Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2011, 12:39 AM   #1

Death Valley

We will be travelling on I-15 in early May ... we are considering spending some time in Death Valley.

I would like comments on route, how much time should I plan for our visit, rv parks,

Thanks for your advice

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2011, 08:01 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post
We will be travelling on I-15 in early May ... we are considering spending some time in Death Valley.

I would like comments on route, how much time should I plan for our visit, rv parks,

Thanks for your advice
We went in on April 19th, 2008 just after they stopped taking reservations and went first come, first served at Furnace Creek CG, $6 a night with Golden Age, no hookups. We spent 4 nights and could have easily spent more, figure a bare minimum of 3 nights with no exit date. You might want to spend a week or more. Make sure you visit Scotty's Castle, we were also very surprised by the condition (very good) of the golf course and the water hazards it had. We stopped in Pahrump, NV before heading in and it was only 87 miles to Furnace Creek from there. It was 94 (dry heat, felt great) when we arrived, but did cool off. There are a lot of must sees, Devil's Golf Course, Badwater Basin, 20 Mule Teams, etc. so visit the welcome center and check with a Ranger.

Bob

Old 03-14-2011, 08:03 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
skigramp:

Hi from Tampa! We're real full timers originally out of Duluth, MN and have traveled and Death Valley area a few times, staying at Furnace Creek.

If we're reading your signature correctly, it sounds like you're presently in Santee, CA, so we assume you'll be heading toward your home in Oshkosh traveling from West to East on I-15.

We run a 45' pusher, towing a Honda Element just for your comparison. From Santee, guess we'd suggest heading N. off I-15 at Baker, CA (Exit 246) and running up Rt. 127 all the way to Rt. 190 at Death Valley Jct. Turn L. (West) and follow Rt. 190 on in to Furnace Creek. Make that your home base and tour with your Jimmy.

Could be pretty warm so get a spot at the hook up campground vs. the large dry camp so ya can run your A/C.

Might also suggest staying over in Pahrump and touring from there.

Steve & Lynette
Old 03-14-2011, 12:02 PM   #4

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I stayed in Pahrump as my home base at Terribles Lake RV park and toured from there. We spent 5 days, some very busy others pretty kick back. Don't exactly remember the route but pretty close to Chicadees except a right turn heading to Pahrump some where on Rt 127
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:10 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' View Post
I stayed in Pahrump as my home base at Terribles Lake RV park and toured from there. We spent 5 days, some very busy others pretty kick back. Don't exactly remember the route but pretty close to Chicadees except a right turn heading to Pahrump some where on Rt 127
We usually stay at Terrible's also, nice park with FHU + cable and take day trips into DV.
Not a Clue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:08 PM   #6

It'll be over 100 degrees every day by then. That said, go for it. Just take lots of water for your day trips and stay on the main roads. Help is a long ways off.

DVNP is the largest NP in the lower 48.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:29 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
May is getting hot and the only hookups (12 I think) that I know of are at Stovepipe Wells. You drive a LOT in Death Valley, it is big and things are seriously spread out, 100+ mile days are pretty common. Titus canyon is a must see but it closes in the summer, I don't know about May. We go in November. We love the place and go every year.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:54 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We stay just outside of the park in Tecopa Springs, CA at the Tecopa Springs RV Spa. There a a couple other parks there also. About $30 a night FHU, but you get unlimited soaking in the private hot springs. You'll need A/C for sure in May. You'll want to spend at least 3 days just to take in the sights on the south end of Death Valley. Things to see-go to the Death Valley web site, too much to tell you here. Make sure you fuel up outside of this area as it's higher around the park.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:03 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Whenever we visit Death Valley, we always stay at the northern-most campground, Mesquite Springs, which is about 5 miles from Scotty's Castle. It's around 1,600' - 1,800' in elevation, so is cooler than Furnace Creek.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:58 PM   #10

Thanks ...

Thanks guys and gals ...

I passed all of this good information on to the missus ... her comment was something like "Why do you want to go there if you know the temperature will be 100 degrees?" ... she does not like heat ...

So I guess we will have to try Death Valley at a different time of the year ... but I am glad I found this out before I subjected her to a trip that she would hate ...

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:03 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post
Thanks guys and gals ...

I passed all of this good information on to the missus ... her comment was something like "Why do you want to go there if you know the temperature will be 100 degrees?" ... she does not like heat ...

So I guess we will have to try Death Valley at a different time of the year ... but I am glad I found this out before I subjected her to a trip that she would hate ...
Go the first of April. That's when we go. For a couple of reasons, first the wild flowers are out (you cannot imagine what they are like) and second, temps are very pleasant.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:23 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
We are staying at Beatty NV only a few miles from DV $25 a night and full hookups, three parks. Beatty RV which we are at the moment. Yes over a 100 miles a day to see the park and no gas in the park so for me with a full tank everyday here is good and there are other services like food and restaurants.

LEN
Old 03-21-2011, 10:48 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
Yes over a 100 miles a day to see the park and no gas in the park
Yes, there IS gas in the park...at Furnace Creek. However, you may not want to pay the price!
Old 03-31-2011, 07:44 PM   #14

The best time to visit Death Valley is during Death Valley Days in early Nov.