Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2013, 08:51 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Dallas to Nova Scotia

Need help

We were leaving Dallas 2nd Aug via New York about 19th
Due to kids travel plans we now have to bring the whole trip forward starting 10th July
As Aussies I've no idea what this does logistically
Will we need to book everywhere. Is this a bad plan?. Will every RV in USA be on the road?
I'm concerned that we will be in the "holiday season"
All our previous journeys have been August Sept early oct.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2013, 09:17 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You will be in Northeastern USA. Its Summer, you need reservations if you want to stay in campground. Not really any boondocking around here except for big store parking lots.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:48 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
You will be in Northeastern USA. Its Summer, you need reservations if you want to stay in campground. Not really any boondocking around here except for big store parking lots.
Yes

From Gracelands, cherry hills, liberty harbor, Normandy farms Niagara Falls Montreal etc then on to Nova Scotia back to Maine Boston again, New York and Washington again ( swapping children in Boston on the way north then back to Dallas
None of whichever are yet booked
Old 04-24-2013, 06:55 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have been everywhere from Niagara Falls to Nova Scotia and everywhere in between. Its a busy time of year there, but try and make the trip up along the St Laurence Seaway. Its an incredible view.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I've planned this trip as far as Quebec City (still haven't booked anything yet, yes I know)
Got the lonely planet book on Nova Scotia/New Brunswick.
Any experienced know how best to tackle this from here. Do I start at St John on the ferry, go counter clockwise or start at Maitland go clockwise back to there and down the Maine coast.
Still haven't worked out the distances and best places to base for a couple of days in each area.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:40 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Steve,

We are planning on doing a similar trip (New Jersey to Nova Scotia) the week before so we may have some current information right when we come back and you leave. We are staying in St. Johns and then in Prince Edward Island. Don't know if we'll have time to get on the Halifax side.

So thoughts are your trip there:
- Graceland - sign up for the VIP tour so you don't have to wait in line with all the Elvis fans. Also make a reservation at the campground behind the Heartbreak Hotel. Go to Rendezvous Ribs in Memphis!
- Where is cherry hills? I know there is a Cherry Hill in NJ but there is not much to see there.
- Is Liberty Harbor the Statue of Liberty in NY harbor?

If you find yourself in NJ, I have a 30 acre farm that is right off I-78 where you can overnight (about 1 hour 15 minutes outside of NYC).

There will be RV's on the road but don't worry about that too much. Google maps can show you where the traffic is.

PS - make sure your RV insurance covers you in Canada. We had to get a 'rider' on our policy.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here's some info.
https://www.novascotia.com/en/home/p...s/default.aspx

ATTRACTIONS ONTARIO - Your all-in-one Ontario Tourism site! The one with the coupons!

Arts, Culture & Heritage: Prince Edward Island: Visitors Guide

Tourism New Brunswick : Destinations, Accommodations & Activities

Bonjour Québec.com: Tourist information and reservations to help you plan your trip to Québec

The above are all official provincial government web sites.
A thing to remember while in in Montreal, You CAN NOT make a right turn at an intersection. You can only turn right on a Green.
Some new road information about Montreal, Auto Route 30 By passes Montreal around to the South, this section just opened last Dec 15th. Your plan indicates that you want to go to Montreal it's self be aware that when your leaving the city there are two major routes out, One of them goes through a long tunnel, the Tunnel Louis H La Fontaine on Route 25/ Trans Canada Highway, I'm not sure what the restrictions are WRT to RVs passing through it. The other way is across the Champlain bridge on Route 20. This is a very busy piece of road, I would encourage you to spend some time looking at a map to become familiar with the route you want to take. I have done it a couple of times in a car and RV and I find the exits come up quickly with little warning. Also be aware that in the Province of Quebec they drive like Formula 1 drivers, especially in the major centers.
The rest of the roads you will be on are in fairly good shape. If you go to PEI you will probably go across the Confederation Bridge, Excellent views in a Class A because of your height. You pay a toll when your leaving the Island back to the mainland The Confederation Bridge . You can also go by ferry but it costs more but makes land in a completely different place than where the bridge is.
The other Toll road is in Nova Scotia. https://www.cobequidpass.com/Default.aspx .

Lots of stuff, hope it helps.
Have a great trip.
Stewart
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
Steve,

We are planning on doing a similar trip (New Jersey to Nova Scotia) the week before so we may have some current information right when we come back and you leave. We are staying in St. Johns and then in Prince Edward Island. Don't know if we'll have time to get on the Halifax side.

So thoughts are your trip there:
- Graceland - sign up for the VIP tour so you don't have to wait in line with all the Elvis fans. Also make a reservation at the campground behind the Heartbreak Hotel. Go to Rendezvous Ribs in Memphis!
- Where is cherry hills? I know there is a Cherry Hill in NJ but there is not much to see there.
- Is Liberty Harbor the Statue of Liberty in NY harbor?

If you find yourself in NJ, I have a 30 acre farm that is right off I-78 where you can overnight (about 1 hour 15 minutes outside of NYC).

There will be RV's on the road but don't worry about that too much. Google maps can show you where the traffic is.

PS - make sure your RV insurance covers you in Canada. We had to get a 'rider' on our policy.
Thanks
Yes Gracelands Dollywood Biltmore
Liberty harbor RV park is in New Jersey
15 mins by ferry to wall st
Cherry hills is in Washington, D.C.
They do shuttle to train into DC
We shall stay in touch
Old 05-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDSailor View Post
Here's some info.
https://www.novascotia.com/en/home/p...s/default.aspx

ATTRACTIONS ONTARIO - Your all-in-one Ontario Tourism site! The one with the coupons!

Arts, Culture & Heritage: Prince Edward Island: Visitors Guide

Tourism New Brunswick : Destinations, Accommodations & Activities

Bonjour Québec.com: Tourist information and reservations to help you plan your trip to Québec

The above are all official provincial government web sites.
A thing to remember while in in Montreal, You CAN NOT make a right turn at an intersection. You can only turn right on a Green.
Some new road information about Montreal, Auto Route 30 By passes Montreal around to the South, this section just opened last Dec 15th. Your plan indicates that you want to go to Montreal it's self be aware that when your leaving the city there are two major routes out, One of them goes through a long tunnel, the Tunnel Louis H La Fontaine on Route 25/ Trans Canada Highway, I'm not sure what the restrictions are WRT to RVs passing through it. The other way is across the Champlain bridge on Route 20. This is a very busy piece of road, I would encourage you to spend some time looking at a map to become familiar with the route you want to take. I have done it a couple of times in a car and RV and I find the exits come up quickly with little warning. Also be aware that in the Province of Quebec they drive like Formula 1 drivers, especially in the major centers.
The rest of the roads you will be on are in fairly good shape. If you go to PEI you will probably go across the Confederation Bridge, Excellent views in a Class A because of your height. You pay a toll when your leaving the Island back to the mainland The Confederation Bridge . You can also go by ferry but it costs more but makes land in a completely different place than where the bridge is.
The other Toll road is in Nova Scotia. https://www.cobequidpass.com/Default.aspx .

Lots of stuff, hope it helps.
Have a great trip.
Stewart
Thanks Stewart
Ill follow them up
Thanks fir the tips on Montreal
Looks like I should do PEI and go on to Halifax then clockwise then down Maine coast??
Old 05-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
At the Biltmore, make sure you do either the 'Behind the Scenes' tour or the 'Rooftop' tour (or both!).

If you have time, you can drive through Smokey Mountain National Park from Dollywood to the Biltmore.

To further complicate your trip, the Jack Daniels Whiskey Distillery is between Graceland and Dollywood! Very interesting tour.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSkinner View Post
Thanks Stewart
Ill follow them up
Thanks fir the tips on Montreal
Looks like I should do PEI and go on to Halifax then clockwise then down Maine coast??
Your welcome. Here is a link to the ferry info. I haven't done the ferry route.

New Brunswick, Nova Scotia & PEI Ferry Services: Northumberland Ferries Limited & Bay Ferries Limited

Safe travels.
Stewart
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote