Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:29 PM   #1
Custer SD to Cody WY

What's the best route in 40' MH pulling toad? Thanks.

Gene, Gayle, & Oliver
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV
G.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2015, 08:28 PM   #2

40' Plus Toad Suggestions

Haven't been that big yet but have done 30' Plus Toad Jeep Wrangler. A couple of suggestions:
1. Refer to a Rand McNally Road Atlas - Motor Carriers' Road Atlas Version
2. I like the Rand McNally/Good Sam GPS - I'm Using the RVND 7710 - there are newer versions but this one updates and works just fine.
3. This unit allows you to set some restrictions for the route based on vehicle type.

The GPS has never led me into a problem with height restrictions, I need 12' and you're probably a little taller.

Refer back to the Atlas as you select a route and you should be OK.

The last time I was up that way I was riding a Harley so none of this mattered but I'm looking at heading that way next year and I'll be thinking 12'.

Good luck, not sure if I helped but you did make me a little envious!

curbmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:40 PM   #3
Did it 2 days ago with a 39" 5th wheel toyhauler pulled by a pickup. Take 16 west from Custer to I-90 (Moorecroft), I-90 to Buffalo, 16 again to 14, 14 to Cody. Easy low stress drive except for going over the Big Horns west of Buffalo (Powder River Pass/Tensleep Canyon). I didn't measure the climb and decent, but 18 miles up and 18 miles down sounds good. The grade never exceeds 7% - most is 6% or less. The road is wide and in good shape. The turns are easy to make. The scenery going over the pass is great!

andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:05 PM   #4
Thanks to both of you. Andy...That's the route I was looking at. Love the pictures.
Gene, Gayle, & Oliver
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV
G.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:26 PM   #5
If you want a route bypassing mountains, which is what I do, I drive I 80 West to Rawlins, WY, then WY 287 North to Lander, Then 789 N to US26 N to US 20 N to Thermopolis, overnight there (an RV park/motel downtown on highway) and soak in the hot springs a while to relax. Then continue N on120 to Cody. This passes through the Wind River Canyon Reservation, the rock formations are amazing. You are driving uphill (~2-3% grade) but the rocks make you think you are descending. My first drive I looked at the rock formations, removed my foot from the accelerator and the truck practically stopped on the highway.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:11 PM   #6
My family and I just drove from Sundance over the Bighorns into Cody a few weeks ago.

I'll agree with what Andy said. The route off of I-90 from Buffalo on US-16 into Worland, then north to Greybull and west into Cody was great. This is also the pass that was most appealing via the "Mountain Directory West" descriptions.

I've been over Beartooth Pass (212) in a vehicle before - and I really wanted to do that in the coach - but since this was my first time driving it into western WY, I thought I better gain some experience with a simpler route for now.

We did it in a 35' Class A, Ford V10. Since this was my first time on that route, I took the advice from 2 other veterans and disconnected the towed vehicle and had a family member drive it. And it went very smoothly. But for future trips, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the towed. The V10 did fantastic - I'm very pleasantly surprised at how it performed.

So - if you want this to be as visually appealing yet carefree as possible, you could take that route, and consider detaching the towed your first time over. It boils down to a matter of safety and experience.

4RevAndAwe is offline   Reply With Quote