Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:21 PM   #1
crossing border near Vancouver BC

Is there a preferred route to crossing going South.

2014 Fleetwood Providence 42p
pointrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2016, 03:24 PM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
Depends on where you're coming from and where you're going. On our frequent AK trips we usually cross at Sumas, WA and head up the Fraser River valley route. In March we had a long wait at that crossing, for the first time.

New to us '04 Journey 36 with 330 Cat will be towing a '14 Sonic 1.4 liter turbo 6 spd. '05 Dodge 3500 Cummins, '09 Subaru Outback, plus a few other toys that help us get around in Alaska.
corprimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:14 PM   #3
I've crossed southbound at Sumas (in Motorhome) and Blaine, WA (in auto). I crossed Northbound (in our Motorhome) at Portal, ND. I've also crossed (in an auto) both ways at Niagara Falls and at the International Peace Gardens (Dunseith, ND). All, except Blaine, WA were uneventful (if you don't count the raw eggs that were confiscated at Portal). Blaine was just too busy! The time I queue was horrendous!

Going forward I plan on using any border crossing EXCEPT Blaine, WA. This, I think, is the same crossing that you refer to as Vancouver.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:18 PM   #4
Crossed NB at Sumas back in May. 8:00AM weekday = no line
2014 Southwind 32VS
2013 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X\2013 Honda CRV AWD
2015 Polaris RZR XP 1000\2014 KTM 350EXC
PbdBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:22 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Based on the WSDOT sign boards posted on northbound I5, the Blaine, WA., crossing wait time is most always longer than the crossing at Sumas, WA. While that's northbound, I would have to make the assumption that it's pretty much the same southbound as well.
2016 Forest River Wildcat Maxx T28RKX
USMC/USNR Seabee (SCW/FMF) Retired
VFW Life Member
Bob55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:27 PM   #6

Going West on the Trans Canada # 1, from Hope BC towards Vancouver , there is an overhead reader board before you reach the Sumas exit that gives the wait times , passed it on Tuesday at 3 PM and all crossings were listed as 5 mins. Unless you need to go into Vancouver , JMHO , Sumas would be my first choice. Fridays and weekends expect a long wait.
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:43 AM   #7
Going south Sumas crossing is tight for big rigs. Alder grove croaking much better has dedicated lane for RV but is only open 8am-midnight. Pacific highway is tight for RV. Peace Arch (i5) is very good but can have delays
Hurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 01:00 PM   #8
Newmar Owners Club
The preferred border crossing into the US is the Aldergrove/Lynden crossing on Hwy-13 (264 st) due south on Aldergrove. This is the only border crossing in the Vancouver area that has a designated RV lane. The rightmost lane is marked for commercial trucks and RVs.

If you are coming from the east it is 27 mi from the Suma highway turnoff to Bellingham using the Sumas crossing and 32 mi going through the Aldergrove/Lynden crossing. If you are coming from the west, from the Port Mann Bridge to Bellingham, via Sumas, its 56 mi compared to 44 via the Aldergrove/Lynden crossing.

I live 28 blocks north of the Peace Arch and Pacific Crossings yet I go south through the Aldergrove/Lynden crossing.

Retired and livin' the RV dream!
2005 Newmar 43 ft. MADP, Cummins ISL 400HP, 2008 Honda CR-V toad
Ron_H is offline   Reply With Quote