Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2007, 06:52 AM   #1

Looking for some advise for traveling. Wanting to see the badlands, Blackhills, Mt Rushmore, etc. -- any suggestions?
Traveling in August (six weeks).
Also when we leave Yellowstone we are going down to see the Grand Tetons.
Routes?? Thinking of 90 / 14 ??

Not sure, still in planning stage.
I know this is alot to ask but if anyone has done this before. We are traveling in a motorhome (gasser) and with a friend pulling a fifth wheel / ford powerstoke.

Thanks for any advise.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2007, 06:52 AM   #2

Looking for some advise for traveling. Wanting to see the badlands, Blackhills, Mt Rushmore, etc. -- any suggestions?
Traveling in August (six weeks).
Also when we leave Yellowstone we are going down to see the Grand Tetons.
Routes?? Thinking of 90 / 14 ??

Not sure, still in planning stage.
I know this is alot to ask but if anyone has done this before. We are traveling in a motorhome (gasser) and with a friend pulling a fifth wheel / ford powerstoke.

Thanks for any advise.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:01 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Rambler1,
Consider:
1. Taking I90 accross South Dakota, Mitchell, exit 330. Visit the corn palace.
2. Exit 131 is the Eastern end of the Badlands. Also at this exit is HQ for the Minuteman Missle National Historic Site. Tours of an actual (deactived) Missle silo/site are given. Tour space is extremly limitted. Call 605-433-5552 to make a reservation.
3. Then it is on to the items mentioned in your OP.

On the way back East, consider:
4. Carthage, MO This is home to Precious Moments (get some points with the females)
5. Branson, MO More G rated family entertainment then you can shake a stick at.
6. Memphis, TN, Camp on the Mississippi River and see Graceland Mansion.
7. Nashville, TN. - See the Grand Ole Opry. In the summer, tickets go fast. Call for reservations 800-733-6779.
Good luck and have fun.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 04:51 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
While at the Badlands, don't miss a chance to see Wall Drug,yer right their. They have the best prices in SD on Black Hills Gold.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 06:00 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I've been to Yellowstone many times and it's our most favorite spot. For some informative pictures on Yellowstone check out This Link to see what you'll be seeing.

There are lots of ways to enter Yellowstone. Our favorite way is to take I-90 out. Staying in the Black Hills is always nice if you have the time and I highly recommend seeing Custer State Park.

The best way to see Yellowstone for scenic impact is to exit I-90 at Laurel, MT (just past Billings) and head down to Red Lodge. Overnight there and take the Beartooth Highway into Yellowstone. Then exit the east entrance after spending a week in Yellowstone and head across the Bighorn Mountains.

However, with a large fifth wheel I wouldn't advise running the Beartooths. I've done it in class As but the braking power and hill climbing of a pickup with fifth wheel just isn't up to the steep grades you'll encounter there. I'd day trip it with the toad from Yellowstone.

In that case, I'd exit I-90 at Buffalo. Take US-16 across Wyoming and enter Yellowstoner at the east entrance after passing through Cody. US-16 isn't a bad road but US-14 has some really steep grades on the west flank of the Bighorn's (and don't even think about US-14A, which is worse ). I've climbed all 3 of them eastbound but I won't take them westbound. The diesel can grunt and crawl up those grades going east but if you try to descend them heading west you'll be running out of brakes because there are no pulloffs or even flat areas to rest them. US-16 is a good choice in either direction and the drive through Ten Sleep Canyon is very scenic. Actually my signature picture belopw was taken there.

After Yellowstone you can head south to the Tetons. When you leave the Tetons I'd recommend exiting at Moran Junction. Head through the Wind River Range and stop off at Lander, Wyoming to see Sinks Canyon. This is an easy pull and also very scenic. After Lander, head over to Buffalo and reconnect with I-90.

I've found that it's best to see the Black Hills before Yellowstone. Once you see Yellowstone, everything else is anticlimactic.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 03:04 AM   #6

While at the Black Hills you may wish to visit Lead and tour the gold mine replica. Take your picture in Deadwood, standing beside Wild Bill Hickock's grave, Anne Oakley too.

Hey Mark! You forgot to mention Thermopolis, the hot springs, and the park there. There really is so much do see and do in WY, you never tire of seeing everything.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 06:42 AM   #7

After seeing some comments:
I was wondering if it is too hot to travel out West the beginning of August. Should I wait and go the second week in August instead of the beginning? I would then go into the second week of Sept. Wouldn't have any problem with snow?

would appreciate any comments.
Thank You
Old 06-18-2007, 07:43 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would wait until the second week.

Less people with it getting closer to school starting time, and should start to cool off a bit.

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:09 PM   #9

Highly recommend the second week in August as the tourist season starts to wind down about 8/15. Many schools start then and the crowds thin out considerably.

You might check out the Ft. Hays Chuckwagon tours and dinner show in Rapid city. This will give you an overview of the area and allow you to return to sites that you would like to spend more time at.

We spent 4 yrs workamping in the Black Hills area and you will not be able to see everything in a short period of time.
Jim Gehlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 05:37 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Out west is very vague. Montana in August is nice but in Arizona any week, expect 100+ temps.

I presume you mean Yellowstone and I agree, Late August would be better, both weather and crowds.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote