Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2016, 04:11 AM   #1

Crossing into Canada

In late July I will be headed for northern Michigan and I will be crossing the border at Niagra falls to Port Huron MI. I have only crossed in an automobile and am curious what I should expect crossing in a RV. I have passports so I should be good in that respect. Any and all inputs are more than welcome. Thanks in advance.
expedition1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2016, 04:21 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Alcohol , tobacco and certain foods have limitations on the amount you're permitted to bring in and some are excluded from entry. Also guns are strictly regulated,here' some links to previous threads on this. https://www.google.com/search?q=Guns...com&gws_rd=ssl

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:29 AM   #3

Coming to Canada, make sure you have no fire arms or any weapons of all sorts, and no drugs. Second, veggies and fruits i usually don't bring when crossing into or from US and Canadian border. I rather go shopping as get in US or Canada and not being bothered at border.
That's what i do and never have any problems
Have a good and safe trip
Mike
micalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:20 AM   #4

The only drugs I have are the prescription variety so I assume there is no issue there and they are in the original bottles from the pharmacy , and I am not traveling with pets so that should be 1 less issue.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition1 View Post
The only drugs I have are the prescription variety so I assume there is no issue there and they are in the original bottles from the pharmacy , and I am not traveling with pets so that should be 1 less issue.
Yes, definitely bring your prescription drugs in their original bottles and have enough for your trip. You won't be able to get them refilled in Canada.

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/heal...ety/medication
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:38 PM   #6

I am researching the sam thing right now. Both the US and Canadian government web sites have some good information. Also, be aware that things can change and the web sites have the most up to date information.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:55 AM   #7

Hi vettenuts , can you post the websites you are refering to.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:17 PM   #8

last month going into canada was a snap no more than 5 minutes with the usual questions. where are you going? how long,fire arms,food,are you carrying more than $10,000.00 cash .
coming back into the states we were held up for over 45 minutes as he inspected the dog food,dog rabies certificate and went through the whole motor home and suv. i even had to open the generator slide and all bays.
he confiscated one pepper and one tomato for not having grown in the usa stamps. nice guy just doing his job but still a pain.
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:40 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by micalo View Post
Coming to Canada, make sure you have no fire arms or any weapons of all sorts, and no drugs. Second, veggies and fruits i usually don't bring when crossing into or from US and Canadian border. I rather go shopping as get in US or Canada and not being bothered at border.
That's what i do and never have any problems
Have a good and safe trip
Mike
Some long guns are permitted but you have to register them and pay $25.00 fee. Registration is good for 2 months. You can either download the form or complete it the border, much quicker to do it ahead of time.

My first trip out of AK I elected to complete at the border took 20 to 25 minutes. Now I download ahead of time, cuts time in half.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, canada