots built at several of their rest areas both east and westbound. First come-first served, Max 40 ft, 30A/50A elec, available potable water, and a dump station. $20/night, pay on the honor system. Nice facilities. We've used them. Check the website for details.

Travel safe!

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS, FL, Cat330, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xjaywalker View Post
Sep.t 1st...returning Oct 15th
Can't comment on road conditions ; 6 years since I was across; what I will say is that you'll be surprised at how many of the RV parks on route will be closed on your return trip . If your planning any stops be sure you have unto date info for the parks dates of operation.
The part that bothered me the most, some parks that were open , had started shutting facilities , pools , laundry, some even water at the sites , and still charged full summer rates.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:51 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
X jaywalker..... X2 on the EZPass. It will start being useful in Illinois, and good all the way to Syracuse-- which is good because I-90 will be a toll road all the way from around Chicago to Syracuse. If you don't already have one you can stop at a rest stop as soon as you enter Illinois and get set up with an IPass. It's interchangeable, and usable anywhere EZPass is accepted. That's what we did coming east.

Question: do you plan to smell the roses across the country, or are you strictly in travel mode until Syracuse? If travel mode, there are plenty of overnight spots available, both campgrounds and big box retailers all along the way.

There are a number of places you can cut south to get on to I-80. I-29 down to Omaha, I-35 to DesMoines, or stay on I-90 to Rockford and continue south on I-39 to catch I-80 near LaSalle. Also, there are several US Highways that will take you south, and we've found that the US Highways in big farm country are usually good, well maintained double-barreled roads. Do not go any closer to Chicago than Rockford-- with the following exception: about 10 miles east of Rockford on I-90 is the Belvidere Oasis- a big rest stop where you will find an IPass office where you can get yourself all set with an IPass account. If you do this here, afterward head back west and take I-39 south. That's the way we got ours, as it seemed to be the most convenient way.

Just east of where I-39 joins I-80 at LaSalle there are four campgrounds: Hickory Hollow, KOA, Starved Rock SP, and Cozy Corners. Might be a convenient stopping point-- about an hour and a half will see you past Chicago. We've stayed at all four, and would return to any. Caveat: Cozy Corners was the most friendly and homey, but very rudimentary.

Coming through the Chicago area on I-80 you may encounter some traffic between Joliet and Gary, depending on the time of day. I've never seen bad stop n go there, but it would be prudent to try to avoid rush hour there.

Last time we came through- about two years ago- the Indiana Toll Road was starting to get a little rough.

The Ohio Turnpike has RV overnite spots built at several of their rest areas both east and westbound. First come-first served, Max 40 ft, 30A/50A elec, available potable water, and a dump station. $20/night, pay on the honor system. Nice facilities. We've used them. Check the website for details.

Travel safe!

Thank you JFXG! That is very detailed and great information and I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

We will be in travel mode until we get to Syracuse. We plan on parking the MH at a GC and then driving up the coast and back down through to NY.

Again, thank you for the great advise, especially on the road conditions.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:54 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
.....what I will say is that you'll be surprised at how many of the RV parks on route will be closed on your return trip . If your planning any stops be sure you have unto date info for the parks dates of operation.........

re closed campgrounds, yes, many do start to close up in October, but certainly not all. I'll say this: on one of our cross-country trips a few years ago we left Massachusetts on Oct 7, wandered a bit visiting some friends for a day or two here and there, and then followed the I-80/I-90 corridor from Illinois to Seattle. Arrived in Seattle Nov 6. On that entire trip never had a problem with winter weather, and never encountered a closed CG. YMMV. And be prudent-- keep your eye on the weather!!

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:28 PM   #10

To the OP, why not go through the UP (Michigan upper peninsula) and avoid a good percentage of tolls and have a beautiful drive? Make sure you stop and try a pasty (pah-stee) while you're up there. And you get to drive across the Mighty Mac. Could tour Mackinac Island as well.

Better than seeing a bunch of cornfields.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:49 AM   #11

We did I-90 from WI to Spokane last year and I really liked it - good surface, low traffic, interesting scenery, low mtn passes, overnight places to stay. I've only crossed on I-90 and I-70 and I much prefer I-90. Can't offer any advice on the eastern part of your trip.
Big Dude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:48 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falfrenzy View Post
To the OP, why not go through the UP (Michigan upper peninsula) and avoid a good percentage of tolls and have a beautiful drive? Make sure you stop and try a pasty (pah-stee) while you're up there. And you get to drive across the Mighty Mac. Could tour Mackinac Island as well.

Better than seeing a bunch of cornfields.

You can take Route 2 all the way from Everett, WA to Mackinac Island, it is much nicer, but because of the small towns and wandering route a bit slower. Stop to smell the roses, the niter state is soooo boring.

DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote