Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2015, 07:34 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Crossing into Canada

We will be entering Canada from the US in our MH and understand that there are restrictions on dairy, meat, dog food and alcohol. Is this something that we should be concerned about? What has been other RV'rs experience.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2015, 09:28 AM   #2

Made the trip to Alaska again this year, the main concern of the Canadians were weapons, we were prepared to surrender all of our chicken products and fruits but it never came up. Entering the US they took all the chicken, eggs, and fruit. Seems kind of backwards but that was our experience.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:02 AM   #3

Went back and forth several times on trip to Alaska they ask weapons cash drugs weapons how much cash weapons guess I look a little seeded
Old 09-29-2015, 12:41 PM   #4

Crossing into Canada is not unlike any other border crossing into another country. It is in your best interest to know the rules before entering. Making a false declaration can be a PITA.

ARCHIVED - bsf5082: Visitors to Canada and other Temporary Residents
Old 09-29-2015, 07:35 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi jbrown000,

I live in Montreal, Canada and crossed the border about 5 times this summer in my RV.

The main thing that Canadian customs looks for is firearms. You can transport firearms if your on a hunting trip, otherwise, leaving them at home is the best policy. If you do transport a firearm, it must be in a lockable storage box with a trigger lock on it, (my son just got his Canadian restricted weapons permit, so we know the rules).

Secondary things are tobacco and alcohol. If you only bring what would be considered for "personnel use", then you shouldn't have any problems.

US Army veteran, USAF disabled veteran, (yes, I served in both branches).
zogthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:44 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Check out this site: What Can I Bring Into Canada in Terms Of Food, Plant, Animal and Related Products? - Food - Canadian Food Inspection Agency

I go to Canada regularly and find that inspections and questions are spotty when entering. Sometimes I surrender fruit - other times not. The bigger deal is weapons and dogs. If you travel with a dog carefully read the regs about rabies certificates. They must be issued recently and signed. Preferably in blue ink (found this out the hard way)

pets: Importing or Travelling with Pets - Animals - Canadian Food Inspection Agency.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. | Dr. Seuss
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:45 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zogthegreat View Post
Hi jbrown000,

I live in Montreal, Canada and crossed the border about 5 times this summer in my RV.

The main thing that Canadian customs looks for is firearms. You can transport firearms if your on a hunting trip, otherwise, leaving them at home is the best policy. If you do transport a firearm, it must be in a lockable storage box with a trigger lock on it, (my son just got his Canadian restricted weapons permit, so we know the rules).

Secondary things are tobacco and alcohol. If you only bring what would be considered for "personnel use", then you shouldn't have any problems.
I don't think so!! Not coming in from the US! Long guns yes with the $75 per gun license but not handguns.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 06:59 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks everyone for their input.
jbrown000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I don't think so!! Not coming in from the US! Long guns yes with the $75 per gun license but not handguns.
Last summer I was crossing into Canada just north of Glasier. I read the Canada regs of crossing with a shotgun and understood from what I read that I could carry a shotgun across if I filled out the proper forms and paid the fee. When I was asked if I had any firearms on board, I said that I had a shotgun and showed the form I had filled out and was prepared to go inside and pay the necessary fee. The border agent told me that the only way I could do this was if I was going through Canada to Alaska. Otherwise he gave me the choice of going back or bringing the shotgun inside and check it in until I returned at the same crossing. I chose the later.

A couple of weeks later I returned through the same crossing and went inside to get my gun. Since the line coming into the US was very long, my wife drove the MH in line while I went inside to get my gun. I had the same agent and it was a little embarrassing when I left the office because he said he had to return the gun himself to my motorhome. Then we walked past a couple dozen or so vehicles with an agent walking along side me with a shotgun. Heads were really turning from each vehicle we walked past.

Tags
ada