Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
Mooseguy's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 48
Crossing Border

I'm going to be traveling to Canada in my DP this summer. Was wondering if you kind folks could tell me what I can expect at the border. Is there anything different with a RV??? I know I need my passport and such but wasn't sure about anything RV related. Thanks for any info.

Mooseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
Senior Member
HHIDan's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,258
Mooseguy, if you're a hunter, keep the firearms at home...

'06 Mountain Aire 4309, ISL 400-CM850, Spartan MMGT
'16 Jeep Wrangler
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
Keitha's Avatar
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NNY
Posts: 82
Try the search function ( canada border)
and you get this

Lots of good info.

We live near Canada and go over occasionally.
Pick your crossing time if possible so you cross at a slower time.
Leave the firewood and hand guns home, declare any long guns.

Depends on your State you might be able to get an enhanced License,
cheaper than a passport and good for land crossings.

Keith & Debbie
2001 MACA, 8.1L workhorse (8/12)
2008 Hyundai Elantra (FROG)
Keitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
Senior Member
Geneandea's Avatar
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 132
I have looked at taking guns with me to Alaska look at ifyour interested each province may need there own BC vs. Alberta Taking Guns Into Canada – Information for US citizens taking guns into or through Canada
Geneandea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #5
Junior Member
Thor Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 25
Usually no problem crossing the border, as said before leave any guns, fireworks, etc at home. You are allowed to take in 40 oz of spirts per adult and 1 carton of cigs per adult. Try not to cross on the weekends or holidays as it is very busy. Be polite and only answer their questions. Oh yea declare if you are taking in over $10,000 in cash. I have never had to worry about that one!

Cheers have fun
Wayne and Maryann Nanaimo BC Canada
2015 Challenger 37 GT & 2012 Honda CRV
Nanaimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
Senior Member
R2Home's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Palmer Ak
Posts: 1,124
We always have a binder that has most information in it that we need. Health certificates for our labs, shot records for the labs, insurance cards for the vehicles, and of course passports.
We declare long guns when we come through and paid the fees for them. We did get searched once coming in to the USA at Suma WA and the only tihing customs had an issue with was the opened bags of dog food.
Do not be a a 'pain' in their side and all should go well.
2009 38' Diplomat
CSM- retired, wife as co-pilot
Reka & Ali providing security (our 2 labs)
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #7
Senior Member
slickest1's Avatar
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: B.C.
Posts: 3,940
Also no fresh fruits and vegetables are allowed across.
Dennis & Marcie & Captain Hook The Jack Russell,aka PUP, 1998 HR Imperial 40 ft RVM59
A good day on the road means a better night at the park!
slickest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:44 AM   #8
Senior Member
George Schweikle's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,309
I think the enhanced license is only for states adjoining the Canadian border. However, you can get a Passport Card for $80 compared to $150/$160 for a regular passport. As Keith said, this is only good for land travel in the continental U.S.

Originally Posted by Keitha View Post
......Depends on your State you might be able to get an enhanced License,
cheaper than a passport and good for land crossings.

George Schweikle Lexington, KY
1999 Safari TREK 2830, FMCA 190830, Safari International chapter
1995 Safari TREK 2630, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:19 AM   #9
Senior Member
sdennislee's Avatar

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6,679
Long guns with out evil features are acceptable. I take at least a shot gun every time I cross. I fill out the form and pay the $25.00 registration fee. It takes less than 15 minutes to complete the process.

Typically I get more questions about cigarettes and produce. In my last 4 crossings no one has even asked why I have a shotgun.

Both times customs has wanted to look inside it was when I was crossing in to the US. One agent simple poked her head in the door and the other time the agent just wanted to look in the basement.
US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:22 PM   #10
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Okanagan valley British Columbia
Posts: 707
We really are quite civilized and friendly you know. As was mentioned, be aware of the regulations re foods, tobacco, liquor, and firearms you should have no problems.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:56 PM   #11
Mooseguy's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 48
Thanks to everyone!!

Mooseguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.