Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2014, 02:05 PM   #15

Weird. I been on toll around Denver 4 times in the last 2 years and have never received a bill.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2014, 02:40 PM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
Clipped me for $80.00 a little over a year ago. I called and inquired about this since we were from out of state. They told me this was the standard and also to be expect a non tollbooth toll on I-70 at the Eisenhower Tunnel. Seems to me Colorado is going to pot!
Nice pun!

There is a federal law prohibiting making already built interstates toll roads, so the Eisenhower tunnel is not slated to become a toll tunnel. (It was discussed in 2004, but nothing came of it. From 2004: A $3 Toll To Go Through Eisenhower Tunnel? - 7NEWS Denver TheDenverChannel.com )There is a proposal to amend the highway bill to allow tolls on interstates to raise money, but I see no chance our congress would ever agree on that, heck they can't agree on anything.
Plans for 1-70 through Denver is being tossed about right now is to 'bury' the part that travels on the crumbling, narrow, viaduct in a trench from Aurora to just west of downtown. They would then add toll express lanes to the 'new' highway. Critics say due to flooding possible by the South Platte River will make the trench the world's longest lap pool. Other proposals suggest re-routing I-70 to the north and by-passing the congested areas of Denver completely. I think you'll still be able to visit the region without dramatic changes to the highway for quite a few years.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 12:14 AM   #17

Drive on Sunday morning to avoid traffic!! There is an RV Park in a Golden. Kinda expensive- west edge of Denver.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:10 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Thanks for the heads up.

We're planning next years trips right now and the Eisenhower Tunnel was on the list along with some exploring around Denver.

We were in Denver about 12 years ago and as I recall there weren't any decent RV parks. We stayed at one on the east side of the city and it was a dump.

Any good ones there now? Want to see the Coor's brewery too.

Arch, there is a private CG in Golden that is close to I70 and I476 so it may be kind of noisy. There is a nice state park about 10 miles south of Golden called Chatfield SP. There is also a nice state park just on the east side of Denver called Cherry Creek SP. Both are on reservoirs.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:17 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
There's a reason they call it Taxarado...
You think so, Texas? Lets compare tax bills, bet mines lower. Tabor makes sure of that. I want higher taxes here yet they won't raise them, you know, to help with schools. Silly me, what do the schools need money for.

They do have a very high ownership tax, my MH runs to the tune of $3330 this year, which is high. I can see where you might think that is high....wait a minute, you don't pay that unless you live in Colorado......

So it looks as if I am paying for people to come to enjoy my own state? What?

As far as 470....with a MH and toad the entire length is about $30. If you are already on I25 going north or south, E470 is ridiculous and about 30 miles further. Just stay on I25. We come up highway 83 which is about 6 miles east of I25, so I just take E470. High as it is wide, sometimes I don't like to deal with a bunch of traffic going through downtown.....and the out of stater's that clog it up.......

Please, don't dis my state again........I don't dis yours....and judging from the number of out of state plates I see here every year, I think most are pretty happy to come visit. We have a couple of cheap, short toll roads that have alternative. No where in Colorado is I25 or I70 toll. Oklahoma and Kansas have WAY more toll roads than we do and we aren't up here saying "Taxahoma" or "Kanstax".......
Old 09-27-2014, 02:37 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
There's a reason they call it Taxarado...

Never heard it called Taxarado before. My taxes are very reasonable. And like most things in life, you get to choose what works for you. If you think CO is too expensive you can spend your money elsewhere.

I agree E470 is expensive but it is a eastern loop road that is convenient for the airport and not much else. Other than that it is more mileage than staying on I25. Just don't go through Denver at rush hour and there is no issue.

I feel bad for the unsuspecting RV'ers who took E470 without prior knowledge of how expensive it is. Now you know, so avoid it if you don't want the expense or take it if you don't mind and prefer no traffic and a nice smooth road.

Happy trails to all...
Old 09-27-2014, 03:15 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Used to live in Colorado ...never heard the Taxarado moniker, but overall taxes are definitely less in Texas where I currently live. We have traveled 470 a couple times in a car. I hate toll roads, so the few times we have passed by Denver in the motorhome (coming from the East and headed North) we deliberately bypassed 470 by going North from I-70 at Bennet, then West through Ft Lipton. (found several trucks doing the same). Once we turned North on 85 before we got to I-25 and didn't get on I-25 until we left Cheyenne.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:35 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
Clipped me for $80.00 a little over a year ago. I called and inquired about this since we were from out of state. They told me this was the standard and also to be expect a non tollbooth toll on I-70 at the Eisenhower Tunnel. Seems to me Colorado is going to pot!
336muffin
Colorado WENT to pot a while ago.....(now they sell it everywhere).
Old 09-27-2014, 03:59 PM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Thanks for the heads up.

We're planning next years trips right now and the Eisenhower Tunnel was on the list along with some exploring around Denver.

We were in Denver about 12 years ago and as I recall there weren't any decent RV parks. We stayed at one on the east side of the city and it was a dump.

Any good ones there now? Want to see the Coor's brewery too.
Dakota Ridge, just a few miles from Coors and right off of I-70, very nice.
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 04:15 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here a web site to see how must you owe. Price does up if you are
dragging a toad.
https://www.expresstoll.com/Pages/Home.aspx
Old 09-29-2014, 05:08 AM   #25

Check the Fairgrounds

I stayed at the Fairgrounds camping area for 3+ months. No sewer hook ups, but has a dump station and when I was there the restrooms and showers were very clean and well maintained.

Rod
Old 11-19-2014, 05:57 PM   #26

We recently used E 470 to get from the south end of Denver up to I 76, then again on our way back. We were towing our Jeep. They charge by the axel. Our bill for up and back was $109.00!! Always learning the hard way! Never again using the toll road in the motorhome. Ouch!
Old 11-23-2014, 10:49 AM   #27

The toll road is always quiet , good surface . If you want an easy drive around Denver it's worth it
Old 11-23-2014, 10:55 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlori View Post
We recently used E 470 to get from the south end of Denver up to I 76, then again on our way back. We were towing our Jeep. They charge by the axel. Our bill for up and back was $109.00!! Always learning the hard way! Never again using the toll road in the motorhome. Ouch!
Most do........