Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2014, 11:38 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Custer SD

We are newbies pulling a 35 ft FW and heading from Webb City Ok to Custer SD , which is the best route to take and rv parks to stay on the way , we are retired and not in a hurry. Thanks in advance and God Bless.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2014, 12:15 PM   #2

Are you guys Good Sam members. We joined this year and really like their travel application. Also, check allstays.com

al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:12 PM   #3

Streets and trips picks this route
  • North on I-35
  • North on I-135
  • West on I-70
  • North on US-183
  • West on I-80
  • Northwest on US-26
  • Mostly north on US-385

I am mostly familiar with the Nebraska parts of this route. There is an original Pony Express station in Gothenburg, NE, Buffalo Bill Cody ranch just outside North Platte, NE, Chimney Rock near Bridgeport, NE, Carhenge near Alliance, NE, Pine Ridge near Chadron, NE ...

You will be near Kearney, NE ... there is a great museum built over I-80 it shows the history of the area from the time the bison and native americans were the occupants up to and including the construction of the Lincoln Highway (which later became US-30 and replaced by I-80) ... If you like to visit author's homes Willa Cather is from Red Cloud, NE and Marie Sandoz is from Alliance, NE

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:48 AM   #4

Custer rv park

We came through Cody last week and stayed at Big Pine Campground which is about 5 miles from the entrance to Custer SP, 15 miles from Rushmore and 3 miles from Custer. Loved staying there. Owners are great. Our Custer stay is on our website BILLY CHRONICLES - TRAVELS WITH DAVE & BETZ | I write to taste life twice … in the moment and in retrospection. (Anais Nin)

Safe travels.

BILLY CHRONICLES - TRAVELS WITH DAVE & BETZ | I write to taste life twice … in the moment and in retrospection. (Anais Nin)
Old 06-12-2014, 09:00 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Lovely area. One of the places we like to go to is Crazy Horse Memorial. It is a huge undertaking and what I like most about it is seeing the progress from one visit to the next.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:09 PM   #6

Does anyone know what Powder River Pass is like on HWY 16? We have a 31 ft gasser pulling a Jeep Wrangler . . . .have heard there are several sections of 7% grades . . . . Have done short sections of 7% , not much of a problem, just not sure of long stretches . . . . We want to go from Cody to Mt. Rushmore and that looks like the best route ........Appreciate the help !!!
Old 06-17-2014, 09:42 AM   #7

Powder River Pass

We just drove that last week. We have a 30' Sightseer (Gas) pulling a CRV on a tow dolly. It was not as bad as from Sheridan cross over the Big Horns. Just let the engine do the work. Even though there are horseshoe turns we took them slowly and had no problems. Would definitely do it again. Our account is on our website if you want to read the account of crossing. It is a truck route and school buses use this route. Lots of MH's and big 5th wheels were coming from the Worland side over. It's a beautiful way to see the mountains.

BILLY CHRONICLES - TRAVELS WITH DAVE & BETZ | I write to taste life twice … in the moment and in retrospection. (Anais Nin)