Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2016, 11:00 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Crossing Colorado from The Four Corners

My wife and I are planning a 3 week road trip west to Arizona and back. We have our stops going west figured out based on where family lives (Grapevine, TX and Mesa, AZ). On the return trip to Ohio we have nothing really planned. We would like to see the 4 corners monument and pass through Durango CO to I-25. As much as we would like to stay a few days in Durango, it can’t happen this trip, instead this is a Colorado scouting trip; we plan to come back next year for a week or two. It seems the main east west route is Route 160. How is that road for a 37 foot gas RV towing a car? Once on I-25 I plan to take some other road east through Kansas to I-70 rather than going up I-25 to I-70. We plan to take I-70 east to Kansas City, KS, then I-35 north to I-80. Once in Iowa we want to go to the Freedom Rock (we saw it several years ago) and then onto the I-80 Truck Stop and finally home. Other than route 160, is there any other advice for us?

Thanks in advance

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2016, 11:39 AM   #2

Hwy 160 is a good road, wolf creek pass being the worst part.La Veta pass is not much to worrie about.your on your own from there, unless you take hwy50.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:10 PM   #3

How are you going from Mesa to 4 Corners? Lots of nothing out that way...
160 from Cortez to Walsenburg is pretty much as RichR described, tho a gas RV/toad is going to find some grades long and slow, Wolf Creek being the worst. LaVeta from west is piece of cake, just long climb. From Walsenburg on into whereever, is pretty flat and boring. Roads should be ok, but haven't done that route in a long time.
Joe
'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:58 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
How are you going from Mesa to 4 Corners? Lots of nothing out that way...
160 from Cortez to Walsenburg is pretty much as RichR described, tho a gas RV/toad is going to find some grades long and slow, Wolf Creek being the worst. LaVeta from west is piece of cake, just long climb. From Walsenburg on into whereever, is pretty flat and boring. Roads should be ok, but haven't done that route in a long time.
Joe
If I go by Google maps, I should be taking I-17 north from Mesa to Flagstaff. At that point if appears that I take I 40 east to Route 89 North until I meet Route 160. Heading east on Route 160 should take me to the 4 Corners Monument then through Colorado.

Unless of course someone knows a better way to get there.

I'll have to check Mapquest and see how they compare.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:18 PM   #5

We did a similar run in March of this year (at least to Cortez) in a 37' DP pulling a Jeep 4dr Sahara. We went west on I-40 to Gallup, NM then north on the 491. I did drive the 160 west out of Cortez in the Jeep while in the area. I wouldn't have wanted to take my coach on the section that I drove in our Jeep. It was too twisty and narrow.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:03 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavingABlast View Post
We did a similar run in March of this year (at least to Cortez) in a 37' DP pulling a Jeep 4dr Sahara. We went west on I-40 to Gallup, NM then north on the 491. I did drive the 160 west out of Cortez in the Jeep while in the area. I wouldn't have wanted to take my coach on the section that I drove in our Jeep. It was too twisty and narrow.
Well, it doesn't look like I have an alternative way into Durango. It will just be slow and hopefully not too bad.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:22 PM   #7

I am in and around Cortez frequently in fact just got back yesterday. 160 is about as good a road as you are going to find in CO off the interstates. I am unsure of the previous poster talking about it being too twisty curvey. Whether east or west of Cortez as that is not the case yes there are some turns but nothing that dramatic. Maybe I am biased since I live here but it is definitely one of the better mountain roads and presents no significant obstacles at all. Wolf creek pass is a typical Colorado pass. There are a couple hairpin turns both going up and down along with some other turns but it is great it is just a bit of a slog to the top. However it is a good road RV,s and big trucks use it every day with zero issues. Once you hit south fork it is flat and straight all the way to La Veta pass and as mentioned by previous poster it is nothing major at all.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryG20 View Post
I am in and around Cortez frequently in fact just got back yesterday. 160 is about as good a road as you are going to find in CO off the interstates. I am unsure of the previous poster talking about it being too twisty curvey. Whether east or west of Cortez as that is not the case yes there are some turns but nothing that dramatic. Maybe I am biased since I live here but it is definitely one of the better mountain roads and presents no significant obstacles at all. Wolf creek pass is a typical Colorado pass. There are a couple hairpin turns both going up and down along with some other turns but it is great it is just a bit of a slog to the top. However it is a good road RV,s and big trucks use it every day with zero issues. Once you hit south fork it is flat and straight all the way to La Veta pass and as mentioned by previous poster it is nothing major at all.
Having driven many times 89 out of Flagstaff to 160 and east to I-15, I totally agree with the above description. I can't think of a place around Cortez that is twisty. It's pretty much a straight highway heading east until Wolf Creek Pass. You will have a steep uphill but many, many RVers do it. It's an extremely popular area of Colorado to RV. You might be going slow up but you'll eventually make it. Going down the other side just get into low gear BEFORE you start going down, not when you get going faster than you want. It's a multi-lane area so don't worry about taking it slow. You won't be the only one.

Pagosa Springs would make a nice stop if you're ready at that time. Soaking in the hot, clean, concrete pools overlooking the river will totally relax you for the climb up Wolf Creek Pass We pack a small cooler of snacks and drinks (although they sell things, too) and spend a whole morning going from one small pool to another. All are varying temperatures.

It'll be a very nice drive for you. Enjoy!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:47 PM   #9

Crossing Colorado from The Four Corners

I looked again at the map after reading the comments. The twisty road that I was referring to is called Road G, which is off of the 160. I traveled west on road G. All were correct about the 160. That road is terrific. I drove that road with my coach pulling the Jeep.

My apologies for the incorrect info.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:53 AM   #10

Mesa is at 1200', Flagstaff at 7000'---on I-7, there is a long, long steep climb that will work any rig hard, but you don't have a choice on your route.
Hwy 160 from 89 into Cortez is pretty desolate, mostly reservation lands. Winds can get pretty strong at times, we lost an awning near Tuba City once.
Cameron, AZ, has some good-sized stations--one on west side seems to be a must-stop for almost everyone.
Joe
'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:50 AM   #11

Having A Blast yes that road is not for the faint of heart in any vehicle. I have traveled it many times to make my way over to Utah (sans the trailer). It is narrow and very narrow in places, road damage is frequent, blind curves, poor paving, steep hills though short, no shoulder for most of it. There area some oil wells out there so you occasionally run into a big truck which adds to the excitement. It is definitely passable but it is not a good road especially for a trailer or motorhome. At first it just keeps getting worse but then the farther you go the better it gets. Once you get past Mc Elmo Creek it does get better and once in Utah it gets even better and is not really an issue at that point but the first 20-30 miles is not something I would want to pull my trailer on either.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:04 PM   #12

I think the conversation has switch to Hwy G (never heard of it).

OP: Hwy 89 north of Flagstaff and into Cortez and 160 east is an excellent road for RVers.

RE: the Cameron mention...on the west side of 89 at Cameron is a Trading Post. It is highly recommended for a nice meal - especially the Navajo Tacos!!! It also has a high quality gift shop not like a 'trinket' shop. It's well worth a stop. If you need fuel, get it in Flagstaff or Tuba City and again in Cortez. The reservation driving is beautiful, in our opinion, and is not an issue. You won't be alone along the drive. It's a popular route.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:51 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryG20 View Post
Having A Blast yes that road is not for the faint of heart in any vehicle. I have traveled it many times to make my way over to Utah (sans the trailer). It is narrow and very narrow in places, road damage is frequent, blind curves, poor paving, steep hills though short, no shoulder for most of it. There area some oil wells out there so you occasionally run into a big truck which adds to the excitement. It is definitely passable but it is not a good road especially for a trailer or motorhome. At first it just keeps getting worse but then the farther you go the better it gets. Once you get past Mc Elmo Creek it does get better and once in Utah it gets even better and is not really an issue at that point but the first 20-30 miles is not something I would want to pull my trailer on either.
I hope your referring to Highway G, which I can't find on a map, yet.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:54 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I think the conversation has switch to Hwy G (never heard of it).

OP: Hwy 89 north of Flagstaff and into Cortez and 160 east is an excellent road for RVers.

RE: the Cameron mention...on the west side of 89 at Cameron is a Trading Post. It is highly recommended for a nice meal - especially the Navajo Tacos!!! It also has a high quality gift shop not like a 'trinket' shop. It's well worth a stop. If you need fuel, get it in Flagstaff or Tuba City and again in Cortez. The reservation driving is beautiful, in our opinion, and is not an issue. You won't be alone along the drive. It's a popular route.
We're looking forward to it. Most of our travels have usually been all interstate highways, it will be nice to be off them for a while. We will check out the Trading Post at Cameron, sounds very interesting.

Tags
colorado